• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2018 at 3:10 PM, VintageComics said:
On 4/29/2018 at 4:14 AM, chrisco37 said:

Remember when they attempted to go to all-blue restored labels?   I think it was 04?   Borock brought some prototype  labels to Bmore Con that year.   It was a mixed reaction.  When he posted them on the boards the reaction was overwhelmingly negative.  

May have been a bit later as I joined in 2004 and I remember it. Maybe 2006 or so?

I remember Borock discussing it and CGC changing their position but I always though it was a shame.

I remember being berated by boardies for supporting it saying it would support scamming, etc. but I always thought it was a good thing that would expand both understanding of restored books and appreciation for them.

Yes indeed, an one-color label would have definitely forced collectors to have a much better understanding of the nuances with respect to the type and extent of restoration being done on books. (thumbsu  Similar to how collectors now have a much better understanding of grading with the current 10-point grading system in place, as opposed to the old Good / Fine / Mint standard that used to be in place way back in the day.  Now, if CGC had gone ahead and placed a multi-color labeling system for grades dependent upon the age (i.e. GA, SA, BA, CA, MA) of the book, the current marketplace for graded books would no doubt be completely different from what it is today.  hm

Of course, from hindsight it would have been ideal if CGC had gone with the uni-color label system right from the get go.  Instead they went with the multi-color labels thinking it would simplify things for collectors, but as Borock himself stated, it unfortunately resulted in severely negative unintended consequences which they did not foresee when they first implemented the system.

The subsequent attempt to "fix" this issue was really a matter of bad timing as it came almost immediately after the whole Jason Ewert fiasco and also after pressing first came to light on the boards here.  Definitely not a good time to be trying to implement something new and as controversial as changing the labels.  Especially at a time when most board members were totally frustrated and angry over possible preferential treatment for certain so-called big "inside" clients and didn't trust at all what CGC might have been doing behind the scenes.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 4:35 AM, VintageComics said:

Correct.

There is an infinite amount of degrees between 'no chipping' and 'lots of chipping'.

Here is a book with very slight chipping on the right edge. It's right next to the ! on the right edge (next to the word "HULK!")

Do you think it's value should be discounted because of it? Maybe it should sell for 9.0 money? lol

image.thumb.jpeg.163a5ca839cd9d18ccdf9092ab2c4f04.jpeg

Here is another book with Marvel Chipping. What a clunker.

image.thumb.jpeg.7e448c45bb05f04a7b9b17c8fd22bd42.jpeg

I could have bought that DD 7 when it was a cgc 9.2 from ton hanlin, Doug Schmell bought it and I believe it was pressed into a 9.6

Not always, but pretty often it seems like staining (light enough or in areas that don't detract too much from eye appeal) is a common theme across the books we praise for looking "great for the grade" (including my own).  Not all defects are created equal in the eye appeal department, and it would seem that chips and color-breaking creases are the things that people find the most distracting.

CGC have always been brutal on water stains/marks.  On these mega-keys it appears the market is leaning towards presentation over technical grade.  

Not saying a well presenting 3 should get similar $$$ to a “low” 4.  But that gap is narrowing in the lower grades.  Eye appeal is more important than the #.  

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

CGC have always been brutal on water stains/marks.  On these mega-keys it appears the market is leaning towards presentation over technical grade.  

Not saying a well presenting 3 should get similar $$$ to a “low” 4.  But that gap is narrowing in the lower grades.  Eye appeal is more important than the #.  

I have personally adopted this philosophy. CGC hammers the grade for water stains, and others have stated water “damage” is a hard stop for them. While I obviously am not a FAN of water stains, they don’t bother me more than other standard defects, depending on severity and placement. For me, and my personal tolerances, it’s a fantastic opportunity!

Edited by Callaway29

I have a question, I'm looking at a few AF 15 options and wanted a clear understanding. I know with some books that a blue label is better than yellow, however, how much more is a yellow label Stan Lee signature worth on a copy of AF15 compared to a blue label one?

6 hours ago, 360racer said:

I have a question, I'm looking at a few AF 15 options and wanted a clear understanding. I know with some books that a blue label is better than yellow, however, how much more is a yellow label Stan Lee signature worth on a copy of AF15 compared to a blue label one?

Not worth more but more likely equal.  might be a hindrance for some that don’t like signatures on the cover

1 hour ago, Spiderturtle said:

Not worth more but more likely equal.  might be a hindrance for some that don’t like signatures on the cover

It’s worth more on lower grade copies 

8 hours ago, 360racer said:

The Stan Lee sig does tend to elevate the price some for sure, especially on lower grade copies as already mentioned here.  The difference in price may not be that noticeable though. If you are already spending 10, 20 or 30 thousand dollars on a book, how much of a difference does a few hundred bucks make?  You will notice the increase in price a lot more on less expensive keys.