• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

What people should be asking not just about AF #15 but all big ticket purchases in general.

What level of buyer are we currently seeing in the big ticket markets?

When a Big ticket book is bought unless that buyer comes back in looking for an upgrade they have met their need and move on to the next book.

As they say Next batter is up.

Where in the A through F list do they fall into?

Have the easy sales come and gone?

Are the big ticket purchases collectors or dealers restocking their inventory for upcoming shows?

Why do certain big ticket books constantly show up for sale again and again?  

Not so easy to sell a book when you get lower in the pool.

I'll use the Big Screen TV analogy I believe I used before

A - Wants to be the first on the block to have one,  doesn't care what the price is.

B - Sees the Big screen TV but waits for prices to come down a bit.  Somebody has to go first before this buyer steps up.

C - Waits for the sale before buying one, needs a deal

D - Is buying the big screen from clearance stores

F - Beer wallet but champagne tastes,  this one is waiting to win the lottery before buying one

Edited by blazingbob

17 hours ago, VintageComics said:

In my opinion, there is currently an over reaction to Marvel chipping based largely on the discussions in this thread.

There is fear and people are afraid of buying a chipped copy because of it (or at least paying equal money to a chipped copy).

This exaggeration happens when people only think about long term investment. It's unfortunate.

I think eventually it will settle down as it doesn't make sense for a chipped 6.0 to sell for less than an unchipped 5.0 or 5.5, does it?

honestly id rather have a 5.5 unchipped than a 6.0 with chipping. I personally view the chipping damaging the book much more than the grade allowed is showing. a normal 5.5 with decent PQ would be superior IMO to that book. Maybe just me.

17 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Based on my observations, Any marker writing, chipping, ugly dark stains, etc can severely lower the price of this book. A nice clean copy no matter what grade it is would sell well. I've seen lower graded unchipped copies that looks much nicer sell for more than a higher graded copy with chipping, and not only AF 15, but with almost any book across the board.

+1 Ive been saying for a year now, its all about the front facing social media value. Maybe a little snarky, but thats just another way of saying eye appeal free from major glaring detraction's.

4 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

honestly id rather have a 5.5 unchipped than a 6.0 with chipping. I personally view the chipping damaging the book much more than the grade allowed is showing. a normal 5.5 with decent PQ would be superior IMO to that book. Maybe just me.

No problem. Everyone needs to choose what they like or prefer.

2 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

+1 Ive been saying for a year now, its all about the front facing social media value. Maybe a little snarky, but thats just another way of saying eye appeal free from major glaring detraction's.

I'm not disagreeing with you but this is because everyone is laser focused on resale value now, at a level that we were never at before.

14 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Wow,  I guess Gator has been appointed the AF #15 key analyst/spokesperson.  His keen eye and all that wisdom.  I gotta hang around him more.

^^

7 minutes ago, october said:

You were revolutionary in your dislike for large pieces missing off of the front of comic books. 

All joking aside, I’ve never understood not downgrading a book for marvel chipping. It seemed to defy the visual test 

back when a vg copy was 3k, the difference in chipped vs non chipped copies (price wise) was almost negligible. But it didn’t change the fact that logic would have dictated to go after a nicer looking copy if the price diff was relatively small (if one at all)

but as the values  have grown, the spread has become more apparent and it seems more of a focus from what we are now seeing in pricing trends 

Seems simple and straightforward to me, but to each their own

i was public in my position that I wouldn’t buy chipped copies when I could buy unchipped ones...and I used that position to validate paying/selling them for more than the average copy. 

Worked then, works now. Hopefully will continue to work for me 

Edited by G.A.tor

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

I agree, I won't even consider buying a silver age book with chipping.  I can't look at a 6.0 with extensive chipping and pretend it doesn't look like a 2.5 (I'm exaggerating but you get the point).  I know more collectors who have the same view on chipping than who don't.  

I've just talked to CGC about this

This is absolutely NOT true "All joking aside, I’ve never understood not downgrading a book for marvel chipping. It seemed to defy the visual test "

CGC downgrades for marvel chipping using size measurements on how much chipping their is.

16 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I agree, I won't even consider buying a silver age book with chipping.  I can't look at a 6.0 with extensive chipping and pretend it doesn't look like a 2.5 (I'm exaggerating but you get the point).  I know more collectors who have the same view on chipping than who don't.  

Will you buy a book with a 1 inch by 1 inch corner missing or piece off the top back cover?

24 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

So you feel that the 6.0 copy that sold on Comiconnect was not downgraded for marvel chipping?  I completely disagree because if the book didn't have marvel chipping it would have graded a lot higher.

I agree that it was downgraded but do they downgrade chipping enough? I think its a major defect. I also think it makes me nervous spending a good chunk of cash and it just seems like the book can keep chipping and go down in grade even further. 2c

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

Will you buy a book with a 1 inch by 1 inch corner missing or piece off the top back cover?

Yes, because the grade is likely to reflect the defect if its not chipping.  Mid-grade books with chipping, from my perspective, always look worse than the given grade.  Isn't the saying I always see pop up here "buy the book, not the grade"?  In the context of marvel chipping, this adage implies paying too much.      

10 minutes ago, paul747 said:

I agree that it was downgraded but do they downgrade chipping enough? I think its a major defect. I also think it makes me nervous spending a good chunk of cash and it just seems like the book can keep chipping and go down in grade even further. 2c

I am not sure why chipping is not looked at the same way a piece off the book is looked at.

Chipping can be measured,  you add it up and you have an amount off the book.

Chipping is no different then a piece off,  only difference is it is along the edge of the book covering more ground than a piece missing just in one place.

To say that you won't buy a "Chipped copy" basically means you won't buy books with any pieces missing

Edited by blazingbob

4 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Yes, because the grade is likely to reflect the defect if its not chipping.  Mid-grade books with chipping, from my perspective, always look worse than the given grade.  Isn't the saying I always see pop up here "buy the book, not the grade"?  In the context of marvel chipping, this adage implies paying too much.      

The only argument you have is that you personally feel CGC doesn't downgrade the chipping enough based on how much paper is missing.  

I don't know,  does that 6.0 on comiconnect look worse then a 6.0?  Or does the general buying public feel that with the amount of paper loss the book should not grade more then a 4.5?  Stop calling it chipping and call it what it really is,  Paper missing.