• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Meltdown – The First Comic Shop To Take Bitcoin

88 posts in this topic

Jimmy what are you talking about? You mean the founder of Silk Road?

This just happened a week or so ago. The Silk Road thing is older news, I believe. Kudos to Meltdown for recognizing a PR angle and utilizing it.

Here's the thing Shadroch, it will never become stable. Any currency that can be subject to a "pump and dump" can never have stability. Whereas Forex trading is subject to investigation of price fixing, Bitcoin is not. So if say Warren Buffet had 1 million bitcoin, you would have no way of knowing that. Then he calls up people and says hey I think bit coin is severely undervalued, its currently trading at 806 but I think it will hit 1,200, BUY. So his friends buy in and it send the price skyrocketing to 1,100 at which point Buffet dumps his holdings. Buffet now makes an extra 300 Million and his friends are left holding the bag when the price drops to 5-600 per.

or the government comes in and says it has no value. In which case there will be no value

The whole thing is ridiculous

The government doesn't determine its value.

History is littered with people and ideas that were perceived as being ridiculous at the time.

I guess thats why the creator of Bitcoin is in jail and facing criminal charges...

But he isn't though.

And Shrem was sought out by the government because he was tangentially linked to the distribution of drugs and because of his involvement in and/or awareness of money laundering. The US Government doesn't particularly care for either of those things, especially when its blatant and out in the open like the Silk Road was.

or the government comes in and says it has no value. In which case there will be no value

History is littered with people and ideas that were perceived as being ridiculous at the time.

I guess thats why the creator of Bitcoin is in jail and facing criminal charges...

But he isn't though.

And Shrem was sought out by the government because he was tangentially linked to the distribution of drugs and because of his involvement in and/or awareness of money laundering. The US Government doesn't particularly care for either of those things, especially when its blatant and out in the open like the Silk Road was.

Might want to reread your constitution. Article 1, section 8 "To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;" Besides that, they can just make it illegal which would prohibit any exchanges like Mt. Grox from existing.

Might want to reread your constitution. Article 1, section 8 "To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;" Besides that, they can just make it illegal which would prohibit any exchanges like Mt. Grox from existing.

Except the federal government doesn't consider virtual currencies to be tender nor are they entirely domestic.

http://www.businessinsider.com/is-bitcoin-legal-2013-4

Jimmy what are you talking about? You mean the founder of Silk Road?

This just happened a week or so ago. The Silk Road thing is older news, I believe. Kudos to Meltdown for recognizing a PR angle and utilizing it.

Silk Road was shut down a while ago, as was Budmail before it. But yeah +1 to link

Except the federal government doesn't consider virtual currencies to be tender nor are they entirely domestic.

The government can change that distinction tomorrow if they feel like it, which is even mentioned in the article you link. The domestic distinction does not really matter since the constitution gives the government authority to regulate foreign "coin" as well.

The government can change that distinction tomorrow if they feel like it, which is even mentioned in the article you link. The domestic distinction does not really matter since the constitution gives the government authority to regulate foreign "coin" as well.

Except they won't because they know they can make money off it.

How will the government make money off of untaxed bitcoin transactions?

Do people also make bitcoins physically? I heard some do, but I'm not sure if that's the case. If it is true then yea I would say that what their doing is illegal since only the federal government has the right too coin money, and yea they can change it to make virtual currency illegal as well if they choose to if not already.

How will the government make money off of untaxed bitcoin transactions?

by putting regulations in place like requiring a license.

they can also liquidate the ones they've already obtained through asset seizures.

Yea they dont determine the value, unless they declare it an illegal ponzi scheme in which case it will lose any perceived value.

Hello, thank you for posting the article and making some noise about Bitcoin. We at Meltdown love technology and also love to save money. Being a brick and mortar these days isn't that easy, especially in Hollywood. Tech part is easy, we move with it, we stay on top, we like the ride and our customers appreciate how we're still a family store but deep in tech and not stay a stale comic book store.

I heard about Bitcoins a year or so back ago and kept my eye on it. Followed who was taking (merchants) and what the customer response was. Every article I read and people I talked to had nothing bad to say about it. Once I heard the Sacramento Kings were starting to take it, then overstock.com decided to take it, banks around the world started accepting deposits, it was really a no brainer why not to jump on board. I can't say my sales are gangbusters but all my Bitcoin customers but one is a new face. My transactions fees are .99% compared to 3+% with credit card companies and paypal. We're happy to have it, I have no doubts that it will stay, My sales are auto converted to cash and deposited in my account. Don't knock it till you try it. If anyone has any questions or comments feel free to contact me.

F.D.

www.meltcomics.com

Hello, thank you for posting the article and making some noise about Bitcoin. We at Meltdown love technology and also love to save money. Being a brick and mortar these days isn't that easy, especially in Hollywood. Tech part is easy, we move with it, we stay on top, we like the ride and our customers appreciate how we're still a family store but deep in tech and not stay a stale comic book store.

I heard about Bitcoins a year or so back ago and kept my eye on it. Followed who was taking (merchants) and what the customer response was. Every article I read and people I talked to had nothing bad to say about it. Once I heard the Sacramento Kings were starting to take it, then overstock.com decided to take it, banks around the world started accepting deposits, it was really a no brainer why not to jump on board. I can't say my sales are gangbusters but all my Bitcoin customers but one is a new face. My transactions fees are .99% compared to 3+% with credit card companies and paypal. We're happy to have it, I have no doubts that it will stay, My sales are auto converted to cash and deposited in my account. Don't knock it till you try it. If anyone has any questions or comments feel free to contact me.

F.D.

www.meltcomics.com

Welcome to the boards! Awesome to see progressively thinking comic stores. Now, about dogecoin... :grin:

Yea they dont determine the value, unless they declare it an illegal ponzi scheme in which case it will lose any perceived value.

do you know what a ponzi scheme is?

lol why because its redundant?

So you agree with me

I asked because it sounds like you either don't know what a ponzi scheme is or don't know what bitcoin is

I never heard of doge coins before, I did some research and there new only two months old I think. But to mine them you need to have a really good graphic card it seems so I don't know how those who started a new account can get them, if they don't have the tech know-how?