• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keeping Track of Your Collection

48 posts in this topic

MS Excel. Easy

(thumbs u

I make sure to list what I paid including shipping. But a pretty straight forward Excel spreadsheet works for me.

I always say in going to do this, but I never do!!! Right now, outside of my X-Men books, your guess is as good as mine.

I wanted to get a feel of how everyone tracks their collection? Spreadsheets, software, all in the head, paper and pencil?

Any recommendations on what to use and what to stay away from?

Personally, I currently use "Comic Collector." Unfortunately it was not free, but I do find it beneficial as it keeps everything in order even when my collection isn't. Also neat how it gives you pie charts and graphs breaking down the collection to titles, characters, etc.

I tend to forget what issues I have regarding moderns so this helps me to not buy many duplicates.

I used to keep track with a program I wrote in a database application years ago, but I got out of the habit of using it. Right now I have everything uploaded to a website, stashmycomics.com. They have a pretty good database of titles, a decent import/export function, provide pricing data (don't know how good), and it's free. Plus the guy who runs the site is pretty responsive for support and requests - they didn't used to have much of an export function, but when I asked for one, he put one up pretty quickly.

When I started, I had a PC but there were no comic book programs and

no database programs available. So I wrote a little program to manage a

set of text files. I used that until about 2002. but have not used it since.

It would have to be recompiled for my new computer anyhow.

I should switch to a database program. However, doing data entry for

about 45,000 DC comics in not likely to happen. Also, I would have to

create about 2,000 entries for variants (and edit another 1000 to indicate

that they do have variants). On top of that, I would have to create an

additional 1000 entries of so for promos, previews, etc.

I have a RESTful service I wrote to manage titles, publishers, comics, images, etc. I also have a web-based GUI front end that uses the REST service. Originally the service was SOAP-based, then it was EJB-based, before it was rewritten for a 3rd time to be RESTful. The GUI went from Struts to JSF. I'm contemplating another GUI rewrite one of these days. Every iteration of the software has seen the domain modified to the point where I'm really happy with the design.

I have a RESTful service I wrote to manage titles, publishers, comics, images, etc. I also have a web-based GUI front end that uses the REST service. Originally the service was SOAP-based, then it was EJB-based, before it was rewritten for a 3rd time to be RESTful. The GUI went from Struts to JSF. I'm contemplating another GUI rewrite one of these days. Every iteration of the software has seen the domain modified to the point where I'm really happy with the design.

(shrug)

I have no idea what the majority of that meant. I think I know GUI from a computer networking class I took when I was like 20.

(shrug)

I have no idea what the majority of that meant. I think I know GUI from a computer networking class I took when I was like 20.

Basically, I wrote my own web-based program to manage my collection. Sorry, been up all night coding ...

I use to use an old 16 bit DOS program called COMPU-Comic which worked great until my collection got large enough to where it was getting confused with the sort order and being a 16-bit DOS program doesn't run well under Windows 7.

For the past year I've been using Comic Collectorz and while it works well enough; it still doesn't have all the features/reporting that was in the old DOS program I was using.

Psy

I use comic collector live. I've been using it for a while. I wish it was still free. But I like that it has all the books info from artist/writer, variant covers, price paid, a spot for cgc info and able to build spreadsheets from all that.

I use the website stashmycomics.com I really like it. When you put a book in your collection you can put cost, grade, quantity and it even gives you an idea of value although it doesn't keep up to well with trends.

I use stashmycomics.com, too. It's free, and it makes keeping track of my stuff easy. I break down each long box into its own category, and since most books already have a cover scan uploaded, it's like flipping through my boxes without having to move any of them. Knowing what books are in each box makes finding stuff a breeze.

I don't put much stock in the values, but keeping track of what you paid is useful. And it looks nicer than a boring ol' spreadsheet.

My collection is actually small enough that I can use Excel/Calc. If it numbered in the hundreds or more, I'd probably use MSAccess or whatever is the OpenOffice equivalent. I can customize the GUI and pre-canned reports.

I'm another Comic Collector user; LOVE it. Best feature is having the iphone app sync with the database so I always have a full up to date list of everything I own with me. I don't know how many times I've used that when going through back issues at the LCS.