• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM ASM 31

18 posts in this topic

If that bottom corner wasn't missing, I'd put it at a 6.5

Can a book that has a corner missing be a 4.0?

I think so from what I've read, it can be even higher I believe. I'm gonna send this one in regardless as a test to see what comes back. I'll be sure to update everyone when it does come back

Easy FN for me. Nice book! :headbang:

So Tom,you think this would grade a 6.0?

I just want to know everyones thoughts,because I have a ToS 39 that looks just like this one.I figured it would be in the 3.5 area,this is causing me to reevaluate my grade.

Well, well, well, this IS a tough book to grade. On one hand, the technical grade screams out a 4.0 - nice solid-looking book with one small triangle piece missing from the LRFC (and another soon to be missing similar piece from the URFC). On the other hand, most agree that if the piece weren't missing, then it would grade at least a 6.5.

Looking at the very large original scans, the only other significant defect (other than the two mentioned above, and age-associated wear) is a small tear at the top staple. Personally, if the LRFC piece wasn't missing, and it was just creased like its counterpart at the URFC, I think this copy could possibly garner a 7.0. But that is not the case, and is a pure hypothetical.

My thoughts are as follows: it would be a disservice to the seller to grade this book as low as a 4.0. Similarly, it would be a disservice to the buyer to grade it as high as a 7.0. I think a 5.0 is closer to its true value, and would not be surprised if CGC gave it a 5.0 or even a 5.5. A "minus" grade is warranted, and often conveys such a stigma. They could even give a 7.0 (Q) if that's how the submitter wanted to go. :grin:

Well, well, well, this IS a tough book to grade. On one hand, the technical grade screams out a 4.0 - nice solid-looking book with one small triangle piece missing from the LRFC (and another soon to be missing similar piece from the URFC). On the other hand, most agree that if the piece weren't missing, then it would grade at least a 6.5.

Looking at the very large original scans, the only other significant defect (other than the two mentioned above, and age-associated wear) is a small tear at the top staple. Personally, if the LRFC piece wasn't missing, and it was just creased like its counterpart at the URFC, I think this copy could possibly garner a 7.0. But that is not the case, and is a pure hypothetical.

My thoughts are as follows: it would be a disservice to the seller to grade this book as low as a 4.0. Similarly, it would be a disservice to the buyer to grade it as high as a 7.0. I think a 5.0 is closer to its true value, and would not be surprised if CGC gave it a 5.0 or even a 5.5. A "minus" grade is warranted, and often conveys such a stigma. They could even give a 7.0 (Q) if that's how the submitter wanted to go. :grin:

Well-stated!!! I'll be subbing it tomorrow (slow boat, not paying more in case of the 4.0)- mainly to see the impact of something like this and learn more. I'll keep everyone informed when I know the result

Looks like a 5.0,even with the corner issue, age etc also play into the grade..I just sent a 5 or higher to get signed by Stan..I am hoping for a 5.0 on this one also..nice book, and will be getting bigger with the movie this year.

Well David that's good enough for me.I respect your evaluation,and I know Tom Moore highly respects what you have to say,so that's good enough for me.I might throw my ToS 39 up in the PGM forum today to get opinions then,hopefully I can get your's and Toms as well.