• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accidental marker on cover - restoration?

67 posts in this topic

Ahhhhh. comprende.

I'm glad someone questioned this-we have to be a suspicious folk in this business....

If it was a black felt pen it's probably going to bleed through to the other side of the cover.

no it was a japanese marker and doesn't bleed. It was FF #52

If the colours match, they are going to most likely label it as colour touch.

btw how do they color touch large areas? airbrush? some kind of colored pen that doesn't streak?

Who's they? Depends on who is doing the work.

Any way that works. Marker, pencil crayon, paint, etc.

markers streak, paint buckles paper, pencil crayons non uniform-the resto I've seen is undetectable-I just can't figure out how it's done...

You asked me how people colour touched books. I explained it to you.

Professional restorers use acrylic paint if I'm not mistaken.

It can't be 'undetectable' if you can see it. :makepoint:

When someone says something like "I accidentally drew with a black pen on the black part of an expensive book and the color fits perfectly and now I'm wondering if that counts as resto" I have to be suspicious.

right? that's why i think i'll go over it with white.....

yeah i accidentally stacked my comics wrong and the spine tweaked over to the left a bit and now there's no color breaks.....

Dave Kapelka had a collections a couple of years ago that had a small mark on the bottom left edge of every cover, about 1/4 inch from the edge. Black felt pen of some type.

Books did not receive PLOD. Books were downgraded from what I understand. Lots of 9.8ish books that came back 9.4/9.6

Interesting story behind those books, as you know.

I'd love to know more about this. Is there a thread here?

With the sharpie mark falling on a black area, I would have to think you would probably get a PLOD, but the condition and the nature of the mark will affect things as well. A scan would be helpful.

This reminds me a similar, but uniquely different example. There was a board owned HG Fawcett Captain Marvel book that was discussed here before by all the CGC big brains. Someone accidentally hit the book with a sharpie. There was debate about how CGC would handle a single book with this defect as it clearly was not meant to cover a pre-existing defect. The book received a Universal label and only very slightly downgraded, if at all. It was a gorgeous book, I wonder if anyone else remembers what I'm talking about.

When someone says something like "I accidentally drew with a black pen on the black part of an expensive book and the color fits perfectly and now I'm wondering if that counts as resto" I have to be suspicious.

yeah i accidentally stacked my comics wrong and the spine tweaked over to the left a bit and now there's no color breaks.....

Yeah, I don't think you should do that. You should post a scan here of the book.

So if someone gets an artist to sign their comic over the same exact spot that there is color touch, it's no longer considered restored?

that is a great question. if the sig completely covers the color touch i would say yes.

Yeah, I don't think you should do that. You should post a scan here of the book.

how do you post scans? it wont show anything though-it is completely undetectable.

how do you post scans? it wont show anything though-it is completely undetectable.

Noob guide - Thanks Swick!

I have a beat up Hulk #5 that was touched with a green marker of some type on the white part of the cover. It sits in a 1.8 PLOD slab with "color touch on cover" note.

wtf? green on white and they considered it resto? i would contact cgc and try to argue it.

So if someone gets an artist to sign their comic over the same exact spot that there is color touch, it's no longer considered restored?

that is a great question. if the sig completely covers the color touch i would say yes.

That's insane. I wonder how many restored SS books are in slabs marked no restoration.

That's insane. I wonder how many restored SS books are in slabs marked no restoration.

well it would have to be a rare case where the resto was exactly small enough to be covered by the lines of a sig. also you'd have to annoy the artist by telling him exactly where to sign and what to cover....

well it would have to be a rare case where the resto was exactly small enough to be covered by the lines of a sig. also you'd have to annoy the artist by telling him exactly where to sign and what to cover....

I'm sure it's been done plenty of times. I wish I could be there a couple times to see the looks on their faces. lol

I have a beat up Hulk #5 that was touched with a green marker of some type on the white part of the cover. It sits in a 1.8 PLOD slab with "color touch on cover" note.

wtf? green on white and they considered it resto? i would contact cgc and try to argue it.

It's only a 1.8 so i'm not worried about it.

It's only a 1.8 so i'm not worried about it.

you should be worried-purple labels are half the value of blue. So that's like $150.

I'm sure it's been done plenty of times. I wish I could be there a couple times to see the looks on their faces. lol

best thing to do is not restore it-leave the defect and ask the artist to cover it with his sig.....

for color breaks on the spine you could have them carefully sign the spine.....with very small letters.....