• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE TRIAL AND TRIUMPH OF ONE NEWTSAMSON:MAN OF MYSTERY

118 posts in this topic

I think they simplest thing for CGC to do right now would be to have the estimated TO times listed on the website reflect the actual TO time. Don't even make it an estimate. What is the point of labeling it an estimate if it will never be met. Just doesn't make sense.

While I don't disagree with you on removing the estimated time, it also doesn't hurt to have something to aim for - a gold standard TO time, if you will, that they are working to achieve.

But those TO times were estimated when the company wasn't doing the business that they are now, maybe they should consider revising them to something that they think is workable. I'll ask them about it this weekend when I'm in Dallas.

I just think that CGC should have hired somebody with more professional experience in grading and/or selling comics.

I will admit to having only a little experience with Newt and his grading, but in that time he has shown to be very accurate (as far as CGC goes). What else could you ask for. He will gain professional experience as he grows with the company. Congratulations Newt and good luck. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Dan

I certainly know Darth has had quite a bit of experience with Modern books and would be able to speed up pre-screens.

flowerred.gif Thanks for the vote of confidence Rick, but my constant undergrading may actually be more of a disservice to CGC customers if I was a prescreener/grader. This may not be an issue with my own books as I'm the one who decides to stand behind my grading when I sell books so I am ultimately responsible for them. But is I worked for CGc, I'd have to give selling comics up. I don't think that is even an option for me.

As fun as the job sounds, I'm not in the same place that Newt is. I've already "settled" in here in Northern VA. I'm not able to relocate as easily as others may be.

And as you said, CGC would have to keep me in the lifestyle I have grown accustomed to. for. I have two kids' college educations to plan for now and The DarthBenz and the DarthBentley don't pay for their own maintenance, you know 27_laughing.gifwink.giftongue.gif

I just think that CGC should have hired somebody with more professional experience in grading and/or selling comics.

I will admit to having only a little experience with Newt and his grading, but in that time he has shown to be very accurate (as far as CGC goes). What else could you ask for. He will gain professional experience as he grows with the company. Congratulations Newt and good luck. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Dan

From what I have seen, Newt may be accurate in grading scans of slabbed books. Big deal. Most of us can do that with some accuracy. It's a lot different when you have a raw book in hand. If all CGC is going to do is train someone to grade, then they could have gotten anybody to grade for them. Is that what you want?

Dan

From what I have seen, Newt may be accurate in grading scans of slabbed books. Big deal. Most of us can do that with some accuracy. It's a lot different when you have a raw book in hand. If all CGC is going to do is train someone to grade, then they could have gotten anybody to grade for them. Is that what you want?

I would bet money that Steve and the guys at CGC did not factor in Newt's performance in Nikos' grading contests at all. I would imagine that Newt got hired because the guys at CGC liked him, saw how much he enjoys comics, and thought that he could be a good fit there.

As for your comment "most of us can do that with some accuracy," that is true. But some of use can do it with more accuracy than others.

yay.gifpoke2.gifacclaim.gif

I have to be careful how to respond to you, because of your taunting tendencies.

Newt grades no differently than most of us based on scans. Just take any one of the grading threads. There will be a handful that will be close to the actual grade.

You were even one of the ones that blasted ACE for their graders experience. Yet you accept Newt for CGC because he likes comics as his criteria for being hired. Somehow I, as an employer would look a little deeper than that.

Of course this is all speculation because I don't know Newt or was I privy to his interview with Steve and the boys.

I do wish him luck over there in Sarasota. flowerred.gif

and I am done with this thread. sorry.gif

I would bet money that Steve and the guys at CGC did not factor in Newt's performance in Nikos' grading contests at all. I would imagine that Newt got hired because the guys at CGC liked him, saw how much he enjoys comics, and thought that he could be a good fit there.

Then that is money in the bank. I think that is exactly what happened.

893naughty-thumb.gif I would say that Newt filled the Freddie Mercury look alike for the CGC Queen cover band that Steve was getting started.

"can anybody find meeee...somebody to ooo oo ooo....looooove"

You were even one of the ones that blasted ACE for their graders experience. Yet you accept Newt for CGC because he likes comics as his criteria for being hired. Somehow I, as an employer would look a little deeper than that.

Aside from Mark and Steve, very few of the graders at CGC had any real grading experience before they were hired AND TRAINED by Steve and Mark (and Chris).

I would say that Newt filled the Freddie Mercury look alike for the CGC Queen cover band that Steve was getting started.

Queen was a great live band, notorious for whipping the audiences into a frenzy.

If Newt can sing like Freddy, then the so-called CGC Monopoly spin doctors 893blahblah.gif will be creating a new generation of heroin addicts.

Newt's greatest hits:

1. We Will Grade (for) You

2. We Are the Graders

3. Another PLOD Bites the Dust

4. Killer Grade

5. Something to Grade

6. Fat Book Slabs

7. Sonic Sealer Race

8. You're My Best Pre-Screener

9. Crazy Little Thing Called Qualified

10. Now I'm QCing

11. Guess the Grade

12. Seven Boxes of Pre-Screens

13. Borock's Language

14. Grade Me

15. Don't Stop Me Now

16. Good Old Fashioned Grader Boy

17. I Want to Get Out

18. Kind of Black Light Magic

19. Borockian Rhapsody

20. Under Pressure

21. Hammer Must Fall

22. PVC's Plum Crazy

23. One Year of Training

24. Receiving Room Ga Ga

25. I'm Going Slightly Mad

26. I Want It All (to End)

27. Tie That Pre-Screener Down

28. Miracle

29. These Are the Grades of Our Lives

30. One Printing

31. Keep Yourself Awake

32. Headgong

33. Who Wants to Grade Forever

34. I Must Grade On

I have to be careful how to respond to you, because of your taunting tendencies.

Newt grades no differently than most of us based on scans. Just take any one of the grading threads. There will be a handful that will be close to the actual grade.

He's being hired as a trainee, not a senior grader fer chrissakes. It isn't like he's the guy who will be in charge of determining whether a particular copy of Zap Comics #1 is a first print or a fifth print, or whether a particular copy of Action #1 is the genuine article or a well-disguised counterfeit. And after he's done being a trainee, he'll probably spend a good while as a pre-grader.

The main guys at ACE (not their trainees -- I am talking about the head honchos who will make the call re whether a book is genuine or not, or restored or not, or what have you) have no significant experience that allows me to place confidence in them. 30 years' total experience between three guys? That means that not one of them was in the business prior to the great crash of 1994, assuming they all have the same amount of experience. And if one of them has 15 years' experience, then the other two are really lame.

893naughty-thumb.gif I would say that Newt filled the Freddie Mercury look alike for the CGC Queen cover band that Steve was getting started.

Right as I started reading this post...Killer Queen came on the radio...by queen no less...ooooohhhh...

sign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gif

hi.gif

Congratulation's to Newt, I think he has a natural talent for grading. With that natural talent under the tutelage of the other grader's from CGC, will do quite well. thumbsup2.gif

$500.00 say if you shave Newt's head all the way down you'll be able to see the 666 tatoo,...somewhere on his head.....it's a sign folks,...wake up and smell the moldy butter!!!,...it's a sign.....we are all doomed...he knows too much,...he knows our weaknesses and fears....maybe even our want lists,.....it's only a matter of time now before he finds us all.......

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Congrats Newt on a nifty job that lets you see more sweet comics.

On a side note:

Newt are you also a paintball freak, nut, fan, whatever?

I just watched Paintball Extreme 2 on cable and there was a Superman outfit guy that looked like you being advertised for the next show. If it was you, I won't spoil the surprise they were advertising!!!!

If it was you.....please shoot the naked Spider-Man guy if he evers shows up at a competition. grin.gif