• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

I believe you are correct, I didn't see it on my initial look , but after you pointed it out, it's quite clear

If that is correct that this Brown area is inpainted, then 'small amount' is a misplaced term.

in the old grading system "small amount" meant small i.e. Down to  2-3 miniscule dots on the spine.

The AF15 CGC 5.0 with a lot of marvel chipping sold for 38 240$ (My guess is it is worth about 30% less than a 5.0 with no marvel chipping or 55 000$).

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vg-fn-50-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7166-91168.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by SC22

25 minutes ago, SC22 said:

The AF15 CGC 5.0 with a lot of marvel chipping sold for 38 240$ (My guess is it is worth about 30% less than a 5.0 with no marvel chipping or 55 000$).

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vg-fn-50-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7166-91168.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Yeah, not the strongest eye appeal for a 5.0 with all that chipping.

17 minutes ago, Transplant said:

Yeah, not the strongest eye appeal for a 5.0 with all that chipping.

No but that is just the cover the interior may look nice for a 5.0 but people in this age of graded books put a whole lot on emphasis on the front covers eye appeal since they can no longer look threw the whole book and get a idea of the overall eye appeal. That is one of the downsides to grading companies people are now buying/paying for the cover more than anything else. Overall the book is still a 5.0. You can pay 55 000$ for a 5.0 with no marvel chipping but that has more problems on the inside of the book than say this CGC 5.0 that just sold. Chose your poison or you can get lucky and buy a 5.0 with no marvel chipping and almost no issues on the inside but then I have to ask why is it even graded a 5.0 (guess that is where the guys that hope to have a upgrade come in). People now go for the cover and I don't think that will change in this era of graded books.

Edited by SC22

Highgrade comics currently has my 5.0 and it is offered at $55K which is the price Bob suggested and he did not think it would take long to sell. It  will go to the London show as well as Chicago and he's happy to put it out there. . I happen to agree about not being able to see the interior pages but the trouble with monetizing comics through grading companies is there's no access. In its own weird way it's like having unopened baseball card packs. I had the AF15 for about fifty years and it was not slabbed. I think it was read twice in that time, most recently by my son last December. I can only attest that the core is trouble free . He took a ton of pictures of it and posted them on Reddit but Reddit took them down  over the question of copyright issues as I recall. He just put up too many pictures.  I'm glad he got to do that. It might be the case that he still has those interior shots in his phone and I'll ask him. Owning an AF15 and actually reading it are two very different animals. I did take a number of scans  of it before it was slabbed but it didn't occur to me to shoot the interior.  Kind of dumb on my part. 

Edited by Glassman10
additional info

I certainly think that it won't go down anytime soon and would think it's possible that it will stabilize eventually. That being said,  a 4.0 sold for 35K a month back. Buy the book, not the grade . It strikes me that the book is not rare but that it's the case that so many people want the book compared to how many there are. CGC show a 1.8 with tape on it right now for 13K and a 2.5 for $9,900 restored. Restored never do all that well and it's a well loved (how to put it) example of the lower grades. Lots of chips in both books. It seems to me these days that it's about 10K per grading point until you get to 7.0.Then it takes off and the census on all the grades shows the rarity of each grade.

No matter what you do, it's pricey. 

6 hours ago, yanksarod22 said:

I have an amazing fantasy 15 5.5 no chipping very nice should I hold or should I get out now

I've owned mine for fifty years. I found it in a box of comics in the '60's. I considered selling it every time there was a recession yet I never did. In 1968, I think it would pull about 80 dollars. In all this time, until now I've hung on to mine and after every recession, it just went up. I'm at an age where selling it will give my son a down payment on a house and I can't see keeping it having any real benefit for an old man. For Him? It's a golden ticket. So for me, I could see nothing good coming from keeping it. The artwork is terrible. He's a great kid and brilliant at what he does but like so many millennials, it's really difficult out there.  So I decided to let the whole collection go except for the JIM and the Thor and even that stuff doesn't really shine for me anymore. I do find it pretty funny to see Jane Foster dreaming about  giving Thor a haircut or Ironing his cape. 

So, I don't think it's going down anytime soon. If you really need the money, I'd recommend turning it over to Bob Storm. I'm not seeing an advantage in going to auction.  If you don't need the money, a 5.5 is a good chunk of change and could list at 60K.  But right now, that grade seems pretty fluid to me going up, not down. .  So are the prices for a young couple wanting a home. 

On 8/11/2017 at 9:05 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

Currently looking for a low grade copy (1.5-2.5). Is now a bad time to buy due to the run-up in price or does it seem to be a stable increase that will hold long-term, if not go higher? 

I don't see prices coming down much maybe 10% if they do. So I would buy it sooner rather than later because if it picks up again some time in the future (and I am pretty sure it will....but nothing is 100% like people say but the book has everything going for it so I am confident) a 10% drop will seem like not very much.

7 hours ago, yanksarod22 said:

I have an amazing fantasy 15 5.5 no chipping very nice should I hold or should I get out now

If you need the funds sure (when certain things need to be paid hey it sucks but it is what it is). If you don't need to sell it then sit back and enjoy the ride over time (and owning the book as well). I never see a rush to sell a key collectible that has gone up in value year after year or one you love in your collection for that matter.

Edited by SC22