• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

January CLink Auction... what'd ya win?

149 posts in this topic

Planet Comics #73

Far and away my favorite Planet Comics cover. Looks so ahead of its time. Like something that I'd expect Steranko to draw. Thought I got this for a pretty good price ($175) considering last close GPA sale was $239 for a 4.0. Think this is a pretty sharp copy with nice deep colors and not too much wear presentation wise.

5edmCl3.jpg

Just 'wow'. I always say I want one of the atomic age space covers and keep putting off buying one. Usually I look at EC Weird Fantasy and Weird Science to get an idea for a perfect book. I need to keep a mental of note of this book in case I run across one again. Usually I stick to Marvel and DC for Golden and Atomic Age with a few Disney books. This is the cover that is going to make me stray.

Awesome pickup.

Man I really wanted this but blew my too load early. Congrats, I'm in the market for this book. It is my single favorite GA cover.

65 years before she hit the "pop" scene, Katy Perry was featured on the cover of Planet Comics #51? Check it out; it's uncanny. Here's a link to one on sale on ebay so you can see for yourself:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLANET-51-1947-CLASSIC-COVER-/110307450177?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19aed61d41

:o

I got a few things but was priced out of many others. Couldn't resist this one: Hitler, Tojo, Mussolini AND Mickey Mouse on the same cover! Too funny

image-26.jpg

I also loved that the bell at the top of the striker is flying off after Daredevil hits it, kind of a throwaway part of the cover but a nice touch.

65 years before she hit the "pop" scene, Katy Perry was featured on the cover of Planet Comics #51? Check it out; it's uncanny. Here's a link to one on sale on ebay so you can see for yourself:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLANET-51-1947-CLASSIC-COVER-/110307450177?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19aed61d41

One of the looks Katy Perry dons is definitely the immortal Betty Page. :gossip:

Great Planet cover, all the same. (thumbs u

Bettie_Page.jpg33c16c1f061b311500a47f3190f1feb9.jpg

One of my favorite early Iron Man covers. Nice looking copy that looks super clean and crisp with great presentation. Always kind of tough with that black stripe across the bottom edge.

7CqOVsj.jpg

That's a great wrap on that copy too. This issue commonly shows up as a 2 cent arvel, Nice pickup! I looked at that one to upgrade my 9.0, but I overspent as it was (but deservedly so) so I let it go.

One of the looks Katy Perry dons is definitely the immortal Betty Page. :gossip:

Great Planet cover, all the same. (thumbs u

Bettie_Page.jpg33c16c1f061b311500a47f3190f1feb9.jpg

There was no shortage of "vixen" covers in the late 40's to mid 50's. I guess the SOTI and the CCA squelched that. Kind of a unique time as that generation of comic book readers grew up, the books grew up too, (to everyone's shock and horror). What happened next because of that reset the clock and in a way made comics more kid friendly again, just in time for the baby-boomers to enter the scene, thus paving the way for the Silver Age. So now maybe we should ask, would comics have survived and would we have had the Silver Age without the SOTI and the ensuing CCA????hm