• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Well, if whoever bought that 4.0 for $35.8K did so with borrowed money, then we're talking bubble behavior squared. More generally, I don't think there's much relationship between comic prices and interest rates.

Just pulled this nugget off the NY Fed's website.  "Total household indebtedness stood at $12.73 trillion as of March 31, 2017, marking a $149 billion or 1.2 percent increase from the fourth quarter of 2016. This increase put overall household debt $50 billion above its previous peak set in the third quarter of 2008 and 14.1 percent above the trough set in the second quarter of 2013."  Hopefully, people are being smart about borrowing to finance comic books but in general the consumer is at an all time comfort level and prices of comics are benefitting from it.

4 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Enjoy your life and I will enjoy mine!!

You're Ayn Rand self-exclusive perspective is what turns many off. Perhaps you should consider emailing yourself your opinions so at least one person will find agreement?

34 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Just pulled this nugget off the NY Fed's website.  "Total household indebtedness stood at $12.73 trillion as of March 31, 2017, marking a $149 billion or 1.2 percent increase from the fourth quarter of 2016. This increase put overall household debt $50 billion above its previous peak set in the third quarter of 2008 and 14.1 percent above the trough set in the second quarter of 2013."  Hopefully, people are being smart about borrowing to finance comic books but in general the consumer is at an all time comfort level and prices of comics are benefitting from it.

I raised questions about auction house time payment plans. Borrowing to finance comics can be risky.  Can you afford it if you have to finance the purchase? Best of luck to those who are and can't because unlike the housing-bank crisis in 2008, the government isn't going to bail them out since none of them are too big to fail.

Id like to know how many default or will as interests rates go up?

Edited by bronze johnny

14 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Actually, you are again rewriting history again as we covered this. Dem heard about the buyer. I later posted that I know the buyer direcetly and corrected Dem's post because Dem got the grades wrong

The buyer bought the 4.5 (which he said looked amazing for the grade) and the Qualified 5.5 I think it was (can't remember the exact grade).

He did not buy the 5.0 or the 9.0.

Easy.

6.5 copies were selling right in the pocket of where they should have been selling.

6.0 copies were selling in the high $30's to low $40's and 7.0 copies were selling north of $60K.

The 'more than $20 grand higher than any prior sale' was 2013 sales prices.

Are you using sales prices from 3 years prior to show there was some sort of a spike in 2016?

Come on now.

Looks like you're only relying on GPA.  

After the 9.4 sold on Heritage Forrest blockbuster price, and right BEFORE the first 6.5 sold on CC for $50k, a 6.5 quietly sold on comic link for $35k after being there for about a month with little fanfare.  It was actually SC22's copy and he purchased it when he saw that the 6.5 on CC was like going to break records  (which it later did, by the aforementioned 20k as reported by GPA in 2013, and by 15k that SC22 paid for his in a shrewd move just a few weeks earlier, those price sales of a 6.0 notwithstanding.    

All this does is continue to support my assertion that the market spike was in fact triggered by the 9.4 offering, perhaps building to a crescendo with the 8.5 sale and then Ghostown's sale, further consummated by the CC auction, and still ongoing now (6.5 now at $60k+, 8.5 on C link may break $180k, etc., mere months after setting other recent highs).

As to the 8.5 sale I knew exactly why the sale raised eyebrows.  If I wasn't clear with my explanation then I apologise.  But there's no need to re write history when you you actually know the whole story.  (thumbsu

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

2 hours ago, SC22 said:

lollll hahaha marriage is no different than been in a long term relationship give me a break....ohhhh the day you get married you suddenly levitate above those in long term relationships and experience these new incredible things....hahahaha yeah right!! Relationships = love + time....marriage = love + time + a piece of paper....ohhhh what a difference!!

Wow, this is one of the most immature comments I have ever read on the Boards. First, you are being very disrespectful to bronze johnny. No need for all the hahaha's. Second, you are so absolutely wrong. As you can only know if you ever get married, being in a relationship is not even close to what it's like being married. Because you had a girlfriend or two you are an expert on life, marriage, and relationships ? Time to change your Board name again. You just lost what little credibility you had here. 

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...

Whether it's someone arguing their perspective beyond exhaustion against experience in order to "be right" or someone who appears completely oblivious to their own confirmation bias and self-fulfilling prophecy, I need to accept this thread for what it has become.  

Edited by cbbcomics

34 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

You're Ayn Rand self-exclusive perspective is what turns many off. Perhaps you should consider emailing yourself your opinions so at least one person will find agreement?

I just said enjoy your life and I will enjoy mine what is so self-exclusive about that?

16 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Wow, this is one of the most immature comments I have ever read on the Boards. First, you are being very disrespectful to bronze johnny. No need for all the hahaha's. Second, you are so absolutely wrong. As you can only know if you ever get married, being in a relationship is not even close to what it's like being married. Because you had a girlfriend or two you are an expert on life, marriage, and relationships ? Time to change your Board name again. You just lost what little credibility you had here. 

Marriage divorce rates are 50% if not 60% (I don't see that as a good deal to be jumping on at all) so don't give me all this marriage is all sooo sooo good of a life....most of the time there is always one of the 2 that loves the other more and most people stick together either for the kids sake or money or both....very rarely because both truly love each other. I have talked with a lot of elderly people and they always say the same thing when my husband or wife passed away at first it was hard but ever  since I got over it these have been the best years of my life....with only a few exceptions of course.  I work in the filed of human behavior son don't try to feed me all this non sens about how pretty married life is for most. A lot of married people are in denial or just don't want to go threw the whole hassle of getting out of it. Anyways we should get back to AF15 this is not a marriage chat board.

Edited by SC22

1 hour ago, cbbcomics said:

Whether it's someone arguing their perspective beyond exhaustion against experience in order to "be right" or someone who appears completely oblivious to their own confirmation bias and self-fulfilling prophecy, I need to accept this thread for what it has become.  

I'm assuming by this you are also including useless comments from the peanut gallery.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

29 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Marriage divorce rates are 50% if not 60% (I don't see that as a good deal to be jumping on at all) so don't give me all this marriage is all sooo sooo good of a life....most of the time there is always one of the 2 that loves the other more and most people stick together either for the kids sake or money or both....very rarely because both truly love each other. I have talked with a lot of elderly people and they always say the same thing when my husband or wife passed away at first it was hard but ever  since I got over it these have been the best years of my life....with only a few exceptions of course.  I work in the filed of human behavior son don't try to feed me all this non sens about how pretty married life is for most. A lot of married people are in denial or just don't want to go threw the whole hassle of getting out of it. Anyways we should get back to AF15 this is not a marriage chat board.

Now you're being disrespectful to bomber bob. There's no need to be condescending. The views that we have about marriage are based on our experiences with it. You've never tasted the bread. You can read about the bread. Someone can tell you about the bread. The bread can appear to look nice. Still, you will never know whether you will like the bread or not until you've tasted it yourself. You haven't. 

Again, dismissing boardies like this is not a good thing. No need to remind anyone what this thread should be about.

Edited by bronze johnny

31 minutes ago, SC22 said:

No matter the topic you still sound clueless. Marry your AF15. 

39 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Anyways we should get back to AF15 .

I've been telling you this for months now. This thread should be about the book and not about YOU. I asked you a while back to consider taking a break from posting but all you did was change your name and come roaring back. You own some cool books, including an AF15, kudos. We all know where you are coming from, no need come trolling here every, single day. IMO, you are annoying most of us. If I am wrong and some of you enjoy SC22's commentary feel free to step forward. 

1 hour ago, cbbcomics said:

Like this.

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I've been telling you this for months now. This thread should be about the book and not about YOU. I asked you a while back to consider taking a break from posting but all you did was change your name and come roaring back. You own some cool books, including an AF15, kudos. We all know where you are coming from, no need come trolling here every, single day. IMO, you are annoying most of us. If I am wrong and some of you enjoy SC22's commentary feel free to step forward. 

I like SC22 posts.  He's on top of things.  I like the opinions as well.  I see to many of the same people leaving notes about why this was done or not done as they seem to be in the KNOW and I have to take their comments at face value only.  I assume everyone has an angle.  I think the AF15 prices are whacked, but if you can afford it, I'm happy for you.  What goes up, will go down and reset again.  

Edited by Agent 007
typo

5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Looks like you're only relying on GPA.  

I'm relying on mean (average) prices and trends, not just outliers.  GPA is great for that on common moving books.

When you get into high grade like the 9.0, 9.2 and 9.4 sales you don't have the volume to plot many data points so you have to try to decipher where in the price structure they fall. Was it an outlier, is  it indicative of the market, what other factors influenced the sale (time of day, time of year, venue of choice, etc). These are all things I consdier when I come to a conclusion about what I feel is correct about a given market for a book.

After the 9.4 sold on Heritage Forrest blockbuster price

Jay, you often interject descriptive words like 'blockbuster' to try to solidify your argument. Again, there was nothing blockbuster about the $450K sale. Metro was offering $450K for 9.4s last year.

Now if you mean 'blockbuster' to mean big, just because $450K is a big number for the average person to spend then I would agree. But it was an expected price well before the auction started.

a 6.5 quietly sold on comic link for $35k after being there for about a month with little fanfare.

I can't comment on that sale as I don't remember it. What was the date that the book sold on?

All this does is continue to support my assertion that the market spike was in fact triggered by the 9.4 offering, perhaps building to a crescendo with the 8.5 sale and then Ghostown's sale, further consummated by the CC auction, and still ongoing now (6.5 now at $60k+, 8.5 on C link may break $180k, etc., mere months after setting other recent highs).

If Metro was openly offering $450K for a 9.4 and the Heritage copy sold for $450K then you would think the Heritage copy under performed slightly. And maybe the slight tanning turned off a few bidders (just a guess).

Also, AF #15 was already a $100K+ book in 8.0 and a $225K book in 9.0 last year (there are documented examples including PeeWee's Heritage offer on his 8.0 and a Voldemart 9.0 that sold for $230K (give or take)). Where exactly would that put the price point for an 8.5? I had the opportunity to buy an AF #15 CGC 8.5 for $120,000 about 5 years ago and passed because I put that price at full retail and couldn't make a profit at that price. If you think about it, the 8.,5 slightly underformed as well.  I can only presume that it's history affected the bidding a bit (although it shouldn't have).

But the point is the $450K 9.4 sale and the 8.5 $150K were not building to a crescendo. In fact, those numbers may have been on the low side.

Guys, (especially those of you that own AF #15's) I don't want you to misunderstand me.

I'm not talking about whether AF #15 is not a terrific book to own.

I'm not saying it shouldn't increase in price or is not a good investment.

I'm not trying to talk the book down.

All I am saying is that prices doubling and tripling in a year on a book that has already been steadily increasing is unsafe for the long haul.

It's great for those who want to get in and out but not good for building a stable hobby.

6 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

I raised questions about auction house time payment plans. Borrowing to finance comics can be risky.  Can you afford it if you have to finance the purchase? Best of luck to those who are and can't because unlike the housing-bank crisis in 2008, the government isn't going to bail them out since none of them are too big to fail.

Id like to know how many default or will as interests rates go up?

I can see someone taking on short-term time payments to stretch for a book, but anyone who is trying to leverage up his comic book investing is really rolling the dice.