• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coppers to buy before they explode

455 posts in this topic

They survey whoever walks into the LCS door, and trust me, not many kids can afford today's insane cover prices, so I don't see how the numbers can be wrong.

LCS door? Ha, it's cute that you think kids go to their local store to buy comics.

Let me guess, it's right next to the record store?

If it's next to an Antique store that has records does that count?

I can't think of a store around me that doesn't have some $1 or less boxes though and these are places paying NYC rents (of course, FINDING a shop nowadays can be a challenge). Even Mid-Town has a few longies worth of 50 cent books at each store. So a kid with a $5 budget CAN walk out of most shops with a little stack of reading material.

They survey whoever walks into the LCS door, and trust me, not many kids can afford today's insane cover prices, so I don't see how the numbers can be wrong.

I agree and disagree. I agree that not many kids walk through comic shop doors, but disagree it has anything to do with cover price. Video games aren't cheap, and kids(parents) are dropping big $$ on them.

Fact is, there are many, many more options today for kids to spend their time on, and comics are very low on it, if not absent.

they spend tons of money on pokeman/yugi oh cards and bey blades (well, a couple of years ago at least) though

Rule of 25.

That rule only applies to kid hobbies, and kids stopped buying comics around 1989-90 and were pretty well gone by the time Supes kicked the bucket in 1992.

So for comics 1991-on, the Rule of 25 is no more.

That's cute. And wrong.

I'm not so sure. I don't think it's 100% correct, but there is truth to the idea that our strongest nostalgic feelings stem from the things we liked in our formative years. By the mid 90s, we were seeing the average collector age shift upward.

I'll be very interested to see how it works out going forward. It's likely to not be an all or none outcome, but rather a matter of degree.

I'm not saying there wasn't a shift happening. I was 10 in 1992 and was at my LCS as much as I could be. There were also a TON of other kids my age there. By '94, they were coming in less and less but still a big presence.

Of course, that's completely anecdotal evidence...just like JC's experience from his LCS is completely anecdotal.

I worked Friday afternoons at a comic shop in 1994 for the very reason that kids 9-13 from the local school would swarm the place and they needed another security eyeball. they definitely had a big crowd of kids the 60-90 minutes or so after school every day (I was in NYC, so kids actually walked home). it wasn't a bad deal, I got a $35 store credit and I hung out B-Sing for 3 hours, would man the cash register for 15 minutes or so when the owner needed to go potty or buy a snack.

I definitely think being near a school is a big deal though. Kids are less likely to go way out of their way, unlike in the 70s or 80s where we'd hop on our bike to travel far and wide for a comic shop.

I don't see death of superman regular first prints selling for jack on ebay. $3-$5? maybe in a 9.8 slab, but that's a whole different animal. where is the notion that it is a hot book coming from? am i missing something? i see a lot of people asking $10-$20 for the polybagged version, but not selling it for that much.

I don't see death of superman regular first prints selling for jack on ebay. $3-$5? maybe in a 9.8 slab, but that's a whole different animal. where is the notion that it is a hot book coming from? am i missing something? i see a lot of people asking $10-$20 for the polybagged version, but not selling it for that much.

I sell several of these at every major show, sold 2 this weekend at 25 each.

James G

James G

+1 - They sell well at $20 - $25 apiece.

Here is another book to think about.....New Mutants #1. It was moving well at $6 - $8 last year, and I am going to start it at $10 at the shows this year and continue to walk it up. This book is still easy to find in bunches for a $1 - $2 apiece (or less :applause: ).....

James G

Adv. of Superman #500 is a different story.

James G

+1 - They sell well at $20 - $25 apiece.

Here is another book to think about.....New Mutants #1. It was moving well at $6 - $8 last year, and I am going to start it at $10 at the shows this year and continue to walk it up. This book is still easy to find in bunches for a $1 - $2 apiece (or less :applause: ).....

Back in 1990, New Mutant #1 was $8 in the OPG. I paid $5.60 (30% discount) for my VF/NM copy.

:(

Then, I bought dozens of copies at $1 or less apiece. I think there may even have been a boatload of #1s in the $50/longbox deal I did at Comikaze last year.

:whee:

Last April at the Calgary Expo I found a stack in one of my longboxes I had picked up in an auction lot a while back. I put one out for $6 on the table and Greggy started to mock me and said it would not sell. He went to check out another booth, and by the time he came back two had sold. I sold 4 at $6 and 2 at $8 the rest of the show. I found price resistance at $10, though. During the fall con season I sold a few more at $6 and $8 apiece.

With the X-Men movie coming out this year I figure it should be a good time to unload some more.

Rule of 25.

That rule only applies to kid hobbies, and kids stopped buying comics around 1989-90 and were pretty well gone by the time Supes kicked the bucket in 1992.

That's cute. And wrong.

I'm not so sure. I don't think it's 100% correct, but there is truth to the idea that our strongest nostalgic feelings stem from the things we liked in our formative years. By the mid 90s, we were seeing the average collector age shift upward.

I'll be very interested to see how it works out going forward. It's likely to not be an all or none outcome, but rather a matter of degree.

I'm not saying there wasn't a shift happening. I was 10 in 1992 and was at my LCS as much as I could be. There were also a TON of other kids my age there. By '94, they were coming in less and less but still a big presence.

Of course, that's completely anecdotal evidence...just like JC's experience from his LCS is completely anecdotal.

I worked Friday afternoons at a comic shop in 1994 for the very reason that kids 9-13 from the local school would swarm the place and they needed another security eyeball. they definitely had a big crowd of kids the 60-90 minutes or so after school every day (I was in NYC, so kids actually walked home). it wasn't a bad deal, I got a $35 store credit and I hung out B-Sing for 3 hours, would man the cash register for 15 minutes or so when the owner needed to go potty or buy a snack.

What was the name of the store?

Collecting and nostalgia is a funny thing. As a kid who grew up in Canada our thing was hockey cards. As we got older and got real jobs all of us went out and purchased back the cards we had or players we loved from when we were kids. Same deal with comics, people love to buy back stuff they collected as kids. People currently 30 and younger didn't collect a lot of comics or cards thus they have no real interest in collecting and if they want to buy their childhood memories back they will buy what reminds them of their youth which is video games. At the 2 LCS that I frequent the comic crowd is 30+ and the gamer crowd is 30 and younger. Most of the kids still in school don't like to read at all. I have a 12 year old who loves comics but none of his friends do. They are all into games, ipad, iphone etc. They would rather sit for hours watching youtube clips, reading is to much work.

Rule of 25.

That's cute. And wrong.

What was the name of the store?

Comics For Sale