• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2022 at 9:38 AM, Iceman399 said:

Oh come on.  I won't even begin with the rest of the comment.

So because HA bought the AF15 9.6 for the most amount of money and the buyer is HA the sale counts but if Dinesh buys a book out of Vinny's vault and never sees the auction it doesn't count?

I don't know who Dinesh is, but there is a common saying that is used often on this board: "Pictures, or it didn't happen." And honestly, pictures wouldn't be enough. I would want to see a record of a financial transaction.

Private or public, a transaction is a transaction.  Doesn't matter the name attached to the widget.  Could be the Hope Diamond, or a Hostess Ho-Ho.  And if you swim in any circle where items sell privately, it drives your desires and impressions for similar items that you buy/sell publicly. 

On 1/11/2022 at 8:37 AM, Chief1332 said:

Private or public, a transaction is a transaction.  Doesn't matter the name attached to the widget.  Could be the Hope Diamond, or a Hostess Ho-Ho.  And if you swim in any circle where items sell privately, it drives your desires and impressions for similar items that you buy/sell publicly. 

Sure a private transaction is a transaction.  

But until we get a like for like PUBLIC sale, that is is subject to mass market participation and scrutiny , it is simply not the same.  Gossip amongst a few guys in the hobby is not anywhere close to being the same , sorry.

-J.

On 1/11/2022 at 10:46 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Sure a private transaction is a transaction.  

But until we get a like for like PUBLIC sale, that is is subject to mass market participation and scrutiny , it is simply not the same.  Gossip amongst a few guys in the hobby is not anywhere close to being the same , sorry.

-J.

Buyers of huge collectibles know others that buy/sell like items.  When Joe sells Dave his $100M Picaso, others that know Joe and Dave may have some insight and are thus influenced.  It drives value or sets value whether they tell 8 people or 8 billion people.

On 1/11/2022 at 8:50 AM, Chief1332 said:

Buyers of huge collectibles know others that buy/sell like items.  When Joe sells Dave his $100M Picaso, others that know Joe and Dave may have some insight and are thus influenced.  It drives value or sets value whether they tell 8 people or 8 billion people.

I'm agreeing with everything you're saying. 

Other than the part about that being equal to a fully visible public auction. 

That is not the same.  Not even a little.  

-J.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:55 AM, Jaydogrules said:

I'm agreeing with everything you're saying. 

Other than the part about that being equal to a fully visible public auction. 

That is not the same.  Not even a little.  

-J.

But I think you could use the public sales to disprove your theory. 

An 8.5 AC1 sold for $3.2M and a 9.6 AF15 sold for $3.6M. What did an 8.5 AF15 sell for? 

On 1/11/2022 at 9:00 AM, KCOComics said:

An 8.5 AC1 sold for $3.2M and a 9.6 AF15 sold for $3.6M. What did an 8.5 AF15 sell for? 

Irrelevant.  What's the Jughead price ever publicly paid for any comic ?  An AF 15.  The economy could crash tomorrow and we wouldn't see another sale close to that for ten years.  Somebody want to test the market ?  Put another high grade action 1 up for auction publicly and let's see what happens.  Anything other than that is nothing but "insider" gossip and rank speculation.  

-J.

On 1/11/2022 at 9:00 AM, KCOComics said:

Also of note , we just saw a "top 4" copy of superman 1 under sell a top 4 copy of AF 15 by nearly ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

(yes, said in "that" voice lol)

-J.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:37 AM, namisgr said:

So the finest copies of Action #1 known to exist (generally accepted knowledge in the hobby which copies they are) don't count for consideration of value because they haven't been sold at auction recently?  That's a weird stance to take.  There's literally no one that would argue an ultra high grade copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 is anywhere near as valuable as the finest known copies of Action #1.

+1

So the finest copies of Action #1 known to exist (generally accepted knowledge in the hobby which copies they are) don't count for consideration of value because they haven't been sold at auction recently?  That's a weird stance to take.  There's literally no one that would argue an ultra high grade copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 is anywhere near as valuable as the finest known copies of Action #1.

Are we talking book comparisons or the highest price paid for a comic? The highest publicly price paid for a comic is the 9.6 AF15 for $3.6M. That’s the current bar. Sorry, Man of Steel.

Agreed. However, could anyone even estimate the selling price of a super high-grade copy of AC #1? I could guestimate, but it would just be pure speculation. According to Google, the highest graded copy of AC #1 is a CGC 9.0, which sold for $3.2 million in 2014. From everything that I have heard, the dentist has the nicest copy of AC #1, but it hasn't been graded.

On 1/11/2022 at 12:53 PM, peewee22 said:

Are we talking book comparisons or the highest price paid for a comic? The highest publicly price paid for a comic is the 9.6 AF15 for $3.6M. That’s the current bar. Sorry, Man of Steel.

Sure, but requiring recent public sale skews the discussion to the more common books at the top of the hobby at the expense of the truly scarce ones whose high grade copies can be counted on two or three fingers of one hand and so rarely if ever show up in public sales.

Edited by namisgr

On 1/11/2022 at 9:53 AM, peewee22 said:

Exactly.  I don't know what's so difficult to understand about this.  Nobody can say what a comic "might" sell for.  But we can certainly say what one HAS sold for.  

Right now , Spidey is King. 

-J.

On 1/11/2022 at 6:17 PM, Grendel72 said:

We can definitely postulate what a comic might sell for based on historical data. We just can't say what a comic would sell for definitively.  

Too scientific. Let's just say Spidey is #1 until he's trumped which probably won't be too long.

On 1/11/2022 at 2:41 PM, Math Teacher said:

Agreed. However, could anyone even estimate the selling price of a super high-grade copy of AC #1? I could guestimate, but it would just be pure speculation. According to Google, the highest graded copy of AC #1 is a CGC 9.0, which sold for $3.2 million in 2014. From everything that I have heard, the dentist has the nicest copy of AC #1, but it hasn't been graded.

In fact, adjusting for inflation the AC #1 sold for slightly more than the recent AF15. Nobody should be thinking that Spider-Man is the most expensive book in the hobby right now only based on a recent public sales, and seems that it's Spidey fans who just want to clutch onto the technicality of the high recorded sale to be on top for a little while (it's nice for fans to have their fun) even though there are many other books that would clearly sell for more (or have, but not publicly or sold years ago so they have to do math for inflation) :D

Edited by Sauce Dog