• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Pedigree Hierarchy?

222 posts in this topic

Yeah, I own a bunch of Twin Cities books and they're uniformly great looking.

This thread makes me want to pull out all my pedigree books and compare.

I own two TC books and I love em!

(Curators are still my personal favorite)

As for comparing Peds, Rob you are lucky enough to be able to do that with all yours and give a pretty good analysis I surmise!!

As for Boston's, I only personally own one. A very tight book.

I don't know much about them, but I know a lot of people will say they are pretty up there on the hierarchy.

Bechara had a couple off boxes of raw Bostons at a show... somewhere (maybe just a local boston show.) They were nothing I was interested in, but they were gorgeous raw.

Being someone who's not too knowledgeable about peds, how does one confirm the pedigree when sending a book in to be slabbed? How would CGC know its a Boston Ped. without some sort of documentation? Do those raw books have some sort of certification? I've always wondered about this.

Bechara had a couple off boxes of raw Bostons at a show... somewhere (maybe just a local boston show.) They were nothing I was interested in, but they were gorgeous raw.

Being someone who's not too knowledgeable about peds, how does one confirm the pedigree when sending a book in to be slabbed? How would CGC know its a Boston Ped. without some sort of documentation? Do those raw books have some sort of certification? I've always wondered about this.

A lot of times there's documentation in the form of sales records from the original dealer or in the form of a certificate that comes with the collection.

Occasionally CGC, in the case of books with unique markings or other identifying characteristics, will recognize that a book is a pedigree copy without the knowledge of the submitter.

A lot of times there's documentation in the form of sales records from the original dealer or in the form of a certificate that comes with the collection.

Occasionally CGC, in the case of books with unique markings or other identifying characteristics, will recognize that a book is a pedigree copy without the knowledge of the submitter.

Ah, that does make sense about the markings, etc. Thank you for the clarification.

The Savannah collection had 40,000 books. That's pretty impressive to me. It also has lots of cool early DC's in 9.0-9.6 condition. I can deal with Cream to O/W.

The Marvels were, shall we say, disappointing.

Yeah, but Marvels are eeeevvverryywheerrre. Late 50s - early 60s DCs in high grade are not. Oftentimes, collectors have to get them via pedigree collections, and there are some really nice, hard to find in grade Savannahs

.....while not an official pedigree, the Toronto books had some real decent DC material from the mid to late 50's..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

My only Toronto book. The colors are insane for the age.

AdvDMJL_38_70_toronto.jpg

...... the most bizarre (arguably) of all the Pedigrees..... supposedly amassed by a museum curator and kept in the museum's climate controlled environment.... finally to be sold offf to fund the gentleman's sex change operation.... this is NOT a joke. GOD BLESS...

If there's a place you should have left off the GOD BLESS, this was it. I just cringe.

:o

.....while not an official pedigree, the Toronto books had some real decent DC material from the mid to late 50's..... GOD BLESS...

Very possibly the finest late 1950s collection in existence. I never acquired any of the books because I was no longer in an acquisition mode when the books surfaced, but from what I`ve heard from collectors whose opinions I respect, they are spectacular.

My only Toronto book. The colors are insane for the age.

AdvDMJL_38_70_toronto.jpg

Have any boardies posted any more scans of any of these?

???

The only Toronto I have is Black Rider Rides Again # 1('57), a notoriously tough book to find above VG....... and it was pricey.....but I'd wanted one since I was a kid. It WAS the highest certified copy..... but I got rid of the slab and kept the label.... so technically, the 7.5 is the highest slabbed copy now. Gloss like a new book. GOD BLESS....

The only Toronto I have is Black Rider Rides Again # 1('57), a notoriously tough book to find above VG....... and it was pricey.....but I'd wanted one since I was a kid. It WAS the highest certified copy..... but I got rid of the slab and kept the label.... so technically, the 7.5 is the highest slabbed copy now. Gloss like a new book. GOD BLESS....

not Toronto but some of my favorite covers. The Black Rider is bad .

Black_Rider_10-80.jpg

BlackRider_25-75-Ohio.jpg

Here's mine...... GOD BLESS...

P.S. At one time I owned 3 copies..... the 8.0 Toronto, the 7.5 Jerry Weist, and a low to mid grade autographed by Jack AND Roz Kirby...... but I decided not to be greedy.

BRRA1TORONTO.jpg

The Toronto backstory is kind of cool. I only remember bits and pieces of it. It was brought to market by Heritage and many of the D.C.'s brought INSANE multiples of guide. The original owner was an immigrant who loved comics and used them to learn English. He ended up working as a Printer and other than that, my memory becomes sketchy. GOD BLESS...

No ones mentioned the Big Apple and Oakland pedigrees.

Big Apples from the golden age are awesome but the silver age books were not stored in timber chests like the golden age books and were stored on shelves have the worse paper quality. I have Big apples with light tan to off white pages. The best have cream to off white pages. Oaklands are fantastic but the collection starts in 1966. So today this collection would not get a pedigree status. The owner was a kid who started buying at age 8 so the early books are in the vg range. He made a deal with the local drugstore to stock the shelves when the new books come out and he could get the first pick of the new releases. I have Tales to Astonish 98 CGC 9.6 white pages. The kid would have been 10 years old when he bought it.

I love pedigrees mainly for the back stories that some have which is interesting.

Of all the pedigrees from silver age I have such as Big Apple, Boston, Mile high 2, Northland, Oakland, Pacific Coast, Rocky Mountain, Savanah , Susha news , Twin Cities , Winipeg , Western Penn, and White mountain.

As of quality Bostons rate high. I have a TTA 9.6 white pages in an old label that is sweet as. Twin cities are fantastic looking books. western penn are great so are the Northlands, Some early Northlands have marvel chipping.

And White Mountains as they were the first pedigree from the silver age that was first recognised.