• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

This is up on eBay now - no reserve auction. Should be fun to see where it winds up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-FANTASY-15-CGC-8-0-Spiderman-1st-App/282942160250?hash=item41e0aabd7a:g:~-YAAOSw-uda4y2q

E89CDE0A-7511-4981-8219-C96EA922BAA2.png

May or may not be a real auction.

Dude has 3 previous real eBay sales.

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Correct.

There is an infinite amount of degrees between 'no chipping' and 'lots of chipping'.

Here is a book with very slight chipping on the right edge. It's right next to the ! on the right edge (next to the word "HULK!")

Do you think it's value should be discounted because of it? Maybe it should sell for 9.0 money? lol

image.thumb.jpeg.163a5ca839cd9d18ccdf9092ab2c4f04.jpeg

Here is another book with Marvel Chipping. What a clunker.

image.thumb.jpeg.7e448c45bb05f04a7b9b17c8fd22bd42.jpeg

How do you know that the chips on these books aren't post production damage Roy?

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

How do you know that the chips on these books aren't post production damage Roy?

Nobody knows for sure but 1964-66 Marvels were really bad (especially those two issues - they're known for many production defects) so odds are that they are like that from the factory.

How is it relevant though? Since nobody knows for sure CGC would just grade the book in front of them as it sits.

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Nobody knows for sure but 1964-66 Marvels were really bad (especially those two issues - they're known for many production defects) so odds are that they are like that from the factory.

How is it relevant though? Since nobody knows for sure CGC would just grade the book in front of them as it sits.

So a book with multiple albeit small cover chips is a 9.6? Is that what you're saying Roy?

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

So a book with multiple albeit small cover chips is a 9.6? Is that what you're saying Roy?

It doesn't matter what I say. CGC says it is.

Again, it depends on the size / number of chips, the rest of the book etc.

My point is that just like the market moved to turn a blind eye to Restored books because they were stigmatized (rather than understand that there were varying degrees of restoration and that some books with lots of hidden value you were being ignored or devalued) the same is happening in comics where the 'chipping narrative' is causing people do avoid chipping copies of certain books, not realizing that there are varying degrees of chipping and that you can't sweep them into the same category.

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

It doesn't matter what I say. CGC says it is.

Again, it depends on the size / number of chips, the rest of the book etc.

My point is that just like the market moved to turn a blind eye to Restored books because they were stigmatized (rather than understand that there were varying degrees of restoration and that some books with lots of hidden value you were being ignored or devalued) the same is happening in comics where the 'chipping narrative' is causing people do avoid chipping copies of certain books, not realizing that there are varying degrees of chipping and that you can't sweep them into the same category.

Got ya, thanks 

21 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

This is up on eBay now - no reserve auction. Should be fun to see where it winds up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-FANTASY-15-CGC-8-0-Spiderman-1st-App/282942160250?hash=item41e0aabd7a:g:~-YAAOSw-uda4y2q

E89CDE0A-7511-4981-8219-C96EA922BAA2.png

That's the copy that sold for a record price of $261,000 last year on Comiclink.  Still shown on Comiclink homepage.  I doubt the owner then decided it was a good idea to throw it up in a no reserve ebay auction. 

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

My point is that just like the market moved to turn a blind eye to Restored books because they were stigmatized (rather than understand that there were varying degrees of restoration and that some books with lots of hidden value you were being ignored or devalued)

And whose fault is this to start with?

It's especially easy to stigmatize a book when it's been branded by the grading company with a stigmatizing PLOD label, regardless of the type and extent of the restoration.  They could have avoided this stigmatization if they had gone with a uni-colour label system combined with both a condition grading and restoration rating system right from the get go.

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

And whose fault is this to start with?

Ultimately, it is the fault of the consumer whose responsibility to educate themselves is not laid at the feet of CGC

Also, it was impossible to know the fallout of a restored label which was likely exaggerated as the market also increased in price.

Wasn't a big deal when a book was worth $1000 unrestored and $200-300 restored.

Made a much bigger difference when you started talking about 5, 6 and 7 figure prices.

13 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Ultimately, it is the fault of the consumer whose responsibility to educate themselves is not laid at the feet of CGC

Also, it was impossible to know the fallout of a restored label which was likely exaggerated as the market also increased in price.

Wasn't a big deal when a book was worth $1000 unrestored and $200-300 restored.

Made a much bigger difference when you started talking about 5, 6 and 7 figure prices.

Remember when they attempted to go to all-blue restored labels?   I think it was 04?   Borock brought some prototype  labels to Bmore Con that year.   It was a mixed reaction.  When he posted them on the boards the reaction was overwhelmingly negative.  

41 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

When he posted them on the boards the reaction was overwhelmingly negative.  

Board members have always embraced change with open arms. Like the new labels with "big numbers" and no alpha grade...what a great idea everyone thought that was! :acclaim:

3 hours ago, drbanner said:

Board members have always embraced change with open arms. Like the new labels with "big numbers" and no alpha grade...what a great idea everyone thought that was! :acclaim:

Sarcasm dripping off this post.

sad that the boards when the opportunity came didnt support the stigma emancipation of restored books.

10 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Remember when they attempted to go to all-blue restored labels?   I think it was 04?   Borock brought some prototype  labels to Bmore Con that year.   It was a mixed reaction.  When he posted them on the boards the reaction was overwhelmingly negative.  

May have been a bit later as I joined in 2004 and I remember it. Maybe 2006 or so?

I remember Borock discussing it and CGC changing their position but I always though it was a shame.

I remember being berated by boardies for supporting it saying it would support scamming, etc. but I always thought it was a good thing that would expand both understanding of restored books and appreciation for them.

It could’ve been 06.  TBH, it’s been so long ago, I’m not sure on the timeline.  I know it was a year or two before Zaid did the dinner with Bob Overstreet.  I thought it was at the dinner I set up at Phillips (not the best venue or dinner for sure).  I don’t think you were at that one (and you’ve been to most that I can remember, except the really early Philly ones at Maggianos that BK set up).