• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coppers to buy before they explode

455 posts in this topic

I had over 3200 at one point, I am down to ~ 1000 now.

So yes, yes I do. It might not be every Marvel from 1960-1980, but I do collect comics.

Why do you ask?

-slym

I have never seen you buy any or sell any or join any I have this comic clubs. Most times I just see you post in general. So I did not know if you actively collected comics. And was just wondering if you did. :foryou:

Owning every Marvel is overrated anyway. OCD is a bad thing. :screwy:

I have bought & sold on this very board in the past. I will still buy here (one day,) but most of my selling takes place on eBay now, basically because most of what I have to sell, no one here wants. I speak from experience there, not just hearsay.

-slym

The $2000 profit I alluded to was based on taking 75% of latest eBAY high price for a CGC 9.8, and includes a press/grade for each book. Obviously not all will be

9.8 but expect most to be since none have anything more than minor non-color-breaking spine stress and some light bends. Pressing should correct most of them.

Not sure what shipping will cost but obviously a reduction, and eBAY fees will reduce the profit further.

These books cost me $25 at LCS so that would also have to be deducted.

Book		       qty    Price    Sale$  Grade$  Press$   Net    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------															
Amazing Spider-man 344	1	125	125	18	7	100
Captain America 360	1	100	100	18	7	75
Darkhawk 1		1	100	100	18	7	75								
Destroyer Duck 1	1	120	120	18	7	95
Incredible Hulk 377 3rd	1	250	250	18	7	225
Thor 337		1	200	200	18	7	175								
Thor 411		1	100	100	18	7	75								
Thor 412		1	100	100	18	7	75								
Uncanny X-men 282	1	120	120	18	7	95
New Mutants 100		2	120	240	36	14	190								
X-Factor 24		1	100	100	18	7	75								
X-Force #11		2	100	200	36	14	150								
Action Comics 684	4	75	300	72	28	200								
JLA 69			3	75	225	54	21	150								
Man of Steel 17		1	220	220	18	7	195								
Man of Steel 18, 3rd	1	150	150	18	7	125								
Man of Steel 18		1	150	150	18	7	125								
Man of Steel 19		2	100	200	36	14	150								
Superman 74		3	75	225	54	21	150								
Superman 75		7	75	525	126	49	350									

Actually, I'm impressed. Other forum members have made much more outlandish claims with nearly a document showing you how they come about such nonsense.

This is well document and regardless of grades I have to say I applaud this detail of financial accountability.

I stand corrected. At least this n00b rules.

Wow. Looking at these prices has convinced me to finally send in some Copper books for slabbng.

Not generally. I do read the Superman and Thor issues and have for a long time. The rest are to be flipped and the money used to fund a different collecting focus -- primarily Bronze Marvel and DC. You can't keep everything otherwiese you're just a hoarder, and no one has time to read everything that they buy.

Copper mining for me is a means to an end and so far the vein is not played out where I shop. Buy low and sell high is the way I build up my collection and if you want to pay retail price for books then by all means go for it, but that is not my methd.

Please, can we keep quoting the extra-long post to make the screen extend farther than I can see? Maybe it will make it on to the next page...

meh

-slym

Not sure what triggered that. When I composed it the message didn't look

like that. Must have been the insert that I added showing the breakdown

on the books that I plan to sub.

I will continue to mine the books I bought off the stands. And plow the cash into my Golden and Silver age OCD collecting.

There are so many copper books over $100. Makes me want to cry with joy :cloud9:

I had over 3200 at one point, I am down to ~ 1000 now.

So yes, yes I do. It might not be every Marvel from 1960-1980, but I do collect comics.

Why do you ask?

-slym

I had over 3,200 at one point, and now after selling for 12 years, I am down to about 16,000 . . . :insane:lol

Wow. Looking at these prices has convinced me to finally send in some Copper books for slabbng.

I hope this is tongue-in-cheek. . . you are aware that he hasn't slabbed or sold a single issue on his list? :facepalm:

I hope this is tongue-in-cheek. . . you are aware that he hasn't slabbed or sold a single issue on his list? :facepalm:

The prices are recent ebay sales, You don't think that 75% of those prices can be reached?

The prices are recent ebay sales, You don't think that 75% of those prices can be reached?

Way too many ifs and buts grasshopper . . . :grin:

The fact that you have not had the comics graded yet makes this whole debate silly. lol I hope you get all 9.8s and make a mint. Would like to see a chart once you have them graded and are done with relisting them over and over waiting for people to jump on your copies. :popcorn:

The fact that you have not had the comics graded yet makes this whole debate silly. lol I hope you get all 9.8s and make a mint. Would like to see a chart once you have them graded and are done with relisting them over and over waiting for people to jump on your copies. :popcorn:

+1

I never knew something as common as NM #100 was such a gold mine!! I have 20 issues from when they first came out that went straight into boarded bags (cha-CHING!!). I was this close to lining the cat box with them.

No talking frogs, though :( .

How about barking spiders? It seems I have a house full of them- My wife says every time I enter a room... >BARK!<

+1

I never knew something as common as NM #100 was such a gold mine!! I have 20 issues from when they first came out that went straight into boarded bags (cha-CHING!!). I was this close to lining the cat box with them.

No talking frogs, though :( .

How about barking spiders? It seems I have a house full of them- My wife says every time I enter a room... >BARK!<

Yeah I know. I have almost every comic he listed besides the 3rd print issues and some of the DC titles. All bought brand new off the stands and bagged and boarded as soon as I bought them and stored away. I would bet a lot of them would be around 9.8. I also don't understand who is paying the prices he had listed on that spread sheet. ???

The one that boggles me is $75 for the death of Superman issue. That sold literally millions of copies, almost all of which are still in their sealed polybags, socked away as investments. They may not all by 9.8, but I bet the number is in the six figures.

Yet, he's right: a quick check of ebay shows CGC 9.8 have consistently sold in the $70-75 range recently. SS versions are in the $125 range.

It's crazy. Who the heck is buying these things?!

The one that boggles me is $75 for the death of Superman issue. That sold literally millions of copies, almost all of which are still in their sealed polybags, socked away as investments. They may not all by 9.8, but I bet the number is in the six figures.

Yet, he's right: a quick check of ebay shows CGC 9.8 have consistently sold in the $70-75 range recently. SS versions are in the $125 range.

People that don't have it and want a copy.

People like this, who Bonzo999 hold in such high regards.

These guys like Mercenaut on Youtube slay me. Paying $100 for a single book.