• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman Adventures 12...9.8 census numbers continue to skyrocket

171 posts in this topic

Has anyone else been studying the CGC census lately>?

Especially with all the movie hype I wanted to see what books were really rare and which ones weren't..

the CGC census gives us a great way to see how rare a book actually is...

One such book much debate has surrounded is Batman Adventures #12...

Actually how rare is this book in high grade?? currently there are 466 copies in the census most of them 9.6 and 9.8 and this number is going up fast..

especially compared to other modern and early copper keys and first appearances.

Well, in the last year it comes as no surprise that several hundred high grade copies have flooded the census...

At first i thought this book was rare until I started meeting other speculators/collectors and seeing their stashes.

Its just as common as any other copper or modern key, its just the dealers have a tight control of the market...

I predict there will be 700 of these in the census by 2015 with 300 or more 9.8...

with 154 copies of cgc 9.8 BA Adventures 12 on the census, there are no shortage of these folks!

My message is that be careful when dropping lots of money on some new or popular modern/copper key, chances are it will usually go back down and level off in price unless its print run is super low.

most of you guys know this, but I see lots of folks dropping mad dough on these modern and copper books.

In my opinion think the silver age and bronze age books are probably a better overall choice if you want a rare high grade book..

peace guys and sorry for being a jerk in the past..

It was $350 and I wanted it and never got around to buying it. Then when it popped to $800 I kept seeing it and regretting not having it. I just wanted it, so I paid double what I could have. It can be worth $100 next year, I just wanted a copy.

It will drop like a rock and I wouldn't be surprised with all of the additional 9.8s or even 9.9s it will dip below that $350 mark.

Supply and demand are the words lot of dealers want to keep it in control on this book. If it's true that they have some hoarded away in what unknown numbers ... then that is what they want to keep the skyrocket prices as high possible for as long could be.

My question is how many copies were printed when it was released - the Batman Adventures #12? With the census showing to be at 466 in high grades, what's left behind?

The more people are sending to be slabbed, the more certain the bubble will, one day, burst down. With that many high grades increasing, people will start to say it's common - no?

I can remember back in the early days of my store (around late '94/early '95), issue # 85 of Wonder Woman was heating up due to Mike Deodato artwork.

In the mad lookout to find copies, I discovered WW # 85 was included in a multi-pack of DC comics being sold at Toys-R-Us. Now I can't remember the exact amount of books included in that multi-pack (eight, ten or twelve?), I do remember that Batman Adventures # 12 was included along with WW # 85 and it was a pretty big multi-pack of comics.

Each pack contained the exact same books and I think I purchased almost 20 - 25 multi-packs just to get the WW # 85. With 20 years of hindsight, not the best move lol

So I'm going to have to agree, this book is not rare, just the current hot thing. That said, I wish those 20 or so copies I had didn't get thrown into the $1 boxes years ago :(

Being printed in '93, I don't think it was ever about its rarity, but whether the market was large enough to absorb the influx of available copies. This book has been selling well in raw form for a long time, nice copies were selling for over 100 dollars a year ago. I think the slabbers were just late to the party and this book went mostly ignored by the grading community until 5 or so months ago.

Why it skyrocketed? Obviously talk here and elsewhere in the community helped. But the fact that she is arguably the biggest (in terms of popularity, not necessarily in terms of use) Batman villain, other than Bane, to be created since Ghul in the 70s probably has something to do with it.

The female interest in the character cannot be ignored either. The majority of Harley Quinn books that I've sold have been bought by females.

And as I've said many times before, kids who grew up in the 80s and 90s watching the Batman Animated Series (along with the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons) now have disposable income to spend on collecting comics. As most of them are still priced out of collecting first appearances and other popular books from the GA and SA, they are left with pouring their money into copper and modern books that feature the first appearances of characters from their childhoods.

The power of the pump and dump.
No, no. That was just good timing. It helped that the timing was facilitated by a fervent pumping up of the market prior to the dumping of the books and cashing out. But it was not a pump and dump. Just good ole fashioned market timing, precipitated with some strident advocacy.