• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I now have an AF #15 in 5.0 and an Avengers #1 in 8.0.  By far the two biggest investments I've ever made in individual books.  Now I need to go after ASM #1, JIM #83, TOS #39, and the rest of the keys on my list.

Congrats on your acquisitions and look forward to hear of new ones. (thumbsu

7 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

And like Bob said, I'm a collector and I have no intention of flipping this book.  Thanks to Bob, I now have an AF #15 in 5.0 and an Avengers #1 in 8.0.  By far the two biggest investments I've ever made in individual books.  Now I need to go after ASM #1, JIM #83, TOS #39, and the rest of the keys on my list.  :whee:

Avengers 1 and JIM 83 are the next two in my list. I would love to see that Avengers 1 8.0! It sounds like you have an awesome list ;-). Good luck acquiring the rest of the books and enjoy as much as you can!

I am going to put my AF15 on the market late this fall. It's a 5.0 CGC universal  graded in January '17. Slab case is pristine.  I would love to hear some opinions about where it would be best to market the book- excepting ebay, I won't do ebay

Edited by Glassman10

34 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

I am going to put my AF15 on the market late this fall. It's a 5.0 CGC universal  graded in January '17. Slab case is pristine.  I would love to hear some opinions about where it would be best to market the book- excepting ebay, I won't do ebay. 

I would think one of the 3 main comic auction houses.

Their huge reach and ability to attract many bidders for a book like this justifies their commission, IMO.

Of course an auction format is always a risk, but less risky for a "liquid" book like AF15.... and a lot of potential upside if the copy presents well, and 2 or 3 bidders are willing to pay a premium... 

8 minutes ago, jabats said:

Their huge reach and ability to attract many bidders for a book like this justifies their commission, IMO.

Of course an auction format is always a risk, but less risky for a "liquid" book like AF15.... and a lot of potential upside if the copy presents well, and 2 or 3 bidders are willing to pay a premium... 

Back to school (The fall) and December are the worst months to auction big keys.   

7 minutes ago, jabats said:

Or you could consider a reputable dealer.  Blazing Bob sold my copy of AF15 on consignment, and it went great.  He's got a large clientele for the book, and so you can get top dollar for yours, it'll sell quickly, his consignment fee is smaller than the auction houses, and you'll get paid right after he does.

I would be able to sell that 5.0 right away.  Not sure why the seller has to wait until the fall.  If you have a nice gain in the book I'm not sure why holding out a few more bucks makes any sense.  And frankly the end of the year is the best time of the year for me to buy keys,  not sell them.  

20 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Back to school (The fall) and December are the worst months to auction big keys.   

That's how I got my Cap 1 (sorry to infiltrate the AF 15 thread with that response but that's what came to mind )

1 hour ago, jabats said:

I'd go with Bob (Highgrade Comics) - great, straightforfard, trustworthy, and he's the sweetest guy in the hobby!

13 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I sure am!  The book should be arriving on Monday, and I can't wait to see it up close.  Thanks for the kind words!

This particular copy's extraordinary eye appeal for its grade is what made me pounce.  And if I'm going to be completely honest, the overwhelming level of AF 15 interest and discussion on these boards was a factor as well.  Seeing the clear emerging consensus that AF #15 is the most desirable book of the Silver Age, and seeing the way Marvel seems to be (re-)positioning Spider-Man as the center of its universe for a new generation of fans, gives me confidence in this book's ability to maintain and even increase its value over time.

And like Bob said, I'm a collector and I have no intention of flipping this book.  Thanks to Bob, I now have an AF #15 in 5.0 and an Avengers #1 in 8.0.  By far the two biggest investments I've ever made in individual books.  Now I need to go after ASM #1, JIM #83, TOS #39, and the rest of the keys on my list.  :whee:

Please post it.

28 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Here you go ...

Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 5.0.jpg

Very nice copy Lou !

It's nice to see copies that don't have MC on them.

Edited by Gotham Kid