• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 2/8/2022 at 10:55 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

The cover is in such rough shape, I wonder if the goal would be a low-grade blue label or a mid-grade purple label?  Or would the married cover mean the best you can hope for is a green label?

If the staple holes matched up perfectly to where the staples are on your copy... I suppose you might luck into a blue label with a "detached cover" note (but that would be doubtful).  99% that it would simply get a Green label.

Still.... if I had a coverless Af15 I'd be trying to get this cover.... you may never get another chance to complete your copy.

Edited by gadzukes

On 2/10/2022 at 9:40 PM, Aman619 said:

haha.  I worked this up for exactly that reason.  I have thought the Ditko covers that Marvel colored all lacked the gravitas of the darker color of the actual cover. Enjoy.

AF15-DitkoCGC-no-guy.jpg

Wow.  I like it!  I will reserve final judgment until i take it all in (would waiting 59 years be fair?), for a fair comparison.    

Edited by Pantodude

On 2/8/2022 at 2:09 PM, gadzukes said:

If the staple holes matched up perfectly to where the staples are on your copy... I suppose you might luck into a blue label with a "detached cover" note (but that would be doubtful).  99% that it would simply get a Green label.

Still.... if I had a coverless Af15 I'd be trying to get this cover.... you may never get another chance to complete your copy.

It would not surprise me one bit if the buyer does indeed have a coverless copy with the goal of achieving a BLUE label. I think you are onto something with lining up the holes with the staples - I would think one could pretty easily manipulate the holes on the cover, ie enlarge them so that you couldn’t tell definitively or not that the book and cover are not from the same book, thus getting a desired blue label.

On 2/10/2022 at 9:58 PM, Pantodude said:

Wow.  I like it!  I will reserve final judgment until i take it all in (would waiting 59 years be fair?), for a fair comparison.    

thanx.  the graphics are much better on the Kirby version, so I used them.  It also solved the other coloring problem with Ditkos drawing... the right side just becomes a really wide street!  He only drew a few people standing around and a few lines in places the blurbs werent going... it looked weak when you coklor it as extended pavement color... or any color as in the Marvel versions.  I also added a ledge to the building to eliminate that oversized guy in the window Spidey was about to crash into.

Edited by Aman619

To me the most amazing thing about AF #15 prices was that they hardly moved last year while everything else was popping. 

On 2/11/2022 at 9:46 PM, alexgross.com said:

really?

this is for 4.5 copies over 2021. i'd say 32k to 84k qualifies as moving. 

Sorry, I should have been more clear. 

AF #15 didn't start popping until the latter part of the year. I remember because I sold a few around the middle of the year at pretty stable prices and I remember talking to other dealers and wondering why AF #15 wasn't moving like the rest of the market around mid summer.

It must have been the $3.6MIL sale that pulled up all the lower grades after it. 

On 2/8/2022 at 10:55 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

The cover is in such rough shape, I wonder if the goal would be a low-grade blue label or a mid-grade purple label?  Or would the married cover mean the best you can hope for is a green label?

This would make an ideal candidate for Conservation, as that route can reattach the cover to avoid the qualified married label (while also not having a purple restored label). An otherwise 1.0 - 1.8 book like this (once it has an interior) can easily be brought up to 3.5+ range with minor conservation.

On 2/15/2022 at 12:22 PM, DT0428 said:

Wonder what this sale puts my 3.5 at in terms of price.  Has some chipping

AF15 front new1.jpg

Good question since there is some price-compression going on, which should favor you!  And that recent 2.5 for 55K had some MC, so I wouldn't be too concerned. The 3.5 on ComicConnect for the current all-time 3.5 GPA high of $45K on 12/15/21 had some MC, as did the $40800 on 11/21/21, and the $39K on 8/3021 before that. They all went for more than the recent 3.5 w/o MC, which was $38400 on 9/26/21.  Most importantly, your book looks nice.   

Edited by Pantodude

On 2/15/2022 at 1:00 PM, Pantodude said:

Good question since there is some price-compression going on, which should favor you!  And that recent 2.5 for 55K had some MC, so I wouldn't be too concerned. The 3.5 on ComicConnect for the current all-time 3.5 GPA high of $45K on 12/15/21 had some MC, as did the $40800 on 11/21/21, and the $39K on 8/3021 before that. They all went for more than the recent 3.5 w/o MC, which was $38400 on 9/26/21.  Most importantly, your book looks nice.   

Prices are skyrocketing within a few months time so hard to get an exact estimate at the moment.  I guess 60k or so range and that's modest as the 2.5 that went for 55 also had chipping