• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2022 at 2:07 PM, gadzukes said:

Has this been confirmed?  Is the seller a boardie?  It just seems too insane.

while I agree with you that an ebay "sale" has to be taken with a grain of salt, the word "insane" seems to be coming up a lot regarding prices recently

I continue to be amazed (pun intended) at the price escalation for this book.  As mentioned many times in this thread, I paid $4k USD for my CGC 3.5 copy back in 2008.  I should have bought a nicer copy but this was a stretch purchase at the time.  I have a much higher salary now, but comic price increases have far exceeded any wage gains that I've seen over the past 12+ years.

I don't need the money, but at some point, I have to cash out...

There's a pretty nice 6.5 AF 15 in the sales threads right now at what looks to me like a "reasonable" price, if you're comparing it to other books available, as opposed to, say, whether you have to sell your children to afford it.  Not that I'm advocating anyone selling their children to buy comic books.  

On 2/11/2022 at 10:13 PM, VintageComics said:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. 

AF #15 didn't start popping until the latter part of the year. I remember because I sold a few around the middle of the year at pretty stable prices and I remember talking to other dealers and wondering why AF #15 wasn't moving like the rest of the market around mid summer.

It must have been the $3.6MIL sale that pulled up all the lower grades after it. 

definitely the 3.6M sale.  With this new incredible benchmark, it was suddenly easy to extrapolate a higher price in ANY grade by its "PPP" against 3.6M versus say the 1M estimated value prior to the auction.  Who bought it anyway?

On 2/16/2022 at 3:11 PM, Terry JSA said:

Absolutely! Especially with the fake Stan Lee auto lol

On 2/17/2022 at 12:14 PM, gadzukes said:

Maybe towards the end of his life when even Stan had trouble writing his name? (shrug)

Or..... pure forgery?

In our later years many of us lose or will lose the coordination we have/had. I've noticed mine is somewhat weaker even in writing. Even posting on the Boards I've noticed more clerical errors. I'm sure Stan's sig 30 to 40 years ago has changed today. 

On 2/16/2022 at 3:11 PM, Terry JSA said:

although it is possible that this is a real stan lee signature near the end of his life, when he was quite shaky, i believe that the fact that the cgc label simply says name written in pen on cover, without quoting the name stan lee, indicates that cgc does not consider it to be authentic. 

it certainly looks bogus to me though i am not a handwriting expert. i've seen some very bad late stan sigs on books, but they do not look like this one. 

On 2/17/2022 at 5:33 PM, alexgross.com said:

although it is possible that this is a real stan lee signature near the end of his life, when he was quite shaky, i believe that the fact that the cgc label simply says name written in pen on cover, without quoting the name stan lee, indicates that cgc does not consider it to be authentic. 

it certainly looks bogus to me though i am not a handwriting expert. i've seen some very bad late stan sigs on books, but they do not look like this one. 

I don't even think CBCS would authenticate this sig.

On 2/17/2022 at 2:33 PM, alexgross.com said:

Yes. Usually CGC will note the name, such as "Stan Lee written on cover in marker". 

Maybe it was really a kid named Stan Lee and this is his personal copy. If that's the case, we need to track him down and let him know someone stole his comic.

If anyone is getting excited about my 1.0 selling on Ebay please be aware that this was a 0 rated buyer who paid full price from Canada.  I am NOT optimistic I will get paid.  If I do then I will confirm that. 

But until then I would hold off the "new high".