• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman Adventures 12...9.8 census numbers continue to skyrocket

171 posts in this topic

In comic books, scarcity takes a back seat to demand. Don't get me wrong, when a scarce comic is in demand, the price is steep. But in comics, demand is more important. Any number of books could be used to illustrate the point. There are no shortages of Hulk 181 or ASM 129 on eBay. So to is Barman Adventures readily available raw and slabbed. There is just so much demand for the books mentioned that high prices result.

Believe it or not, there are no Star Chamber type meetings of dealers. What far too many people ascribe a conspiracy theory to is nothing more than herd mentality. Individual dealers do what is in their best interests - and those best interests are basically the same. At the same time, individual collectors act as herd when everyone wants the same book because - well - everyone they know wants it.

I think the whole damn Batman Advs 12 thing is silly. The Joker's daughter's first appearance is Batman Family #6 published in 1976 - and it's a lot cheaper than Batman Advs 12.

Harley Quinn has her interesting points as a character, but she is, at best, a third tier, one-dimensional novelty character, that didn't even originate in comics. To compare her first appearance to Wolverine or even the Punisher (also a third tier character, at best), is a bit of a reach IMHO. And when her "first appearance" surpassed the value of Venom's first appearance (a top tier character), everyone should have smelled a rat then. I am in agreement with others on this board, it will eventually settle in the 300-400 range for a 9.8.

-J

The only thing thats being compared is the similar concept behind the value drive of Hulk 181 and BA12, which is the demand. No one is suggesting that Harley Quinn is on par with Wolverine in terms of popularity if thats what you think is being said.

You also mention that Harley Quinn didn't even originate in comics, and you make that sound like a negative thing. If a DC character can reach this kind of popularity without making their debut in a comic book, then that concept is incredibly unique, and shouldn't be downplayed. It actually suggests the opposite of your implication. If Harley Quinn was indeed a third tier character, then you wouldn't be seeing the amount of attention she receives. Obviously, a lot of people see more to her than a one-dimensional novelty. You easily could have said the same thing about Wolverine when he was first introduced, but over the years Wolverine's character evolved tremendously. Face it, Harley Quinn has a TON of potential.

In comic books, scarcity takes a back seat to demand. Don't get me wrong, when a scarce comic is in demand, the price is steep. But in comics, demand is more important. Any number of books could be used to illustrate the point. There are no shortages of Hulk 181 or ASM 129 on eBay. So to is Barman Adventures readily available raw and slabbed. There is just so much demand for the books mentioned that high prices result.

Believe it or not, there are no Star Chamber type meetings of dealers. What far too many people ascribe a conspiracy theory to is nothing more than herd mentality. Individual dealers do what is in their best interests - and those best interests are basically the same. At the same time, individual collectors act as herd when everyone wants the same book because - well - everyone they know wants it.

I think the whole damn Batman Advs 12 thing is silly. The Joker's daughter's first appearance is Batman Family #6 published in 1976 - and it's a lot cheaper than Batman Advs 12.

Harley Quinn has her interesting points as a character, but she is, at best, a third tier, one-dimensional novelty character, that didn't even originate in comics. To compare her first appearance to Wolverine or even the Punisher (also a third tier character, at best), is a bit of a reach IMHO. And when her "first appearance" surpassed the value of Venom's first appearance (a top tier character), everyone should have smelled a rat then. I am in agreement with others on this board, it will eventually settle in the 300-400 range for a 9.8.

-J

It won't surpass those books you mentioned, but she is obviously not a third Tier character.

9.8's could settle to high $500's, but I believe your looking at $550-650 for this book now and forever till it goes up 10% per year as he rest of the keys do.

Bats 12 isn't rare but it for sure wasn't as mass produced as ASM 300 or NM 98 though. If that book was then we wouldn't be seeing such a jump.

Batman/Joker- 1st tier characters

Catwoman/Poison ivy- 2nd tier characters

Harley Quinn- 3rd tier character

like dead pool Harley is a one note character. She was ret conned into the DC universe from a cartoon. There's too many collectors who will never get on the Harley train simply because she's a 90s copper age character and a book needs those collectors in order to sustain a value long term. Books get hot all the time and then fizzle out. This is one of those books. If u love the character great buy the book. If you own a box full of them you may want to start selling now. This book peaked over six months ago and is trending sharply lower.

speculation drove the book artificially high and it is quickly coming back to earth. It is not even a true first appearance but don't even get me started on that lol. I predict they will be selling for below 500 by the end of the year and settled into the 300-400 range by mid next year when the census numbers will have doubled again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-Adventures-12-CGC-9-8-White-Pages-1st-app-Harley-Quinn-/191049514923?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2c7b703fab

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-ADVENTURES-12-CGC-9-8-1ST-HARLEY-QUINN-WHITE-PAGES-/400650736458?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5d48a5134a

-J.

-J

It won't surpass those books you mentioned, but she is obviously not a third Tier character.

9.8's could settle to high $500's, but I believe your looking at $550-650 for this book now and forever till it goes up 10% per year as he rest of the keys do.

Bats 12 isn't rare but it for sure wasn't as mass produced as ASM 300 or NM 98 though. If that book was then we wouldn't be seeing such a jump.

like dead pool Harley is a one note character. She was ret conned into the DC universe from a cartoon. There's too many collectors who will never get on the Harley train simply because she's a 90s copper age character and a book needs those collectors in order to sustain a value long term. Books get hot all the time and then fizzle out. This is one of those books. If u love the character great buy the book. If you own a box full of them you may want to start selling now. This book peaked over six months ago and is trending sharply lower.

speculation drove the book artificially high and it is quickly coming back to earth. It is not even a true first appearance but don't even get me started on that lol. I predict they will be selling for below 500 by the end of the year and settled into the 300-400 range by mid next year when the census numbers will have doubled again.

-J.

I think you're looking at only one side of the coin. I understand that there may be collectors, like yourself who will never buy into Harley Quinn, because you're skeptical, and theres nothing wrong with that. But you're leaving out three major key points regarding Harley Quinn.

1. Harley Quinn appeals to a younger generation of comic book fans (keep in mind that her appeal isn't limited to the younger collectors). Its these fans that will cling on to Harley Quinn as an iconic character, and will ultimately cultivate her popularity even more. Also, I don't think your tier breakdown is always as black and white as you displayed. Its pretty obvious when a character is 1st tier, but i think the lines can become blurred in the 2nd and 3rd tiers, and i wouldn't say HQ is a 3rd tier character. Even if she is, she has a tremendous amount of potential to climb that ladder.

2. Harley Quinn is a character that is incredibly appealing to females. More and more women are getting into comic books nowadays, and they recognize Harley Quinn as a very fun and entertaining character. Have you even seen the amount of girls that dress up as her at comic cons?

3. (I already mentioned this earlier, but...) Harley Quinn didn't need a first appearance in a comic book to reach the level of popularity she currently resides at. This is unique. What other comic book character started off as a cartoon, transitioned into the comic book world (due to popularity and demand), and reached a high level of popularity only to eventually fizzle out (which is what you predict).

Like i said, the older generation of collectors may see Harley Quinn as a one dimensional character, but you cant dismiss the amount of attention she has received in recent years. People obviously see more to her than just one dimension. I think its self blinding when people think that characters need to first appear in a comic book in order to be sustainable. Its the demand that makes a character sustainable. This demand has no signs of declining.

"This book peaked over six months ago and is trending sharply lower. "

If you're referring to the book value of BA 12, then you again are looking at one side of the coin. I picked up a high grade copy of this book a little over a year ago for under $100 (this was the average price at the time) and I was surprised to see that the value has risen since then. The CGC 9.8's can be a bit unstable as they were with Hulk 181, but overall I don't see this book having a significant decline in value.

Overall, Harley Quinn is a character that should not be overlooked, nor should her fan base and popularity be downplayed. Btw, theres a ton of people who would disagree with you about your Deadpool comment.

It's like I said, if someone loves Harley Quinn they should buy the book and the value of that book should not matter. But don't let your adoration for the character cloud your thoughts on the book as an "investment", because it reeks of a bubble and yes the book is down nearly 40% in the last few months alone this isn't my opinion this is a fact. The vast majority of the people who bought this thing didn't buy it because they love Harley Quinn it was a speculative frenzy plain and simple and it is absolutely winding down. And just because you see cosplay models at cons or some hotties dressing up like her on Halloween doesn't mean those girls are going to spend even 100 dollars on her so called "first appearance" in BA 12. I think Harley Quinn is entertaining in small doses, no I don't think she can carry a series of her own, I do like her character rendering in the new 52, and I do think they've milked the character for pretty much what she's worth already as her antics have become over exaggerated and redundant and frankly a bit tiresome.

These are my opinions. And I also believe any speculator who's holding onto these books thinking they will be back at 1000+ again anytime soon will be waiting a long time.

-J.

-J

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-Adventures-12-CGC-9-8-White-Pages-1st-app-Harley-Quinn-/191049514923?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2c7b703fab

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-ADVENTURES-12-CGC-9-8-1ST-HARLEY-QUINN-WHITE-PAGES-/400650736458?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5d48a5134a

-J.

Catwoman is a first tier character.

My definition of 1st tier means most people in industrial societies know who they are. LeFraud is a 1st tier basketball player but that doesn't mean he is in the same class as 1st tier Jordan, feel me.

I go buy averages not obvious who gives a spoon outlier sales for 1k or $900 that who know if the buyer even paid after the fact. I have had a couple eBay CGC sales cancelled but yet GPA never took it out of the data.

Oct-09-2013 $748 Cert# 0215435001

That sale started the hype (next one was the supposed 1K), and it looks that has pretty much been the average ever since from all the sales averaged out. So the last couple of sales at $659 and $677 are both after X-mas which is pretty status quo when people get their CC statements haha, and having low comic $ in January as per usual this time of year. Still even at CGC 9.8's let say dropping to $600-650 per copy that is still a win for this book in the long run. no?

I said exactly what you said about books such as NM 98 and ASM 300 whose print run is much higher than Bats 12. I said there is not way ASM 300 with all those 9.8's would ever sell again more than $500 in CGC 9.8. Low and behold that book is getting closer & closer to $900 now in grade.

Demand, demand, demand.

I don't care about the people who spent $850+ plus on the book. They probably have the same spending mentality back in the day paying top dollar for books on Wizards top 10 list as well. Only things I know for sure is at the end of 2014 if the CGC prices in grade are double than what they were selling for in 2012 then the book is now legit at it's new market level Bats 12 will have room to grow for years to come similar to other copper/modern keys. Heck even at $500 that is still more than double of 2012.

You think Bats 12 CGC 9.8 will be dropping below $500 which is fine, I just don't see the logic in that assumption.

And just because you see cosplay models at cons or some hotties dressing up like her on Halloween doesn't mean those girls are going to spend even 100 dollars on her so called "first appearance" in BA 12.

Except they have been, for quite awhile, long before this board went crazy over BA 12 this past summer/fall.

Arguing over where a character belongs tier wise is a fruitless endeavor. From what you have written though, it would seem you are grossly misinterpreting the popularity of the character. She may be "third tier" in terms of use, but is arguably the most popular/recognizable villain, outside of Bane, to be created since Ghul in the 70s. A large reason for this being her presence in the Animated Series, which you seem to downplay for some reason.

She also was a very engaging main villain in the live-action "Birds of Prey" TV show. That must have gotten her a more prime-time mainstream awareness before it was cancelled too.

Walmart just put the complete series on their $10 DVD rack and it's already sold out of every store I go to. Might be just a coincidence

.....because the original carnival barking that artificially bloated the prices of these was that they were "rare" in grade. Now that everyone knows that's not true the carnival barkers have gone to the tried and true "well she's popular so it's demand" that is what "really drives the value". I am positing that the character is not as popular as you are suggesting, and the popularity is of a different nature than bane, venom or any other "newer" character. Harley is popular in a porn star way, and that is why so many collecting purists reject her, regardless of what comic age they grew up in. To make matters worse, she was never even intended to be a comic book character. Then, the book that is being called her "first appearance" technically isn't (and not in the hulk 180/181 way either) and she appears in one of the most universally reviled decades of comic book creation. There's just too many sketchy things about the book for too many collectors to take it seriously as an "investment" book. It has had it's day in the sun, but like most fad books the sun will eventually set on it. As is happening already. But again, as I have repeatedly said, if you love Harley Quinn and you like owning this book as her first appearance, more power to you the monetary value is irrelevant. You should always collect what you love regardless. However it is common knowledge that most who post on these boards are dealers first, collectors second, so I can certainly appreciate the salesmanship. (thumbs u

-J.

Then, the book that is being called her "first appearance" technically isn't (and not in the hulk 180/181 way either) and she appears in one of the most universally reviled decades of comic book creation. There's just too many sketchy things about the book for too many collectors to take it seriously as an "investment" book. It has had it's day in the sun, but like most fad books the sun will eventually set on it. As is happening already.
Not jumping on you or anything, but this series was realIy great series recapturing the "innocence" of Batman in funnybooks for kids and big kids. I have always enjoyed the Batman Adventures and Superman Adventures books from the 90's to this very day myself. I'm glad a few of them are getting the attention they rightfully deserve now. I also can accept a new character from the TV series transferring to the actual comic medium, X-23 for example. I've read #12 quite a few times, a Batman-centric book with a basic kidnapping plot, Batgirl alone against two deadly foes, and I feel it perfectly complements narrative of the television show for the fans outside the DC continuity.

I couldn't agree with you more NewEngland. I consider myself a Harley fan as well, even though her current iteration is absolutely nothing like that of the show or BA 12. I actually like her MORE now lol. My posts have merely been in response to the OP's original assertions regarding the "scarcity" and the value relative to the perceived demand of the actual comic. Like everyone else I too have overspent on characters I really love. And I have done it with eyes wide open.

-J.

While I agree with the prices going down, I disagree if you don't think this book has long term value and that it is just a flash in the pan propped up by hype on the internet.

Everything else you wrote about "collecting purists" and being "popular in a porn star way" and "never even intended to be a comic book character" is just nonsense. It is a rant composed of vague and irrelevant statements that does nothing to make a case against her level of popularity.

This character is hot across the board, everything from Gotham City Sirens to Gotham Girls to the Harley and Ivy mini to the one-shot with the Ross cover to Mad Love sells well and consistently.

For a Batman collector, especially one that doesn't have the pockets to collect SA and GA books, she is a key character. That is undeniable. And as we all know, the number of Batman collectors is quite large. This book was seeing a substantial increase in value long before this board caught wind of it. And unlike the vast majority of books from the past three decades this was not the result of movie rumors or a tv show adaptation or any other single reason

While I agree with the prices going down, I disagree if you don't think this book has long term value and that it is just a flash in the pan propped up by hype on the internet.

Everything else you wrote about "collecting purists" and being "popular in a porn star way" and "never even intended to be a comic book character" is just nonsense. It is a rant composed of vague and irrelevant statements that does nothing to make a case against her level of popularity.

This character is hot across the board, everything from Gotham City Sirens to Gotham Girls to the Harley and Ivy mini to the one-shot with the Ross cover to Mad Love sells well and consistently.

For a Batman collector, especially one that doesn't have the pockets to collect SA and GA books, she is a key character. That is undeniable. And as we all know, the number of Batman collectors is quite large. This book was seeing a substantial increase in value long before this board caught wind of it. And unlike the vast majority of books from the past three decades this was not the result of movie rumors or a tv show adaptation or any other single reason

I believe I was very cogent and specific with my rationale in explaining the many problems the seasoned collecting market at large has with the book. You are certainly entitled to your opinion as to the "value" of it. However at this point you seem to be defending the popularity of Harley Quinn as a character overall rather than the rationale of the price point of the book that features her alleged first appearance. Which is fine, you're a Harley fan, you probably have a short box of BA 12 you're slowly unloading on ebay, I get it, it's all business. ;)

-J.

1. Harley Quinn appeals to a younger generation of comic book fans (keep in mind that her appeal isn't limited to the younger collectors). Its these fans that will cling on to Harley Quinn as an iconic character, and will ultimately cultivate her popularity even more. Also, I don't think your tier breakdown is always as black and white as you displayed. Its pretty obvious when a character is 1st tier, but i think the lines can become blurred in the 2nd and 3rd tiers, and i wouldn't say HQ is a 3rd tier character. Even if she is, she has a tremendous amount of potential to climb that ladder.

2. Harley Quinn is a character that is incredibly appealing to females. More and more women are getting into comic books nowadays, and they recognize Harley Quinn as a very fun and entertaining character. Have you even seen the amount of girls that dress up as her at comic cons?

3. (I already mentioned this earlier, but...) Harley Quinn didn't need a first appearance in a comic book to reach the level of popularity she currently resides at. This is unique. What other comic book character started off as a cartoon, transitioned into the comic book world (due to popularity and demand), and reached a high level of popularity only to eventually fizzle out (which is what you predict).

As viewed from the 'older' seats, those three points seem spot on, especially #2.

TV animation, videos games, statues, figures, cosplay... and has yet to appear in a theatrical film. Hell, there're 'popular' comic book characters who've knocked around for a half-century without that kind of résumé.

And not to get too deep in the 'money' debate, but I think I read $800? That's what, roughly a week's wage in this day and age? Expensive, sure, but doesn't seem 'insane'. Not for a character so strongly established in current pop culture.

I believe I was very cogent and specific with my rationale in explaining the many problems the seasoned collecting market at large has with the book.

I don't think your views are shared with the collecting market at large. And what you did write has very little weight or meaning in regards to her popularity.

That "she was never intended to be a comic book character" is irrelevant.

This statement, "Harley is popular in a porn star way, and that is why so many collecting purists reject her", is nonsense. What does that even mean?

However at this point you seem to be defending the popularity of Harley Quinn as a character overall rather than the rationale of the price point of the book that features her alleged first appearance.

I was never in disagreement with the current price point of this book. I've stated numerous times that it will go down and is not a book to buy into at the moment.

But yes I am defending the popularity of the character, as you seem to be grossly underestimating said popularity. And her popularity is one of the reasons why I think BA 12 has long term value.

Name a more popular Batman villain, other than Bane, that has been created since Ghul. Black Mask? Killer Croc? Hush? There isn't one.

Which is fine, you're a Harley fan, you probably have a short box of BA 12 you're slowly unloading on ebay, I get it, it's all business. ;)

I'm a huge Batman fan, but not a Harley fan. Especially in regards to her new 52 look, which I think is atrocious. However, as a Batman fan I recognize and understand her appeal and importance.

And no, I don't have any BA 12 at the moment. I sold all of them long before the recent uptick in prices this past summer/fall. I even made a post about this book in the comics heating up thread months before the frenzy:

bat12.jpg

I occasionally find a weathered copy of this book at Half Price Books, but I offload it as quickly as possible, since now is the time to be selling these, not buying them.

I'm much more partial to the Harley Quinn one-shot with the Ross cover myself.

Darkstar, you definitely seem to know your stuff and I'm always up for a friendly debate. However the points you quote from my post are the peripheral points and are my personal opinions about the character in general. My other more central points pertaining to the problems with the book that is the consensus of the seasoned collecting market at large are stated later in that same post and do not need repeating here.

And YES I couldn't agree more about the one shot. Better cover, better story, more significant book as to her character IMO.

-J.

.....because the original carnival barking that artificially bloated the prices of these was that they were "rare" in grade. Now that everyone knows that's not true the carnival barkers have gone to the tried and true "well she's popular so it's demand" that is what "really drives the value". I am positing that the character is not as popular as you are suggesting, and the popularity is of a different nature than bane, venom or any other "newer" character. Harley is popular in a porn star way, and that is why so many collecting purists reject her, regardless of what comic age they grew up in. To make matters worse, she was never even intended to be a comic book character. Then, the book that is being called her "first appearance" technically isn't (and not in the hulk 180/181 way either) and she appears in one of the most universally reviled decades of comic book creation. There's just too many sketchy things about the book for too many collectors to take it seriously as an "investment" book. It has had it's day in the sun, but like most fad books the sun will eventually set on it. As is happening already. But again, as I have repeatedly said, if you love Harley Quinn and you like owning this book as her first appearance, more power to you the monetary value is irrelevant. You should always collect what you love regardless. However it is common knowledge that most who post on these boards are dealers first, collectors second, so I can certainly appreciate the salesmanship. (thumbs u

-J.

My adoration for HQ is quite minimal, and Im actually more of a Marvel fan. Like I said, i bought the book about a year ago, and Ive already made profits on it. Its clear that the 9.8s have gone down. The same thing happened to Hulk 181, but overall there has been an increase in value, and whether you want to believe it or not, those cosplay girls have a lot to do with it, and yes, they are in fact spending that much money on it. Btw, people are defending her popularity quite simply because it ties into the value of the book. Without her popularity you wouldn't be seeing these high numbers. Ill admit that speculation probably is a factor (especially with that $1,000 fluke) but due to the amount of attention she receives I think its clear that her demand outweighs her speculation, but you just want to believe that its mostly speculation. Thats fine, but ill strongly disagree with you. You already said that the 9.8's will settle in the 300-400 range, thats still a pretty high number for a such a "1 dimensional, third tier porn star novelty character who didn't even maker her debut in a comic book".

What's the "seasoned collecting market"? (shrug)

Another way of saying "long term investors"? The benchwork & quick flip crowd? Aging hardcore fandom?

Serious question. :wishluck:

Mostly number 1 with a sprinkle of number 3. The guys over in the GA and SA threads would roll their eyes at this entire conversation. Now I'm going to go buy a couple dozen raw Transformers #1's before the next movie with marky mark comes out. lol

-J.