• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coppers to buy before they explode

455 posts in this topic

Marvel Age is worth having FOR ITS CONTENT. ;)

Hate to be the lone hater here, but . . . :sick:

lol

Not every issue, obviously! (thumbs u

But there were a good number worth having for specific articles (for example: the one in memory of Sol Brodsky).

The one that boggles me is $75 for the death of Superman issue. That sold literally millions of copies, almost all of which are still in their sealed polybags, socked away as investments. They may not all by 9.8, but I bet the number is in the six figures.

Yet, he's right: a quick check of ebay shows CGC 9.8 have consistently sold in the $70-75 range recently. SS versions are in the $125 range.

It's crazy. Who the heck is buying these things?!

Rule of 25.

It's just it seems weird because there were so many of these books printed, but there is a good possibility that many of the fly-by collectors from the 90's have grown up and would like a nice copy of the death of superman, etc..

The one that boggles me is $75 for the death of Superman issue. That sold literally millions of copies, almost all of which are still in their sealed polybags, socked away as investments. They may not all by 9.8, but I bet the number is in the six figures.

Yet, he's right: a quick check of ebay shows CGC 9.8 have consistently sold in the $70-75 range recently. SS versions are in the $125 range.

It's crazy. Who the heck is buying these things?!

People that don't have it and want a copy.

Well, I didn't have it and wanted a copy. So I bought one for a dollar. Which is probably about twice what it should be worth given there are about 4 million copies floating around.

It IS only Marvel Age. That's like people paying a premium for Diamond's Previews, or a random copy of CBG!

I am not talking about "commercial value" and I don’t care at all about it, but while it’s clear that Marvel Age was a promotion means, it is a lot more, and a lot more important (for what the Marvel Age represented) that any anonymous reseller/comic shop catalog.

In the first issues, up to issue #30 or so IIRC, there is a summarized chronological history of Marvel, and besides the articles that are obviously meant to announce and promote new comics there are interviews to writers and artists, and occasional relevant articles.

The name itself is pretty eloquent as far as the nature of the magazine, but of course Marvel ended up trashing everything and people still buys (or do they?). (shrug)

It IS only Marvel Age. That's like people paying a premium for Diamond's Previews, or a random copy of CBG!

I am not talking about "commercial value" and I don’t care at all about it, but while it’s clear that Marvel Age was a promotion means, it is a lot more, and a lot more important (for what the Marvel Age represented) that any anonymous reseller/comic shop catalog.

In the first issues, up to issue #30 or so IIRC, there is a summarized chronological history of Marvel, and besides the articles that are obviously meant to announce and promote new comics there are interviews to writers and artists, and occasional relevant articles.

The name itself is pretty eloquent as far as the nature of the magazine, but of course Marvel ended up trashing everything and people still buys (or do they?). (shrug)

I'm kind of interesting in Marvel Age for the same reason. I love FOOM, for instance, there are some fantastic articles and interviews in it that you just can't get anywhere else. I know a lot of Marvel Age was just nonsense hyping new releases, but there were also creator interviews and other interesting features sprinkled here and there. It's been a long time since I read any of them, but I bet there's some cool stuff to be found.

Even if none of the issues should really be worth anything.

Rule of 25.

That rule only applies to kid hobbies, and kids stopped buying comics around 1989-90 and were pretty well gone by the time Supes kicked the bucket in 1992.

So for comics 1991-on, the Rule of 25 is no more.

There are a bunch of IH 181s around, and Wolverine LS #1s... that doesn't stop them from commanding more than $1.

But those books had far different demographics, and there is no way that Superman 75 will ever grow in value long-term.

Rule of 25.

That rule only applies to kid hobbies, and kids stopped buying comics around 1989-90 and were pretty well gone by the time Supes kicked the bucket in 1992.

I'm not sure about that though. Replace the term kids with teens as I still saw with my own eyes lots of 13-18 year olds buying books back then. So add about 20 years and that adds up.

There are a bunch of IH 181s around, and Wolverine LS #1s... that doesn't stop them from commanding more than $1.

But those books had far different demographics, and there is no way that Superman 75 will ever grow in value long-term.

Conjecture.

-slym

Conjecture.

Yep, I think no one would have imagined such a projected success for Wolverine.

Almost all of the new X-Men were very good characters, but Wolverine gained more success.

But what’s Superman #75 supposed to be (keep in mind that DC basically killed all its universe with the New 52, so it’s a conjecture as well whether the characters invented now, as unrelated as they are, will bear some relationship with the original ones, or even just with the post-Crisis ones).

DC never made much sense in terms of continuity, but the New 52 is really something different. And only time will tell…

I have to disagree. That book was a huge part of pop culture in the 90's, it has a huge print run but is an iconic cover.

Conjecture.

Yep, I think no one would have imagined such a projected success for Wolverine.

Almost all of the new X-Men were very good characters, but Wolverine gained more success.

But what’s Superman #75 supposed to be (keep in mind that DC basically killed all its universe with the New 52, so it’s a conjecture as well whether the characters invented now, as unrelated as they are, will bear some relationship with the original ones, or even just with the post-Crisis ones).

DC never made much sense in terms of continuity, but the New 52 is really something different. And only time will tell…

Then no DC key previous to New 52 has any value.

Wow. Looking at these prices has convinced me to finally send in some Copper books for slabbng.

I hope this is tongue-in-cheek. . . you are aware that he hasn't slabbed or sold a single issue on his list? :facepalm:

Sort of, but it also motivated me to start pulling out Copper books to submit. I have been on the fence whether it is worth it or not for the past couple of months but looking at the prices he listed, which appear accurate from a quick scan, it is probably worthwhile.

I'm not sure about that though. Replace the term kids with teens as I still saw with my own eyes lots of 13-18 year olds buying books back then. So add about 20 years and that adds up.

The LCS I went to had virtually no kids, tweens, teens, etc after 1992 or so, and you need high numbers to make the "Rule of 25" work, and right now there are less than 1% of readers that are under 20. Do the math.

I have to disagree. That book was a huge part of pop culture in the 90's, it has a huge print run but is an iconic cover.

If you guys think it will keep increasing to $100, $150, $200, $300, +++, then fine, but I disagree. The demographics just don't support consistent price jumps going forward.

I remember the day this comic came out. I thought Bloodshot #1 which came out on the same day had a better cover. :baiting:

If you guys think it will keep increasing to $100, $150, $200, $300, +++, then fine, but I disagree. The demographics just don't support consistent price jumps going forward.

Too readily available for that. But a consistent $50.00 + book, sure.

I remember the day this comic came out. I thought Bloodshot #1 which came out on the same day had a better cover. :baiting:

Youre old :baiting: