• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do people CGC a book then sell it right away for $40??

40 posts in this topic

I think the high volume pros on here probably get their modern 9.8's for about $20 or a little less, cost. If they can turn them quickly and make $10- $20 per book, that's not so bad as long as the volume is there!

I see moderns that people get 9.8's on and sell for that price. Why get it CGC'd then? Isn't it about $35/book to get CGC'd that's what it costs me. Unless there's a lot better deal I don't see the point.

$17/book dealer account price blue label

I submitted 2 at a con and was charged shipping for each book. Came out to $36 per book I think. I submitting 4 books next month at MegaCon in Orlando. All moderns under $300 in value. Can one of you tell me about how much that would cost? Just the regular way, I may fast track too. I'd appreciate the estimate so I know what it should cost when I go. Thanks

Sounds like I got ripped off. I was charged shipping per book.

CGC's cheapest shipping (UPS) is $10 for the first book, $2/each additional.

If you want it cheaper, set up your own Fedex or UPS account and use that for return shipping.

Really, for a regular guy like me, it is much better for me to use a CGC subscription service for moderns if I want them, than it is to do it myself. Regular new releases at 9.8 are between $30 and $35 each, and you can save on shipping by having them only sent once a month or whenever you have 6-10 ready, whatever the shipping number is that works best for your vendor. Several members here offer this, and I have used Kevlar for many books-- always a pleasure!

Thing about going that route is the insurance. You max out and if your books are worth $1000 you are going to get a check back for $100.

Fedex allows up to $1,000 for collectibles - UPS is still stuck at $100. But, yeah, I'd recommend having 3rd party insurance if you're using your own shipping account.

Thing about going that route is the insurance. You max out and if your books are worth $1000 you are going to get a check back for $100.

Fedex allows up to $1,000 for collectibles - UPS is still stuck at $100. But, yeah, I'd recommend having 3rd party insurance if you're using your own shipping account.

Are you talking about undeclared value? Or in general? According to their terms - there is no mention of collectibles, and it seems that coverage up to $1000 doesn't carry many stipulations. Am I missing something here?

Are you talking about undeclared value? Or in general? According to their terms - there is no mention of collectibles, and it seems that coverage up to $1000 doesn't carry many stipulations. Am I missing something here?

UPS considers comic books to fall under their "media" exemption:

http://www.pressroom.ups.com/Fact+Sheets/UPS+Declared+Value+Q&A

Which means their liability "is limited to the replacement cost of the media on which the content is recorded" (if they lose a $1,000 comic book, they could go to a comic book store, look at any $2.99 new release and consider that to be an "equal" replacement).

big boys prepay for the book for at least 20% discount, pay around 17$ for slabbing, which puts you about $20 per book. Shipping to and from CGC for less that $10 total per book (even with insurance isn't too hard to find). So lets say you've got 100 books submitted to CGC, and the average 9.8's you sell for $35, which is about breaking even. and you lose money on 9.6's, a little or a lot depending on the issue and your percentage of 9.6's versus 9.8's. BUT out of a 100 you submitted, hopefully you were able to submit a DECENT amount where you can sell for MORE than $35 per. SO overall, if you're good at it, you are making money in the bulk sense.