• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHERE do you find your deals?

27 posts in this topic

So, I've seen a bunch of the finds from antique malls, flea markets, etc. I wanted to know if people would get a bit more indepth as to where they find their deals.

I'll start, in AZ, I find 1/2 price books and Zia records may have a few decent issues for about $1 a piece. Nothing spectacular but decent books that could go for 6/7 buck a piece. I've seen early FF and ASM's on the other threads but can't find where they get those...

Anyone else?

So, I've seen a bunch of the finds from antique malls, flea markets, etc. I wanted to know if people would get a bit more indepth as to where they find their deals.

I'll start, in AZ, I find 1/2 price books and Zia records may have a few decent issues for about $1 a piece. Nothing spectacular but decent books that could go for 6/7 buck a piece. I've seen early FF and ASM's on the other threads but can't find where they get those...

Anyone else?

I'm with you. In Pennsvlania, I don't find jack sh*t that's worth anything at a flea market. I truly believe the whole world, in terms of comics and collectibles in general, is picked over.

Anyone else?

I'm with you. In Pennsvlania, I don't find jack sh*t that's worth anything at a flea market. I truly believe the whole world, in terms of comics and collectibles in general, is picked over.

You're not looking hard enough.

I never have much luck with Flea Markets, but Half Price Books has been very, very good to me. I've pulled out tons of $20+ books for a buck each over the years. It's odd, because they will sometimes pull what they believe are "collectible" issues out and put them in their display case (usually some jacked-up looking X-men issues that they're trying to get full OSPG value out of), but they miss tons of great books in the "regular" bin. Of course, it's all ebb and flow, depending on what people bring in to them. Some weeks are garbage, but more often or not there's stuff in there worth digging for.

Anyone else?

You just have to be constantly on the alert for them. There was a pretty decent late BA , Copper Age collection of a few thousand books that the owner was giving away for FREE last year in Winslow. A forumite mentioned it here several times, but it was too far for most people to travel to.

Two January's ago, I found a very nice Silver Age Marvel collection at the Lake Havasu swap meet. I got there late in the day and the guy said he had only sold about fifty out of the two hundred books. He wanted fifty cents each, I offered him forty and I'd take them all. Most graded out to be VG/F but I did find a NM+ FF 64 in the group. I've found a few books in used goods shops in Kingman and Selig.

Ask, ask ask.

Ask everyone you know if they know someone who might have comics. Arizona may be tough as there are not a lot of people living in the same house for generations like there are in NY, but you have to look. Put up little WTB signs at your local Safeway or whatever.

Anyone else?

You are 100% right. I'd quit wasting my time. Right Now. Nothing to see, move along.

Anyone else?

You just have to be constantly on the alert for them. There was a pretty decent late BA , Copper Age collection of a few thousand books that the owner was giving away for FREE last year in Winslow. A forumite mentioned it here several times, but it was too far for most people to travel to.

Two January's ago, I found a very nice Silver Age Marvel collection at the Lake Havasu swap meet. I got there late in the day and the guy said he had only sold about fifty out of the two hundred books. He wanted fifty cents each, I offered him forty and I'd take them all. Most graded out to be VG/F but I did find a NM+ FF 64 in the group. I've found a few books in used goods shops in Kingman and Selig.

Ask, ask ask.

Ask everyone you know if they know someone who might have comics. Arizona may be tough as there are not a lot of people living in the same house for generations like there are in NY, but you have to look. Put up little WTB signs at your local Safeway or whatever.

+1 Just keep looking and don't stop. You'll be surprised by what you find and where.

Spinner racks. Nothing can top buying collectibles when they are brand new and few are saving them, and holding onto them for decades.

Nowadays, there are some good deals to be found at the occasional comic book shop.

I'm friends with the teachers at the local high schools. I get the names of students that are acting up or not performing. I send a letter to those parents advertising that I buy collectibles to aid the underprivileged in third world countries . Many times the parents are just willing to give them away for a good cause, and as punishment for not doing well in school. You'd be surprised what some high school kids had in their collections.

Good old fashion digging and groundwork. Phone calls, ads, Craigslist, classifieds, friends, family, auctions, ebay, digging through old houses, local business contacts.... All of it!

I've been lucky lately but I like to also think that if I hadn't been persistent, someone else would have gotten them.

It also takes special care not to scare them away. You can't be too aggressive and you can't be too passive either. I've been waiting to work out a deal on a large collection of golden age books for over a year. And the last couple collections I've found took weeks and months of planning.

Also, a phone call is always better than e-mail. I've never gotten a big deal with just a couple e-mails.

Here on these boards. Nearly my entire collection was bought on these boards, and I have gotten some really good deals.

Pretty much this (thumbs u

I think the vast majority of my slabs are from these boards.

Anyone else?

Oh, well, you should come to live in Italy.

It’s pretty much harder from there… lol

Said this, I always dream that I could find a Golden Age Captain America left by some soldier at the end of the war. :insane:

But I doubt it will happen… :(