• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2022 at 1:54 PM, piper said:

I was looking at the current bids on Clink.  The 3.5 is already at 51k with a few hours to go.  Holy :censored:!

Fascinating experiencing this boom month to month and even day to day.  This book has been very good to its custodians in all grades.    

Reminds me of that 6.0 book some folks (@Batmanis#1?) and I have been following on the CL Exchange, wondering how long it will last.  I don't know who owns it, but wish it would just sell already! I can't resist checking up on it.  B/c it's there!  Anyway, the $150K ask seemed within the realm of reasonableness but high, I always thought, until recently!  Don't all the recent lower and higher grade sales suggest that a nice-looking 6.0 is now at least a $150K book?  I would list them all here, but it seems obvious now.  Interestingly, $150K remained the ask up until TWO days ago, when it shunned a $120K offer, which had been pending for a few weeks.  No suprise after the sales results this weekend, the pending offer went up to $130K, but the seller apparently wisened up, too, and now the ask is $165K.  Still reasonable?  Maybe, but if not, soon enough?   I wonder if (or how long before) the offerer(s) regret not grabbing it at $150K just a few days ago.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 1/18/2022 at 11:28 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

So when is ASM1 going to pick up some steam now that AF15 has gone into the stratosphere :Rocket:

as someone who recently picked one up to pair with my AF15, I'm hoping immediately :grin:..But in all seriousness, if $40k at the moment barely gets you in the door for  a low grade AF15, but it can still get you a really clean 6-7.0 ASM 1, I can see more and more people jumping to an ASM 1 instead.

I can see speculators who think they missed the AF15 train move on to the "next best" Spider-Man book, thinking maybe the AF15 run up is not going to continue much longer and there are now higher percentage gains to be had on an ASM 1, and I can also see  real collectors in the market who would now prefer a really clean ASM 1 versus a "beat up" AF15 for the same money. 

I wonder if it is a similar dynamic with Action Comics 1 and Superman 1, but I imagine given how incredibly scarce those books are and the orders of magnitude more expensive they are, probably  not a relevant comparison. 

Anyway, these are just my own unsubstantiated thoughts on what I think could possibly happen next, and I may be very wrong in all of this, and I'm just happy to have both :) 

Edited by skyline23

Someone explain why you wouldn't part this comic out.  Just thumb in the air estimates but probably about right

Sale price as a whole might be $21k, parted out it might get $26k

vs

2/3 Front Cover $5000 or more

Splash page $5000

Spiderman pages 2 3 4 5 $2000 each - $8000

Spiderman page 6 $3000

Centerfold page 8/9 $2000

Page 7 10-16 $300 each or $2000

Back cover $1000

It's no wonder the 1.0 and below are commanding crazy prices.  

img631.jpg.7621324cdd30edab7fc1edeaed4cfd70.jpgimg632.jpg.4d583e0c6afcc1adcb432ad02de49017.jpg

On 1/18/2022 at 12:12 PM, skyline23 said:
On 1/18/2022 at 11:28 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

So when is ASM1 going to pick up some steam now that AF15 has gone into the stratosphere :Rocket:

as someone who recently picked one up to pair with my AF15, I'm hoping immediately :grin:..But in all seriousness, if $40k at the moment barely gets you in the door for  a low grade AF15, but it can still get you a really clean 6-7.0 ASM 1, I can see more and more people jumping to an ASM 1 instead.

The way that I see it is that everything tends to move in cycles when it comes to comic book valuations.  hm

We've clearly seen this played out recently in terms of this book here with AF 15 taking off like a :Rocket:into the stratosphere from late 2016 through to somewhere in 2018 or thereabouts.  After that, it sat pretty much quiet that a lot of Spidey collectors were worried that it was falling behind all of the other Marvel SA keys, and take a look at what it's done in the past year or so with a further :Rocket: ride pushing it even further up into the stratosphere.  (thumbsu

On 1/18/2022 at 3:42 PM, ft88 said:

Someone explain why you wouldn't part this comic out.  Just thumb in the air estimates but probably about right

Sale price as a whole might be $21k, parted out it might get $26k

vs

2/3 Front Cover $5000 or more

Splash page $5000

Spiderman pages 2 3 4 5 $2000 each - $8000

Spiderman page 6 $3000

Centerfold page 8/9 $2000

Page 7 10-16 $300 each or $2000

Back cover $1000

It's no wonder the 1.0 and below are commanding crazy prices.  

img631.jpg.7621324cdd30edab7fc1edeaed4cfd70.jpgimg632.jpg.4d583e0c6afcc1adcb432ad02de49017.jpg

Nice breakdown. I was saying the same a week or so ago. I think we're gonna see a lot of AF 15 pages in the coming year.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:12 PM, alexgross.com said:

it did nicely! 56k!

97EFEE48-96FE-4B56-BF17-E73A16C9CABE.png

2015 Comic show in NYC I was next to a guy holding a 3.0, intensely considering buying it for 10K. I said "nice book" to him and he just looked at me like "mind your own business". Didn't stick around to see if he bought it. Kind of hope he didn't. 

On 1/19/2022 at 9:54 AM, Professor K said:

2015 Comic show in NYC I was next to a guy holding a 3.0, intensely considering buying it for 10K. I said "nice book" to him and he just looked at me like "mind your own business". Didn't stick around to see if he bought it. Kind of hope he didn't. 

Sounds like a rude b***ard to me.

On 1/19/2022 at 1:22 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Sounds like a guy who's nervous and touchy about the negotiation he's about to conduct.  I'm guessing he was worried that any positive comment about the book would hurt his negotiating position.

You know could have been. I heard the dealer tell him 10 grand. The guy was holding it, staring at it for a few minutes at least. Maybe he was waiting for the exact perfect moment to say "I'll give you 9 for it" or something. Then I'm all like "Nice Book" , putting a variable in his method. 

On 1/19/2022 at 10:54 AM, Professor K said:

My first AF15 I purchased, I believe for $3K in 2006 or 2007. A no-marvel chipping 2.5 blue

my lord how times have changed for this book !

On 1/19/2022 at 8:10 PM, fishbone said:

My first AF15 I purchased, I believe for $3K in 2006 or 2007. A no-marvel chipping 2.5 blue

my lord how times have changed for this book !

my first copy was a raw Fair at a LCS for $200 in the mid 90s :applause: I sold it a year or so later to a collector at a gas station for $700

Edited by Primetime

On 1/19/2022 at 10:54 AM, Professor K said:

Having been on both sides of the table, third party observations/comments should be kept to themselves until such a time as party 1/2 have parted ways. Definitely bad form at a convention to make any comments (positive or negative) about a book/transaction one is not involved in. 

On 1/20/2022 at 8:12 AM, G.A.tor said:

Having been on both sides of the table, third party observations/comments should be kept to themselves until such a time as party 1/2 have parted ways. Definitely bad form at a convention to make any comments (positive or negative) about a book/transaction one is not involved in. 

Any privacy at all for either parties? If in a “more private” setting yeah I understand. But walk ups that see discussions on the book in open form, including me, may comment on the book. I guess I have bad form.😩

Edited by peewee22

On 1/20/2022 at 9:12 AM, G.A.tor said:

On 1/20/2022 at 9:55 AM, blazingbob said:

Bad taste comments are generally "Are you going to buy that" or "Can I see it".  

It's not exactly the same, but you see similar dynamics at a poker table where if you're not currently in the hand, it's bad form to comment on a hand in progress.

On 1/20/2022 at 9:55 AM, blazingbob said:

Bad taste comments are generally "Are you going to buy that" or "Can I see it".  

My favourite after humming and hawing for 10 mins and then someone asks them that and they can't pull their wallet out fast enough lol 

On 1/20/2022 at 9:12 AM, G.A.tor said:

Definitely. But to be clear I didn't exclaim "Nice Book!",  I said it kind of quiet right to him. I don't think the dealer even heard it. 

On 1/20/2022 at 6:12 AM, G.A.tor said:

agreed. common sense, you know

On 1/20/2022 at 11:02 AM, Iceman399 said:

My favourite after humming and hawing for 10 mins and then someone asks them that and they can't pull their wallet out fast enough lol 

No,  what is better is they give it back,  you show it to the person and they buy it with the other person right there.

I love the "I'll think about it buyer".  They come to the booth later that day asking to see the book they looked at earlier and its been sold.

Smile a little smile.

Edited by blazingbob