• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coppers to buy before they explode

455 posts in this topic

Seems like NM #1 was a dollar box book for a long time.

Nowadays it seems to have shifted to $2 boxes as shows around me seem so expensive to rent tables at that I think dealers are more likely to just put utter krapola in the 50 cent and $1 boxes 99% of the time.

With that said, I'm not hitting shows like I used to, so my information is getting stale.

Nowadays it seems to have shifted to $2 boxes as shows around me seem so expensive to rent tables at that I think dealers are more likely to just put utter krapola in the 50 cent and $1 boxes 99% of the time.

With that said, I'm not hitting shows like I used to, so my information is getting stale.

I will be selling them for $6, then $8 and then hopefully $10 apiece in two weekends. lol

I will be selling them for $6, then $8 and then hopefully $10 apiece in two weekends. lol

Yup....I have 2nd and 3rd prints as well...I bought a slabbed 9.8 at a LCS for $35. I sold it within 3 days for $135

Yup....I have 2nd and 3rd prints as well...I bought a slabbed 9.8 at a LCS for $35. I sold it within 3 days for $135

He said #1, not #100

the second print of #100 is everywhere. dunno about the third print though.

Okay, so I'm confused. I thought the second printing was gold and the third printing was silver but I see CGC labels where they're both listed as 2nd printing and a note listing rather it's the gold version or the silver version. So what the heck is the 3rd? (shrug)

Okay, so I'm confused. I thought the second printing was gold and the third printing was silver but I see CGC labels where they're both listed as 2nd printing and a note listing rather it's the gold version or the silver version. So what the heck is the 3rd? (shrug)

CGC has gotten a few things wrong in their day. Not positive about this, but if we flip a book open our answer will be there.

I wouldn't say this is is gonna explode, but it's noteworthy. Going through a box of old indie books, I came across a copy of Splatter #4 from Northstar 1992. Very early Andrew Pepoy art. Figure with his popularity from the Afterlife With Archie saucy variant covers, it's worth picking up for a few bucks..

<a  href=SPLATTER.jpg' alt='SPLATTER.jpg'>

CGC has gotten a few things wrong in their day. Not positive about this, but if we flip a book open our answer will be there.

isn't the first print of 100 purple and the second printing white (or is the other way around?)

isn't the first print of 100 purple and the second printing white (or is the other way around?)

Yes, he's talking about the background lettering on the white covers (2nd & 3rd).

People currently 30 and younger didn't collect a lot of comics or cards thus they have no real interest in collecting and if they want to buy their childhood memories back they will buy what reminds them of their youth which is video games.

Or Pokemon cards. Those things are still hot with kids today, and I couldn't believe some of the prices some cards are getting.

CGC is doing it wrong.

People currently 30 and younger didn't collect a lot of comics or cards thus they have no real interest in collecting and if they want to buy their childhood memories back they will buy what reminds them of their youth which is video games.

Or Pokemon cards. Those things are still hot with kids today, and I couldn't believe some of the prices some cards are getting.

This really makes me want to dig out the old binders and decks. I think I have the first several series of cards nearly complete :cloud9:

So maybe we can get a list going for this and we can all add to it? I've read like 5 pages so far and there's really no talks about specific books.

I thinks X-men 221 could have some potential, First Mr Sinister plus it's a nice Silvestri piece. I thinks its a Copper :shrug:

Realized Xmen 221 was already listed on the first page, the first couple pages are fine, but towards the end we went off course here. Difficult to keep these threads on track

So maybe we can get a list going for this and we can all add to it? I've read like 5 pages so far and there's really no talks about specific books.

I thinks X-men 221 could have some potential, First Mr Sinister plus it's a nice Silvestri piece. I thinks its a Copper :shrug:

Realized Xmen 221 was already listed on the first page, the first couple pages are fine, but towards the end we went off course here. Difficult to keep these threads on track

Thats because as with most of my threads people think they're a joke and go totally off topic

I didn't start this so I can find books for super cheap and flip them

I started it because there are some cool books you can still find for dirt cheap

The book I started this thread with isn't worth anything I just thought it was a cool book

Depending on the shop around sacramento you can find some good books for less than $2 most shops think 99% of the stuff from the late 80's-90's is garbage and sell those books for next to nothing

I got a solid copy of x-Force 116 1st ap of Doop for $2

it would grade in the high 9's the book in 9.8 sells for around $80

Thats because as with most of my threads people think they're a joke and go totally off topic

I started it because there are some cool books you can still find for dirt cheap

The book I started this thread with isn't worth anything I just thought it was a cool book

Depending on the shop around sacramento you can find some good books for less than $2 most shops think 99% of the stuff from the late 80's-90's is garbage and sell those books for next to nothing

I agree with the joke part taking it off topic, but that's par for the course, regardless of the thread.

As to the reasoning for the thread, that's irrelevant. Some people buy them to read while they're affordable but others will definitely try to make some money if the opportunity exists. Nobody is wrong.

You want some really good cool books for dirt cheap?

Doom Patrol #19-50. It is EXCELLENT, especially if you like weird. I just re-read #19-23 a few months ago, and it still holds up. It is outstanding, and cheap as hell.

Animal Man #1-26. Cheap as hell, and some of the best books of the late 80's, on par with anything anyone else was doing (including Sandman.)

Hulk #331-400. Most issues dirt cheap, and one of the most compelling super hero stories out there.

Groo #1-8, Special #1, Marvel #1-120, etc. Cheap, cheap, cheap, and awesome hilarity.

Want more?