• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

Your loss.  I bought my first copy of Fantastic Four #1 from Roy.  I was thrilled with the comic, happy with the price, and satisfied with the transaction without qualification.

Bob, there's no point talking logic with someone irrational.

Appreciate the kind words. I still remember how white that cover was.

Just now, blazingbob said:

Quick flips?  Really?

The book was first sold by me in 2005.  It was later consigned back to me and sold in 2009.  

I was just curious. Some books stay locked in people's collections and others seem to be up for sale a lot.  

It would be interesting to look back at the 2005 pricing.

This book was bought as an investment and at the time I recommended that he sell it.  He did very very well on the purchase.  There are a lot of AF #15 customers that I've sold them to that if they still have them are doing very very well.  

It's not so much the clear grays as it is the whiteness of the paper underneath.

But that is also very hard to tell unless you are holding the book in hand as pictures vary from one scanner to another.

Some scanners can actually make paper look tanned when it isn't.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

It's not so much the clear grays as it is the whiteness of the paper underneath.

But that is also very hard to tell unless you are holding the book in hand as pictures vary from one scanner to another.

Good point, sometimes i like to see pics of books taken on a cloudy bright day instead of a scanned pic

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

True. Here are the backs. Without seeing the insides the 9.4 has more toning. Still a beautiful book.

af2.jpg

12.jpg

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I know what my own eyes tell me about the overall AF market, which encompasses a lot more than last weekend in Chicago.  (thumbsu

We are, after all, only talking about a comic book here.  It's not as though you need some sort of advanced degree in finance to make an informed opinion.  Dealer input is of course always valuable and appreciated, but the "I know better than you, so listen to and believe me and not your own eyes"-schtick is a little played out at this point.  

-J.

Are you guys really arguing about this?  For somebody to say that not a single copy of a book sold over the weekend when Leroy posted that he had sold one just the other day is nonsense.  Nobody knows everything, and to assume that you would be made aware of each and every sale as it happened is crazy to me.  (That point is obviously not directed at you JayDog).

Jim

32 minutes ago, Guardian Comics said:

Are you guys really arguing about this?  For somebody to say that not a single copy of a book sold over the weekend when Leroy posted that he had sold one just the other day is nonsense.  Nobody knows everything, and to assume that you would be made aware of each and every sale as it happened is crazy to me.  (That point is obviously not directed at you JayDog).

Jim

Jimbo all we need are the spikes right?

fof.jpeg.3656027f972f92ccc131b4a9929c7f57.jpeg

Edited by nWo_22

1 hour ago, Guardian Comics said:

Jim

(thumbsu

Well said. 

-J.

2 hours ago, SC22 said:

Yeah throw out the mental health card to protect yourself what a loser you are!!  You only care about your greedy pockets.....you are the worst dealer I have ever ''seen''!!

SupergirlDC1959 is that you ?

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:

Jim

Leroy sold a AF #15?  I thought only the Auction houses could sell big ticket items like AF #15's.  Maybe that is why I didn't sell mine at the show.  I better give it to one of the BIG 3 auction houses.

4 hours ago, peewee22 said:

True. Here are the backs. Without seeing the insides the 9.4 has more toning. Still a beautiful book.

af2.jpg

12.jpg

At the risk of being a broken record about judging books by scans.... here's a tip.  First look at the white areas of CGC labels for any color tone.  Then use that tone to judge all the other colors. In these two books scans, the "greyer' grey copy is a much bluer tone in the labels white areas.  Blue makes colors cooler, as in a cool grey.  The other has a yellow and magenta fleshy tone in the whites, therefore any excess yellow seen in the grey background is also a result of the overall scan "warmer" (yellower) quality of the image. This also made the back cover look much yellower than it really is.

3 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Leroy sold a AF #15?  I thought only the Auction houses could sell big ticket items like AF #15's.  Maybe that is why I didn't sell mine at the show.  I better give it to one of the BIG 3 auction houses.

According to Jaydog, you should, and Leroy should've.  You won't realize full market value otherwise.  :wink:

Edited by namisgr

9 hours ago, peewee22 said:

Clean grays are a plus for me. Look at the difference in these books esp the toning in the grays.

AF15 Screensaver.jpg

11.jpg

That is a huge difference.  I've never consciously noticed it before. Thanks for mentioning it! 

Edited by bringsenseback

4 hours ago, Aman619 said:

At the risk of being a broken record about judging books by scans.... here's a tip.  First look at the white areas of CGC labels for any color tone.  Then use that tone to judge all the other colors. In these two books scans, the "greyer' grey copy is a much bluer tone in the labels white areas.  Blue makes colors cooler, as in a cool grey.  The other has a yellow and magenta fleshy tone in the whites, therefore any excess yellow seen in the grey background is also a result of the overall scan "warmer" (yellower) quality of the image. This also made the back cover look much yellower than it really is.

And the blues are different on the back of those two labels being compared.

But another factor is that the blues actually do differ from CGC label to label (as they used to).

Scans often do not compare very accurately one to another, although in this case I'd be inclined to believe they are somewhat representative of the respective books.

Heritage's scans are reasonably good in my experience (so the 9.4 is probably close to what it looks like in hand) and both were scanned at Heritage if I'm not mistaken (if that is the BC to PeeWee's AF #15, albeit they were scanned at difference times so possibly different scanners as Heritage has changed their scanners over the years).

Edited by VintageComics