• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2022 at 9:23 PM, UncleBEN said:

Feels like Deja Vu on this thread again.  2c

T206 had no search hits in the AF15 thread until April 2020, Now it has 13 hits (14 now). Sooner or later we will get it.

Edited by PKJ

On 1/22/2022 at 2:04 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Baseball = mostly USA popularity

Spiderman = Worldwide popularity

Huge difference.

I was just using the 52 Mantle as a quick example knowing full well that say Hulk, Thor and the like are now global.

Spider-Man is definitely a global franchise - though I would argue American comic books themselves and vintage comics in particular are primarily a US cultural phenomenon and almost exclusively Western and/or English speaking markets beyond US.    And those international pockets are probably significantly smaller than US.     

This is not a perfect analogy but if the global size of Spider-Man comic market is so much higher - then AF15 should be significantly more valuable than a Mantle at this point in time.   Same rough population of artifacts available on each so the one with larger pool of buyers should drive prices higher.  Mantle still outpaces AF on a grade per grade basis (a 8 sold for $2M back in Nov) though lower grades are getting close (a 3 Mantle just sold for $56k while a Jan Sale of an AF 2.5 was $46k).   This is not analytically sound at all based on the limited data I have spouted off, but  I would hunch that the size of the US baseball card collectors market is probably still a little larger than the global Market for US comic books.     Maybe there is a crossover in the future as US centric baseball wanes and international comic collecting rises.   I personally am doubtful that the MCU materially changes the international market for vintage comic collecting for a number of historic and demographic reasons.  

On 1/19/2022 at 1:22 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Sounds like a guy who's nervous and touchy about the negotiation he's about to conduct.  I'm guessing he was worried that any positive comment about the book would hurt his negotiating position.

I had a dealer stand over my shoulder once as I was doing a big deal with another dealer. I was a bit irritated because I know how some dealers can be, trying to back door people. 

Afterwards, I had a talk with the dealer who was watching and he assured me he'd never, ever back door someone. I became friends with this dealer, and sure enough he's about as honorable as they come. He just wanted to watch, nothing more.

Fast forward a few years and some lies started to come out about my deal and how it went down, mainly because the seller had seller's remorse and rumors started circulating about me and how the deal went down. 

While I normally don't like it when someone is watching me look at a book, I'm so thankful on that particular deal someone was watching, because it did actually blow up after and I had someone who had my back after. :whatthe:

On 1/22/2022 at 6:34 PM, VintageComics said:

I had a dealer stand over my shoulder once as I was doing a big deal with another dealer. I was a bit irritated because I know how some dealers can be, trying to back door people. 

Afterwards, I had a talk with the dealer who was watching and he assured me he'd never, ever back door someone. I became friends with this dealer, and sure enough he's about as honorable as they come. He just wanted to watch, nothing more.

Fast forward a few years and some lies started to come out about my deal and how it went down, mainly because the seller had seller's remorse and rumors started circulating about me and how the deal went down. 

While I normally don't like it when someone is watching me look at a book, I'm so thankful on that particular deal someone was watching, because it did actually blow up after and I had someone who had my back after. :whatthe:

So the deal went thru, Roy?

On 1/22/2022 at 7:46 PM, peewee22 said:

So the deal went thru, Roy?

It did. It was a headache at the time, but it did go through. One day I'll tell the entire story. :devil:

On 1/22/2022 at 8:07 PM, chrisco37 said:

Complete runs of every New Universe title.  Big write up in CBG.  

Probably read it just can’t recall it. Subscribed for years. That’s all we had in the good ‘ole days. “Honey please get off the phone I gotta call about this ad...” :peace:

On 1/22/2022 at 9:41 PM, peewee22 said:

Probably read it just can’t recall it. Subscribed for years. That’s all we had in the good ‘ole days. “Honey please get off the phone I gotta call about this ad...” :peace:

He was being sarcastic. lol

On 1/22/2022 at 6:24 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

I agree I am done with it AF15 speaks for itself simple as that.

I was just giving you a hard time. I understand the reference points and although I prefer the 53 Mantle, the 52 is king.

On 1/24/2022 at 6:44 AM, Grendel72 said:

Coverless copies will soon be out of reach to mortals

Last sale I saw was on Heritage for $15,600. I have a feeling, after seeing the prices of these pages, a coverless copy is over $20k now…

2EF000E1-D655-4941-8D77-05FC7E35788E.jpeg

This is what everyone in the hobby wanted, right? Everyone wants comics to be more valuable.

My momma always said, be careful what you wish for.

On 1/24/2022 at 8:55 AM, VintageComics said:

This is what everyone in the hobby wanted, right? Everyone wants comics to be more valuable.

My momma always said, be careful what you wish for.

Hmmm, I thought comics were something you rode your bike to the store, paid your 25 cents (extra 10 for the Coke) sit on the bench outside and read:peace:

Too bad the value thing came into play.

On 1/24/2022 at 7:23 AM, peewee22 said:

Hmmm, I thought comics were something you rode your bike to the store, paid your 25 cents (extra 10 for the Coke) sit on the bench outside and read:peace:

Too bad the value thing came into play.

where you getting coke for 10? It was always 25 down at 5th and Main