• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

Say what you want, but a little bit of negativity can influence people. This board doesn't comprise the entire hobby but a lot of high end bidders that buy slabbed books know about it.

I hope your point is not to stifle free speech on the Boards. If the book is not on a Board Sales thread, I think it's absolutely okay to comment, good or bad.

:eyeroll:

I'm not stifling anything. I'm just pointing out that negative comments can affect sales.

People start to talk something down and it affects auction results.

Potential buyers of major league books are smart enough to look through (and ignore) comments, opinions, etc, of chat rooms and internet sites. (thumbs u

I disagree and I've been saying it for years.

This is not just a Facebook chat room or ComicsPriceGuide.com where people are pumping X-Factor #1.

You might have made the argument 10 years ago that it wasn't that big of a site but 17 years in, this is probably the largest, most concentrated gathering of high end collectors and dealers in the world and certainly the forum most focused on slabbed books.

And not everyone posts here but many more lurk and read.

If something picks up steam here, it catches on out there.

This is not just a Facebook chat room or ComicsPriceGuide.com where people are pumping X-Factor #1.

You might have made the argument 10 years ago that it wasn't that big of a site but 17 years in, this is probably the largest, most concentrated gathering of high end collectors and dealers in the world and certainly the forum most focused on slabbed books.

Gotta second this, seen the phenomenon with other books.

So it got an 8.5 from Voldy and then CGC gave it an 8.5?

Am I missing something here? ???

Is this not the exact same book that almost everybody here was basically implying was nothing more than an overgraded POS book that would only be sitting in a 7.0 to 7.5 slab if graded by CGC? :devil:

Sounds as though everybody's had their eyes checked in the past few months and their vision is so much clearer and now all of a sudden, it's a nice looking properly graded 8.5 book. :flamed:lol

I still don't think it's a properly graded 8.5 no matter if CBCS or CGC. CGC scan is better however than was the CBCS scan ( not sure what happened there ).

I believe it's based upon what time frame you are thinking of. hm

You have to remember that the Voldy 8.5 copy was graded back in either late 2014 or very early 2015. Based upon how books were being graded during that time period, I believe this AF 15 would most probably also had been properly graded at the time as a CGC 8.5 copy.

Based upon how books have been graded during the past several months with the new grading team in place, I would tend to agree with you and think that CGC was just a tad generous when it came to assigning the grade on this particular copy. Especially when you compare it to the CGC 9.0 copy which it graded only about 5 short weeks after grading this 8.5 copy.

I believe CGC knew exactly what they were looking at and the book's associated history when they graded this 8.5 copy and it was a brilliant strategical business move on their part to assign it the exact same 8.5 grade. hm

Say what you want, but a little bit of negativity can influence people. This board doesn't comprise the entire hobby but a lot of high end bidders that buy slabbed books know about it.

I hope your point is not to stifle free speech on the Boards. If the book is not on a Board Sales thread, I think it's absolutely okay to comment, good or bad.

:eyeroll:

I'm not stifling anything. I'm just pointing out that negative comments can affect sales.

People start to talk something down and it affects auction results.

Now, now, Roy........you do realize these are the CGC boards here? :gossip:

You should know that your continuing comments in this vain serves only to provide more supporting evidence for the plaintiffs in their lawsuit against CGC. (tsk)lol

My post was not meant that way at all. But I can see how it can me construed that way. :facepalm:

No worries, Roy, as I fully understood the intent and meaning of your posts. (thumbs u

Amazing coincidence, however, is that I just got a PM a few hours ago from some lawyer or somebody in a law firm. Asked if I knew where you was located and what your physical address was. Absolutely no idea what it's all about, but there was some vague mention about a subpoena or something, and they sure did seem all excited and hot to trot to talk to you. :baiting:lol

Did everyone see the remaindered cover that sold on ebay?

All-things-comics has been cleaning up on ebay with two AF15s that he has parted out.

Some of the pages he sold twice (not sure what that's about, draw your own conclusions).

If you add up the cover plus the 16 interior pages (using the lower sold prices) you get a total of $6106. That's a pretty nice return on a stack of individual pieces plus a remaindered cover.

Here's the list. All of these are from All-Things-Comics

-Remaindered cover went for $2026.

-page 2 went for $420 but then sold for $405

-page 3 went for $586

-page 4 went for $800 but then sold for $405

-page 5 went for $620 but then sold for $480

-page 6 went for $740 but then sold for $536

-6th wrap went for $1625

-page 7 went for $66 (kind of shocking that it went so low)

-centerfold wrap went for about $500

-page 10 went for $105

-page 11 went for $112

-page 12 went for $382

-a different page 12 went for $350

-page 13 went for about $250

-a different page 13 went for $210

-page 14 went for $148

-a different page 14 went for $111

-page 15 went for $120

-page 16 went for $94

Edited by gadzukes

I realize this is the other "grading"(?) company, and no offense to the seller or potential buyer, but is the consensus that this grade is correct?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-Vol-1-PGX-1-5-Nice-Unrestored-1st-App-of-Spider-Man-1962-/401248022304?hash=item5d6c3eef20:g:XksAAOSwa~BYTY47

I realize this is the other "grading"(?) company, and no offense to the seller or potential buyer, but is the consensus that this grade is correct?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-Vol-1-PGX-1-5-Nice-Unrestored-1st-App-of-Spider-Man-1962-/401248022304?hash=item5d6c3eef20:g:XksAAOSwa~BYTY47

There's a thread on this in the Comics General :

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9723223#Post9723223

Looks like it was a CGC 0.5

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9723223#Post9723223

Thanks, didn't see that! Well it all makes sense now!

Any PGX books are a shoot, but any graded in the past few years are almost certain trouble.

Any PGX books are a shoot, but any graded in the past few years are almost certain trouble.

1.5????:facepalm:

Edited by gadzukes

1.5????:facepalm:

The label says Good-, too...

PGX don't even know the GRADES, let alone HOW to grade.

Gotta second this, seen the phenomenon with other books.

+2