• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2023 at 3:13 AM, KCOComics said:

I agree. Even with CT removal, this book looks like a legit 7.5. No chipping, good centering, great colors.  It's a pretty book. 

I think allot of people have a bias against CT removal. And if I'm being honest, I do to. Don't get me wrong, I would love to own this copy, but if I'm going to spend 6 figures on an AF15, it wouldn't have CT removal. 

Not sure if that factored into the price or if it's just a soft market. 

For those of us not knowledgeable on CT, where is the CT removal on book and how is it you can tell?

Thank you

On 3/31/2023 at 10:27 AM, NoMan said:

For those of us not knowledgeable on CT, where is the CT removal on book and how is it you can tell?

Thank you

There is no way to really "undo" color touch.  So restoration removal for CT means carefully scraping off the sections with color touch. 

So when you see paper carefully scraped off the cover, it usually means CT removal. 

CT often occurs along the spine, so those very deliberate white spaces are certainly CT removal. The missing pieces along the top likely are too, but that could be something else. 

Screenshot_20230331-135149.png

On 3/31/2023 at 11:00 AM, KCOComics said:

There is no way to really "undo" color touch.  So restoration removal for CT means carefully scraping off the sections with color touch. 

So when you see paper carefully scraped off the cover, it usually means CT removal. 

CT often occurs along the spine, so those very deliberate white spaces are certainly CT removal. The missing pieces along the top likely are too, but that could be something else. 

Screenshot_20230331-135149.png

thank you. I honestly thought that was MC

On 3/31/2023 at 2:50 PM, NoMan said:

thank you. I honestly thought that was MC

MC to my knowledge and experience only happens on the right edge. There's also such a thing as pre-MC too.

But yeah when I first saw the image of the AF 15, only took a second for me to know it was color touch removal.

On 3/31/2023 at 7:55 PM, Dark Knight said:

MC to my knowledge and experience only happens on the right edge. There's also such a thing as pre-MC too.

Most often on the right edge of the front cover, but sometimes on the top and bottom edges and the back cover, too.

Here's an example with extensive pre-chips on the right, top, and bottom:

JIM90.JPG.c151d8a67ee855b26de4ca914960320f.JPG

On 4/1/2023 at 10:37 AM, namisgr said:

Most often on the right edge of the front cover, but sometimes on the top and bottom edges and the back cover, too.

man you guys are way more trained at this than me. 

On 3/30/2023 at 1:43 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

I have seen 100's of AF15's if not 1000's over the decades and I use that experience to formulate my opinions. Maybe the buyer just wanted a 7.5 did not care for it to be top notch for the grade I on the other hand would have not settled for this particular copy.

AF15 is not rare buyers have plenty of copies to chose from every year so why not buy the best you can get. AF15 is rare in 8.0 and higher and becomes much scarcer in 6.0 and higher.

First you've seen tons of AF15s (let's see if a comic book weighed like an ounce, and tons would be at least 2/plural, that's at least 64,000 copies) now 100s and 1000s (that would be a subset of tons).  Impressive.  LOL :baiting:How many issues are there?  I think you've seen them all.  (: Anyway, just kindof checking back in on the boards and am enjoying your hyperbole.  You seem to be passionate about AF15.  All good brotha! :headbang:

On 4/1/2023 at 10:37 AM, namisgr said:

Hey Bob...long time.  Hope all is well with you and family.  All good on my end.  4 brand new grand-kids for us since COVID. :cloud9: My comic collection remains stagnant.  But my wine collection is robust and growing. :headbang:

On 4/15/2023 at 5:29 PM, trmoore54 said:

First you've seen tons of AF15s (let's see if a comic book weighed like an ounce, and tons would be at least 2/plural, that's at least 64,000 copies) now 100s and 1000s (that would be a subset of tons).  Impressive.  LOL :baiting:How many issues are there?  I think you've seen them all.  (: Anyway, just kindof checking back in on the boards and am enjoying your hyperbole.  You seem to be passionate about AF15.  All good brotha! :headbang:

On 4/25/2023 at 10:57 AM, acistaro said:

Well, I might as well make my first post a good one.  I submit my application to join the club, inherited from my father, the great collector, Armand Cistaro III.

- Armand Cistaro IV

IMG_20210927_203017.jpg

The staples aren't rusty but the column behind is.  :)     Beautiful book - your father had good taste.  

On 4/26/2023 at 9:28 AM, acistaro said:

That pipe has looked like that since the 80s when we moved there - and the comics have remained there in acid-free mylars and backing boards in a temp-controlled finished basement with a battery back-up sump pump.  That being said, the entire collection is being brought up from the basement soon, as most of it will likely be auctioned off.  My Dad passed away about 4 years ago now and we're just starting to get the emotional fortitude to grade his collection and part with it.

I'm trying to hold on to some comics - AF15 and ASM 1-50, maybe his early FF run (I don't think I could sell his FF5)... but Hulk 1-6/102-110, Tales 39-99, Journey 83 thru Thor 150+, X-men 1-66, Avengers 1-100, Daredevil 1-100, TtA 27-101, Strange Tales including 89 and 110, Sgt Fury 1-40... will hopefully grade well and find a good home.

Incredible collection. Good luck with it.:peace:

Another original owner collection has surfaced! This is very exciting indeed:applause: Those who think that there are no more new collections to be had are wrong. There will be more coming.

Best of luck to you and your family when you auction these treasures! Your dad definitely did very well keeping these in excellent condition it seems and with the proper care. Looking forward to any updates with the grades and where they will be auctioned at.