• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, fishbone said:

Very altruistic of people to be so concerned about  "any potential owners" ...........  not sure I buy that one..............  anyway, I'm not pointing fingers, just commenting on Ray's comment about where the chat boards are now. My feeling over the years of reading many many threads about big books in auctions (especially in Gold)  is generally that of negativity towards the grade/look of the books  to the point where one has to wonder if people do try to influence the outcome of certain auctions/sales.  

If I'm a seller, or a soon-to-be seller of said book, I would be unhappy to read such down-talking of a book. If I were a dealer or prospective buyer, I would encourage the down-talking. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, as I've been and will be in both positions many more times I expect, just pointing out that the Chat Boards aren't always rainbows and unicorns and I don't think they've changed that much over the years. 

(thumbsu

11 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Just curious about that 9.6 that sold privately for 1.1 mil. It was talked shortly there after that due to 2 more 9.6s joining the census, that it would be a catastrophic loss should the owner ever try to sell. Well how about now? In this current surge in price across the board? Does it reach the 9.6 book(s)?

You have to remember that the record setting $1.1M dollar you are referring to took place 6 years ago all the way back in 2011. 

That auction result was definitely an outlier at the time and almost everybody said the buyer would have lost money at the time if the book went straight back out into the marketplace in terms of an attempted flip at the time.  :tonofbricks:

If you are talking about now in 2017, the buyer would most definitely be making money on the book.  Especially with the way prices have been going with the AF 15's during the past couple of years.  Of course, if you are talking about a 6-year time frame which it would now be, it's really more of a long term investment as opposed to a short term flip.  Just not the same thing as it's really apples and oranges then. hm  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, BIZZARRO said:

I own a 3.0 af15 with slight a restoration 

small color touch on the cover. Where would that fall in a price/value? 

Dude, you need to have a pro look at that to see if the ct can be removed.  Was it Pro or Am?  If it's a "small ct" then you might only take a half grade hit.  But the value would skyrocket if you got a Blue label.

2 minutes ago, BIZZARRO said:

It was small Ct and it was professional restoration. 

If you don't mind posting a pic of your book there are Board members who are pretty sharp in resto issues.

15 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Dude, you need to have a pro look at that to see if the ct can be removed.  Was it Pro or Am?  If it's a "small ct" then you might only take a half grade hit.  But the value would skyrocket if you got a Blue label.

Agreed!!

5 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:
6 hours ago, fishbone said:

I remember even back when I first joined the Boards in 2007 , that "big" books for sale were often hammered for every micro defect  ,  CGC grades questioned and typically talked downwards, I'm not so sure that has changed  much. And I'm talking about this happening mainly in Gold threads.

I just think that AF15 has now become one of those really "big" books, especially speculation wise , for dealers or collectors who want to quick flip (pseudo-dealers).  

This 'talking down the book' all started when i asked about the gray become yellowish 7.5.  It was never my intention to 'talk the book down'.  I found it very helpful to get pewees input on the matter.  It appears he's the only other board member that cares about the gray background.

When I said 'talked up or down' I was specifically talking about values, not aesthetics.

There's nothing wrong with talking about what you like or dislike about a comic.

Most threads now devolve into investment threads and how to maximize on returns.

29 minutes ago, BIZZARRO said:

It was small Ct and it was professional restoration. 

Your 3.0 looks nice. I looked and looked for the downgrade because the front looks great. Looks like a piece missing on lower back bottom edge. Still, depends on the amount of CT (color touch) and if it can safely be removed. You'd probably be much happier with a 2.0 to 2.5 Blue but I'm not a resto expert. (thumbsu 

Edited by peewee22

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

When I said 'talked up or down' I was specifically talking about values, not aesthetics.

There's nothing wrong with talking about what you like or dislike about a comic.

Most threads now devolve into investment threads and how to maximize on returns.

(thumbsu

On 2017-04-26 at 9:44 PM, dem1138 said:

Fwiw as I understand it the buyer of the CC 4.5 and 5.0 was the same person, not a dealer, and I don't think bought with the intention or intends to crack/press/resub. 

Today I spoke to the buyer mentioned above.

He bought the 4.5 and the 5.5 Qualified, not the record setting 5.0.

As for his intentions, he's well aware of the crack / press / resub procedure and he commented at how much nicer the 4.5 looked than the given grade.

Edited by VintageComics

19 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

(thumbsu

22 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

(thumbsu

41 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Your 3.0 looks nice. I looked and looked for the downgrade because the front looks great. Looks like a piece missing on lower back bottom edge. Still, depends on the amount of CT (color touch) and if it can safely be removed. You'd probably be much happier with a 2.0 to 2.5 Blue but I'm not a resto expert. (thumbsu 

The resto is amateur.  That means paper loss to remove. Depending on how much book could really drop in grade. 

2 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

The resto is amateur.  That means paper loss to remove. Depending on how much book could really drop in grade. 

Sounds expensive to remove it.

Just now, peewee22 said:

Sounds expensive to remove it.

Not really. But amateur means bleed through. Lots of paper loss to remove. I'd leave as is

Just now, BIZZARRO said:

So if resto is left how much could I expect to see if I want to try to upgrade?

Should sell about 1.0 to 1.5 range if you can find a buyer that doesn't mind the resto