• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In this new age of speculation...

87 posts in this topic

probably stupid question but:

with ASM300 already maybe the most insane copper,,, will a venom movie even hike it up higher than it already is

isnt it approaching like $1000 in 9.8's?

isnt it the most CGCed book of all time?

i guess a 10.0 Gem mint will put it into the stratosphere like the NM98 did

FF 52.

The fact that this according to GPA this book is now priced comparably and/or more than FF 48 across a range of grades is ludicrous.

1) He's 4th tier (and I consider Silver Surfer 3rd tier)

2) I _really_ don't see Disney making a movie that keep the "Black Panther" name, due to the political history surrounding the group of the 1960s-70s (so...let's say he appears but is named "T'Challa")

3) (Most important) How many Black Panther collectors are there (or have there ever been) vs. Silver Surfer collectors? How many books has he appeared in relative to Silver Surfer? For how many months has he been able to sustain a solo feature (vs. Silver Surfer)?

At the end of the day say...five years hence, I just don't see collectors picking FF 52 over 48.

Dr. Strange and Silver Surfer = solid 3rd tier.

Moon Knight and Black Panther = solid 4th tier (although, so is Ant Man--but those books at least have potential because they're early SA, not common late SA or Bronze)

This is interesting...

I have discussed this before and find it interesting how people "tier" characters. This topic alone deserves it's own thread.

what will the be the book that is a regrettable hallmark example of this frenzy

like Jim Lee's X-men 1 and Spawn 1 from the 90's. Where basically people will

be saying "I can't believe collectors paid so much for that then"...

Avengers 55?

Iron Man 55?

Hulk 271?

FF 52?

TTA 13?

Marvel Super-heores 18?

Marvel Super-heores 13?

X-factor 6?

Thor 165?

Strange tales 135?

Hero for Hire 1?

Captain America 117?

Sgt Fury 5?

New Mutants 98?

other?...

hm

IM 55 and FF 52 and H4H #1 has been way too cheap for way to long.

I am glad these books are going crazy.

Whomever pays the $2000+ bill on that X-Factor #6 CGC 9.9 is gonna hate themselves a year from now.

:shrug:

-slym

yup. ain't that the truth.

Actually no they wont.

They will be able to sell it for maybe more once he is on the first trailer.

I mark AVENGERS 55 as the 1st appearance of rampant speculation on the CGC forums. The marketplace that evening was a spectacle to observe.

You mean when Ultron was announced as a movie villain?

sold a copy for 5x what i couldn't sell it for a few months prior and i was leaving $ on the table.

Whomever pays the $2000+ bill on that X-Factor #6 CGC 9.9 is gonna hate themselves a year from now.

-slym

Actually no they wont.

I agree. There's a small window for them to make money, and they could do it. Buying it for $2k and thinking about hanging onto it for 20 years would be the mistake.

-slym

Actually no they wont.

I agree. There's a small window for them to make money, and they could do it. Buying it for $2k and thinking about hanging onto it for 20 years would be the mistake.

I agree.

My point is at 2k for that book it isn't that farfetched to logically see that value holding steady for the long run. I dont see the value of that book in CGC 9.9 dropping to lets says $700 bucks ever going forward.

-slym

Actually no they wont.

I agree.

My point is at 2k for that book it isn't that farfetched to logically see that value holding steady for the long run. I dont see the value of that book in CGC 9.9 dropping to lets says $700 bucks ever going forward.

Isn't the potential scare for the buyer is having another 9.9 appear? I'm not entirely sure - but X-Factor was going pretty strong and heavily hyped at the time, I'd imagine that even by issue 6 it still had a sizeable print run. The chances of another 9.9 being out there have got to be pretty good.

what will the be the book that is a regrettable hallmark example of this frenzy

like Jim Lee's X-men 1 and Spawn 1 from the 90's. Where basically people will

be saying "I can't believe collectors paid so much for that then"...

Avengers 55?

Iron Man 55?

Hulk 271?

FF 52?

TTA 13?

Marvel Super-heores 18?

Marvel Super-heores 13?

X-factor 6?

Thor 165?

Strange tales 135?

Hero for Hire 1?

Captain America 117?

Sgt Fury 5?

New Mutants 98?

other?...

hm

I don't remember people paying all that much for Jim Lee's X-Men #1 or Spawn #1. I remember people hoarding them for the future that never came. (Well, except for the early Spawn 1st to market CGC 9.8's and 10).

I think the books on your list are at least "keys" so the regret for paying higher prices won't sting so bad if they come down in value. They are all cool books to own.

I think it's more likely people will have the reaction you're talking about on the new modern books that people are dropping $10 to $30 bucks the month it comes out, only to see the series not make it 20 issues. It's really magnified when there are variants involved and people drop $100 on it only to see the series flop or stop.

It's a recurring thing. If you visit the modern section, it's almost like clockwork. When people list their current favorite books, it's usually a bunch of books with less than 10 issues. It's a constant revolving door.

FF 52.

The fact that this according to GPA this book is now priced comparably and/or more than FF 48 across a range of grades is ludicrous.

1) He's 4th tier (and I consider Silver Surfer 3rd tier)

2) I _really_ don't see Disney making a movie that keep the "Black Panther" name, due to the political history surrounding the group of the 1960s-70s (so...let's say he appears but is named "T'Challa")

3) (Most important) How many Black Panther collectors are there (or have there ever been) vs. Silver Surfer collectors? How many books has he appeared in relative to Silver Surfer? For how many months has he been able to sustain a solo feature (vs. Silver Surfer)?

At the end of the day say...five years hence, I just don't see collectors picking FF 52 over 48.

Dr. Strange and Silver Surfer = solid 3rd tier.

Moon Knight and Black Panther = solid 4th tier (although, so is Ant Man--but those books at least have potential because they're early SA, not common late SA or Bronze)

This is just about 98% correct. I would only disagree with the Silver Surfer being a 3rd tier character. He is 2nd tier, or maybe 1B tier.

I am hoping that Marvel preview 7 crashes. I need that issue for my magazine collection. Always loved the cover but couldn't fine one nice enough. If the prices for nm ever drop to the 100.00 range raw I will be in the market for it again

I disagree with Hero for Hire 1 and NM 98 being considered flash in the pan speculation books.

Hero for Hire is a tougher black boarder cover that had no value for many years making higher grade issues now harder to find. I do not own this book.

NM 98. I think the character does have longevity. I do not own a single copy of this either so I am not playing the book up. However, I believe that the demand is there because the character is fun not because of speculation. With media such as toys and video games supporting the character, the kiddies of all ages seem to love them some Deadpool. Even the name is pretty catchy.

Bit of a sidetrack here, but why do both Marvel Preview #7 AND Incredible Hulk #271 get the big bucks (now) for Rocket Raccoon, but only Marvel Preview #4 sees movement for Star-Lord?

Because people sitting on high grade #271's keep trying to push it as a "first appearance".