• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2023 at 2:05 PM, DC# said:

Here is my updated chart for 2.5 thru 5.0.   There is another 5.0 on Heritage this week.    Feels like the range is tightening with variances in prices within a grade being very influenced by the usual stuff (appearance for grade, chipping, 1st gen slab, PQ, etc).    And this includes sales that don't show up in GPA (Goldin, ComicLink)

526338408_ScreenShot2023-03-15at11_00_29AM.thumb.png.29c6c3efcd0867dff2fa104e7be16f89.png

Interesting to see how close prices are between a 2.5 and 4.5. 

Not that it's an immaterial amount, but it feels like 3.5 - 4.5 is a good value, relative to the cost of lower grade options. 

Not to burst bubbles or be that guy yelling sky is falling etc… but with this economy I would be shocked if we didn’t have a downwards trend for awhile Covid boosted the global economy that created a bunch on inflation and now with interest rates rising globally people have probably pulled back… also Wall Street taking a beating recently… I know I have pulled back on my comic purchases quite heavily… specially with groceries being so high etc… it’s probably the last bit of downs though I see next year it would probably climb up when rates relax and inflation eases! 

On 3/16/2023 at 3:04 PM, Krismusic said:

also Wall Street taking a beating recently…

but Wall St is like comics. We are up over 18% in last two weeks, not down and we should go further. Banks, down, means fewer rate increases mean our stocks have kicked off again. In 20-21 SA Marvel super keys went nuts. In 2021 most comic art except key Ditko and Kirby had  modest gains. Money was in marvel super keys. Last 18 months though that reversed. Comic art everywhere has gone nuts. SA Marvel super keys down. Limited money out there always moving.

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs
moved form 10 to 18% in one night

Michael Jordan Fleer rookie crashed to $100k from $750k.  That was supposed to be the next one million dollar card.  Same with the first edition Charizard.  Everything is down.  And to be honest, I think prices are still higher than they should be.

People pricing collectibles at 2020-2021 prices and think they will get anything close to it is just silly.

The Heritage 5.0 is at $48k already (closes on Monday).    If it closes there it would basically be flat to prior 4 sales going back to Oct 2022:   Oct $47.2, Oct $50.4k, Dec $48k, Dec $50.3k.   I am calling that pretty stable given where we have been.    Even going back to August prices were $55k and $57k.    

1072632115_ScreenShot2023-03-16at8_35_37AM.thumb.png.7381fa261987e8319471c73cdb041736.png

On 3/16/2023 at 8:39 AM, DC# said:

The Heritage 5.0 is at $48k already (closes on Monday).    If it closes there it would basically be flat to prior 4 sales going back to Oct 2022:   Oct $47.2, Oct $50.4k, Dec $48k, Dec $50.3k.   I am calling that pretty stable given where we have been.    Even going back to August prices were $55k and $57k.    

1072632115_ScreenShot2023-03-16at8_35_37AM.thumb.png.7381fa261987e8319471c73cdb041736.png

i would not be surprised if af15 values start to move upwards again as we enter a true recession any time now. if it's an enormous crash we experience, then perhaps not. but i can't see it declining any more than it has since it's 2021 peaks. it's just too desirable. and there are plenty of well funded collectors who know to buy when everyone else is selling. especially on the better presenting copies. 

On 3/19/2023 at 7:41 PM, alexgross.com said:

i would not be surprised if af15 values start to move upwards again as we enter a true recession any time now. if it's an enormous crash we experience, then perhaps not. but i can't see it declining any more than it has since it's 2021 peaks. it's just too desirable. and there are plenty of well funded collectors who know to buy when everyone else is selling. especially on the better presenting copies. 

Yeah, I just don't see people who will spend $50,000 on a comic book (and probably many more than 1 comic books) being in a position to suffer much regardless of the economy/stock market.

On 3/19/2023 at 10:41 PM, alexgross.com said:

I think so too, and it's not only that a 5.0 which was selling for $80K a year ago is now selling for $50K, but with inflation and wage increases the last 2 years $50K today is more like $45K back then. For sellers, it's a double whammy - that AF 15 5.0 has now depreciated by $30K, and the $50K they could get for it today is more like $45K in purchasing power compared to then. Might be a good time to pick up some of those discounted SA Keys. :shy:

Edited by drbanner

On 3/12/2023 at 8:08 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

This AF15 CGC 6.5 ends in a few days over at CC so far at 74k:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/992325

Grader Notes

Full Bottom Front Cover Small Lite Multiple Stain
Full Bottom Front Cover Stain
Full Right Front Cover Multiple Crease Breaks Color
Interior Lite Cover Tanning
Left Bottom Back Cover Lite Multiple Crease
Left Bottom Back Cover Small Stain
Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color

On 3/20/2023 at 8:07 AM, namisgr said:

Grader Notes

Full Bottom Front Cover Small Lite Multiple Stain
Full Bottom Front Cover Stain
Full Right Front Cover Multiple Crease Breaks Color
Interior Lite Cover Tanning
Left Bottom Back Cover Lite Multiple Crease
Left Bottom Back Cover Small Stain
Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color

Is someone maybe hoping to press and clean that book to get a better grade? 

On 3/20/2023 at 1:32 PM, Krismusic said:

Is someone maybe hoping to press and clean that book to get a better grade? 

I'm sure it's already been pressed at least once.  Besides, pressing won't get rid of the many stains, color breaks, and interior cover edge yellowing.

As stated above - the Clink 2.5 ended at $26.75k which is flat to the prior two sales of $26.4k (March) and $27.5k (Dec).

The Heritage 5.0 ended at $50.4k which is pretty flat going back to Oct ($50.3k Dec, $48k Dec, $50.4K Oct, and $47.1k Oct).   

On 3/21/2023 at 8:34 AM, DT0428 said:

It's hard to believe, but someone bought a 5.0 for $100,000 last June.  Major outlier, but it's still on GPA so I think it happened.  Must have been an upgradable copy?