• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman Adventures 12...9.8 census numbers continue to skyrocket

171 posts in this topic

I honestly believe the fact that BA 12 is not actually the character's first appearance and is more a comic book adaptation of a cartoon character will keep it from being taken seriously by a lot of collectors. Layman awareness does not necessarily equate to long term value of what is a very dubious book, that only very recently spiked in value, despite being twenty years old. That alone should tell you it's a very bubbly book. And as we have learned time and again, bubbles pop. The character may still remain popular, but let's face it guys, BA 12 is a bit of a fraud book. Just sayin.... Kudos to all of you dealers and flippers who timed the market right and made money off it though.

-J.

What is?

She first appeared in the animated series. The content of the book does hold it down slightly, imo. There's no introduction like, "Hey, check out this new character Harley Quinn!!".

She's just there, and you're supposed to know who it is from the TV show.

Don't get me wrong, I love the book. It's just not a great first appearance story. I think her second appearance in Mad Love is better.

Right that is a problem with the book. BA 12 is not a content driven collectible, it is more a dealer/speculator vehicle. Like when everyone realized how popular the character of harley Quinn was becoming/had become there was a mad dash by the dealers to figure out a way to capitalize on it, and BA 12 being her first "comic appearance" was their best choice, regardless of how weak it actually is. Since no comic book exists of her first appearance this was their next best option to pump. It wouldn't be any different if people started going all crazy over batman beyond #1 because it is the "1st comic book appearance of Terry Mcginnis". This fact alone will keep the book off from a lot of collectors' must have first appearance lists and leave a lot of comic book purists scratching their heads in bewilderment as to what it has sold for in the past. That's is why I (and plenty of others) don't see it as a long term investment book. Love the character, but keep it real with the book.

-J.

I'm a collector who values content above all else and I agree this book isn't desirable because of the story, or the importance to any canon. It's still a significant comic for Harley fans, though.

Just for conversations sake, another book that is similar but different is NYX #3. X-23's a chick that also first appeared on TV and she's fairly popular. NYX #3 sells for around 50 bucks, I think, and it's a good read. Excellent story-telling and a great reveal.

I honestly believe the fact that BA 12 is not actually the character's first appearance and is more a comic book adaptation of a cartoon character will keep it from being taken seriously by a lot of collectors. Layman awareness does not necessarily equate to long term value of what is a very dubious book, that only very recently spiked in value, despite being twenty years old. That alone should tell you it's a very bubbly book. And as we have learned time and again, bubbles pop. The character may still remain popular, but let's face it guys, BA 12 is a bit of a fraud book. Just sayin.... Kudos to all of you dealers and flippers who timed the market right and made money off it though.

-J.

What is?

She first appeared in the animated series. The content of the book does hold it down slightly, imo. There's no introduction like, "Hey, check out this new character Harley Quinn!!".

She's just there, and you're supposed to know who it is from the TV show.

Don't get me wrong, I love the book. It's just not a great first appearance story. I think her second appearance in Mad Love is better.

Right that is a problem with the book. BA 12 is not a content driven collectible, it is more a dealer/speculator vehicle. Like when everyone realized how popular the character of harley Quinn was becoming/had become there was a mad dash by the dealers to figure out a way to capitalize on it, and BA 12 being her first "comic appearance" was their best choice, regardless of how weak it actually is. Since no comic book exists of her first appearance this was their next best option to pump. It wouldn't be any different if people started going all crazy over batman beyond #1 because it is the "1st comic book appearance of Terry Mcginnis". This fact alone will keep the book off from a lot of collectors' must have first appearance lists and leave a lot of comic book purists scratching their heads in bewilderment as to what it has sold for in the past. That's is why I (and plenty of others) don't see it as a long term investment book. Love the character, but keep it real with the book.

-J.

Again, you're looking at only one side of the coin. Ive made several important points that you choose to ignore and dont even acknowledge. You make it sound like its a comic book law that If a character doesnt make their debut in a comic book, then they dont have any kind of real foundation. Im sorry, but Harley Quinns foundation has already been strongly established outside of her first appearance comic, and that is unique. BA12 may not be a content driven collectible, but its a character driven collectible. The whole point is that HQ is very popular, and that popularity is independant of BA 12, and in turn is what essentially has made that book so valuable, more so than the speculation surrounding it. Again, this is only the beginning of Harley Quinn. She has far more potential to incline in popularity and demand than decline and fizzle out. If she was just a fad character you would have seen her diminsh a long time ago, but the evidence supports the contrary. Harley Quinn is building a tremendous amount of momentum.

Where does all this "1993 is Copper" come from? Has Bob Overstreet gone totally senile and is trying to retcon the mid-90's into the CA?

eBay I would guess. They extended bronze to I think 1983 as well. It works for me. I hated them naming ages after precious metals anyway. After copper thank goodness they went with "modern". What was next, aluminum foil age?

-J.

I agree with much of what you've said, but I don't think the "first appearance" thing will matter so much. Conan #1 did fine. It's the first appearance of comics that matters to comic collectors.

Where does all this "1993 is Copper" come from? Has Bob Overstreet gone totally senile and is trying to retcon the mid-90's into the CA?

eBay I would guess. They extended bronze to I think 1983 as well. It works for me. I hated them naming ages after precious metals anyway. After copper thank goodness they went with "modern". What was next, aluminum foil age?

The iPad/tablet age?

-J.

I agree with much of what you've said, but I don't think the "first appearance" thing will matter so much. Conan #1 did fine. It's the first appearance of comics that matters to comic collectors.

I definitely believe that because HQ ended up being popular that BA 12 will always have some interest to fans of her. But I think a lot of dealers jumped on it as a speculative opportunity, when it really is mostly a novelty item. A TV character's first appearance in a comic. Remind me again why it was selling for 1000? Every time I get a thought to buy one just for the sake of having it in my collection I remember what that cgc label says and I think to myself "Eh. Big deal". Cool character. Questionable book.

-J.

Has anyone else been studying the CGC census lately>?

Especially with all the movie hype I wanted to see what books were really rare and which ones weren't..

the CGC census gives us a great way to see how rare a book actually is...

One such book much debate has surrounded is Batman Adventures #12...

Actually how rare is this book in high grade?? currently there are 466 copies in the census most of them 9.6 and 9.8 and this number is going up fast..

especially compared to other modern and early copper keys and first appearances.

Well, in the last year it comes as no surprise that several hundred high grade copies have flooded the census...

At first i thought this book was rare until I started meeting other speculators/collectors and seeing their stashes.

Its just as common as any other copper or modern key, its just the dealers have a tight control of the market...

I predict there will be 700 of these in the census by 2015 with 300 or more 9.8...

with 154 copies of cgc 9.8 BA Adventures 12 on the census, there are no shortage of these folks!

My message is that be careful when dropping lots of money on some new or popular modern/copper key, chances are it will usually go back down and level off in price unless its print run is super low.

most of you guys know this, but I see lots of folks dropping mad dough on these modern and copper books.

In my opinion think the silver age and bronze age books are probably a better overall choice if you want a rare high grade book..

peace guys and sorry for being a jerk in the past..

I sold mine when there were 98 in 9.8. Glad I did.

-J.

I really don't get the "it's not her first appearance" angle. What do we collect? Comics. It's her first comic book appearance therefore her first appearance to comic book collectors.

Anybody lusting after Donald Duck's first comic book appearance, Star Trek, Star Wars... etc?

It's a GREAT cover as well, with beautiful art - Parobeck can render the female frame very nicely!

-J.

Exactly, and that's what the driving force is. Comic collectors want the first comic book appearance. (or in some cases, first comic magazine app) I suppose someone can try to track down the concept drawing, storyboard or animation cel where she first appeared but that's irrelevant to comic collectors