• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Showcase Collecting Thread
5 5

944 posts in this topic

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:29 PM, 1950's war comics said:

I'm so old school that "Showcase" #1 is a holy grail of mine and if i can ever get one then i also want #2 and 3............

I just picked this up for inventory..... I'll probably have it a while because it isn't going to be cheap ...... first copy I've ever had, a very tough book. It amazes me how low it guides for, being the first issue of the landmark title that basically jump started the Silver Age. My Grandfather was a Fireman, so it's especially cool for me. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

jf0CNLa.jpg

48 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I just picked this up for inventory..... I'll probably have it a while because it isn't going to be cheap ...... first copy I've ever had, a very tough book. It amazes me how low it guides for, being the first issue of the landmark title that basically jump started the Silver Age. My Grandfather was a Fireman, so it's especially cool for me. GOD BLESS...

-

Nice copy ! Hope you don't mind but I'm going to show off my copy. I bought this raw, before CGC existed, years ago. At a convention I saw this copy, the dealer had it graded at 9.0 but it was priced at top Overstreet, which was a 9.2 . As you said, it is rare, especially in grade. Thinking about it for the duration of the show I made a deal. Not so much on the price, he was pretty firm, but I used some trade. I was disappointed with the CGC grade but it was graded under the Haspel hammer era and they downgraded for the grease mark arrival . BTW, I concur that the guide is low on this book. I also have a nice copy of #2. I bought this freshly graded from CGC in an old label, obviously many years ago.

IMG_3169.JPG

IMG_3170.JPG

8 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Nice copy ! Hope you don't mind but I'm going to show off my copy. I bought this raw, before CGC existed, years ago. At a convention I saw this copy, the dealer had it graded at 9.0 but it was priced at top Overstreet, which was a 9.2 . As you said, it is rare, especially in grade. Thinking about it for the duration of the show I made a deal. Not so much on the price, he was pretty firm, but I used some trade. I was disappointed with the CGC grade but it was graded under the Haspel hammer era and they downgraded for the grease mark arrival . BTW, I concur that the guide is low on this book. I also have a nice copy of #2. I bought this freshly graded from CGC in an old label, obviously many years ago.

IMG_3169.JPG

IMG_3170.JPG

Nice books, Bob................. they'd be centerpieces of any collection. The one I got was also pricey, but I was able to do a part trade scenario as well.... one of the things I love about face to face transactions. There's a 5.5 in the current CC Auction..... part of what looks like a full run of at least the early issues. I always had a soft spot for the Showcase run ..... it's like a chronicle of the 50's through the 70's as the tone and subjects change and evolve as the months turn into years. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

@Bomber-Bob

Those are two GREAT copies of showcase first two issues !!!

There is a Showcase #3 for sale on eBay right now in CGC 8.0 to complete your matched set !!

VERY aggressively priced unfortunately..........

How in the world is that an 8.0 with that lower left corner damage?  As much as I'd like to add it to my full run for the 600 point bump, I'd rather just stay with my 6.5 that presents much better.

19 minutes ago, Sam I am said:

How in the world is that an 8.0 with that lower left corner damage?  As much as I'd like to add it to my full run for the 600 point bump, I'd rather just stay with my 6.5 that presents much better.

I saw that corner damage.... most likely was dropped or shaken after being slabbed,    for sure it is no longer a 8.0 and it is still priced thru the roof

nice that you have a  #3 in 6.5 !! 

2 hours ago, Sam I am said:

That lower left on the E-Bay Showcase #3 looks like fresh damage. I wonder if it was scraped for resto removal.

On March 11, 2017 at 8:16 PM, MusterMark said:

Great book. ?

I never really appreciated Joe Kubert's art growing up; I always thought it looked scratchy, sketchy and straw like. However, he was very good at drawing equipment: airplanes, ships, weapons, tanks and other vehicles. Look at the two planes on this cover. They are proportioned correctly, they are true to the perspective and the detail is amazing. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Jaylam
Image missing

7 hours ago, Jaylam said:

I never really appreciated Joe Kubert's art growing up; I always thought it looked scratchy, sketchy and straw like. However, he was very good at drawing equipment: airplanes, ships, weapons, tanks and other vehicles. Look at the two planes on this cover. They are proportioned correctly, they are true to the perspective and the detail is amazing. 

image.jpeg

I love that cover.  I currently own the Don/Maggie copy.

On 11/25/2017 at 8:06 AM, Sam I am said:

I love that cover.  I currently own the Don/Maggie copy.

comic_category_sm Set Typecomic_silver_age_sm 2015

@Sam I am

Your "Showcase" set is awesome ! i always knew you wanted the top registry set, and even though someone passed you by

you can still take pride in the amazing and elusive "best silver age set" banner  attached to your set !

Edited by 1950's war comics

Here is my contribution to the Showcase thread peeps‼️?I'm very glad and proud to have recently won this very important issue in the Flash comic book lore‼️:banana::headbang::banana::whee:The Flash is one of my favorite characters and helped to launch the SA of comics for all of us to enjoy forever. I just hope DC/WB do him proper when his own big screen movie comes out next year. It's been a long time coming and no other hero deserves it more.???

Now all I need is to add high grade copies of Showcase #8, 14 and 17. Then ultimately, upgrade to a Showcase #4 CGC 9.0‼️??

fullsizeoutput_34c.jpeg