• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

Nice looking 9.0 upcoming cc auction

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=701480

Wow that is for sure one of the nicest AF15's I have ever seen!!

Any guesses on what it will sell for?

My guess is that this 9.0 copy on CC will go a long way to keeping the price down on the 8.5 copy coming up at HA. hm

Especially with both copies due out only a few weeks apart.

HA must be feeling a bit :mad: as the 9.0 copy will certainly steal some of the thunder from their 8.5 copy.

This.. well maybe for both consignors I'd say. Talk about terrible timing.

My guess is that this 9.0 copy on CC will go a long way to keeping the price down on the 8.5 copy coming up at HA. hm

HA must be feeling a bit :mad: as the 9.0 copy will certainly steal some of the thunder from their 8.5 copy.

You never know, there might possibly even be a third HG copy coming to market as CL seems to be hyping CGC's newest original owner pedigree collection (John G. Fantucchio) in their upcoming Winter Auction. :gossip:

Looks like they are planning to offer the ASM run first, although there seems to be no AF 15 or ASM 1 posted so far. Wonder if these 2 keys are being held back as I highly doubt they would be missing from this supposedly complete SA collection. (shrug)

If i had the money, i would go for the 9.0 copy. 2 different buying market for these 2 books. People that like date stamps and people that don't like. So comparing apples vs oranges. So the 2 sellers are not competing with one another

I don't think the sellers are competing with each other.

There's enough demand for a high grade copy that they should both do fine.

And if there is 5 or even 6 figure price difference between the two copies, that is a large gap between copies. Someone stretching on a cheaper copy may not even be in the ballpark for the more expensive copy.

And if there is 5 or even 6 figure price difference between the two copies, that is a large gap between copies. Someone stretching on a cheaper copy may not even be in the ballpark for the more expensive copy.

I agree with this. There will be an audience for the 8.5 and an audience for the 9.0.

Also, what are the odds that one day CGC (and collectors in general) will see a date stamp as a grading ding?

Never. It's loved by a large portion of the hobby. It's just personal preference.

Now if the stamp was big or ugly or smudged, THEN it might actually affect the grade in the NM range.

Also, what are the odds that one day CGC (and collectors in general) will see a date stamp as a grading ding?

Never. It's loved by a large portion of the hobby. It's just personal preference.

Now if the stamp was big or ugly or smudged, THEN it might actually affect the grade in the NM range.

+1

I like them most of the time and view them a slight plus. I dislike other marking, e.g. I view signatures as a moderate negative and generally won't buy signed, unless it's on splash page by creator, then I like it but won't pay much for it (except like Frazetta or something).

But a clean date stamp is pretty cool, imo, though I don't have many.

It's a good point. During the 70s I don't know *anyone* who would put a signature on the cover of a comic book, today it's common practice.

There will always be some people who won't buy a comic with a date stamp. How prevalent that sentiment might be in future is tough to predict, something to keep in mind for big books.

I agree with this. There will be an audience for the 8.5 and an audience for the 9.0.

That's my point exactly. :makepoint:

You will now have 2 separate audiences for both of these books. If there was only one of these books up for auction, you would tend to get overlapping interest from both audiences as the 2 grades are actually quite close. A larger audience usually means a greater number of potential bids which usually also results in a higher end result which would favor both the consignor and the auction house. hm

That's my point exactly. :makepoint:

You will now have 2 separate audiences for both of these books. If there was only one of these books up for auction, you would tend to get overlapping interest from both audiences as the 2 grades are actually quite close. A larger audience usually means a greater number of potential bids which usually also results in a higher end result which would favor both the consignor and the auction house. hm

+1

However if the market can absorb the six mid grade Hulk 1 dumps CC just did at once (thanks guys!) during the holiday season , these two comparable higher grade AF 15's will do just fine as well. At least the 9.0 will. What really might imperil the 8.5 is that most of the big players will recognize it from the CBCS holder and will know what was paid for it recently.

That's the calculated risk the current seller of it has taken, along with the original seller who opted for CBCS to begin with. (Though the book has obviously been prettied up since it lived in the other holder.)

-J.

I don't think the two books will affect each other. The overlap will be relatively small at a nearly or possibly 6 figure price difference and I don't think what the 8.5 was will matter.

All you need is two bidders who want each book. I can think of two bidders for each book just off the top of my head.

If i was gonna pay that much for 8.5, that date stamp on the front cover would bother me. I believe thats one reason it sold for that price in the former holder

It didn't sell $70K (or whatever) cheaper because of a date stamp. It sold cheap because it wasn't in a CGC holder, and also because a lot of people were talking negatively about the book.

Say what you want, but a little bit of negativity can influence people. This board doesn't comprise the entire hobby but a lot of high end bidders that buy slabbed books know about it.

Say what you want, but a little bit of negativity can influence people. This board doesn't comprise the entire hobby but a lot of high end bidders that buy slabbed books know about it.

I hope your point is not to stifle free speech on the Boards. If the book is not on a Board Sales thread, I think it's absolutely okay to comment, good or bad.

I hope your point is not to stifle free speech on the Boards. If the book is not on a Board Sales thread, I think it's absolutely okay to comment, good or bad.

:eyeroll:

I'm not stifling anything. I'm just pointing out that negative comments can affect sales.

People start to talk something down and it affects auction results.