• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Spock has lung disease

38 posts in this topic

:(

Leonard Nimoy revealed that he has lung disease. He said that he was an "olympic smoker" for most of his life, and that is most likely the cause.

This is very sad news.

But this is something that could have been avoided. I urge any of you that smoke, to try again to quit.

4 days .... :wishluck:

Keep going,and don't look back.No matter how bad the cravings are,those too will subside.I have stopped 12 years ago,and it's the best thing I've ever done.One day I just got tired of hacking up this brown phlegm,and coughing.

Amen. I've been off the smokes for 22 years now. My father and I quit at the same time.

My best to Mr. Nimoy

I quit about 6 1/2 years ago, when at age 29 I was told I had Chronic Bronchitis and was borderline COPD. Scared the poop out of me.

Used chanix for about 6 weeks and never looked back. Still have the odd craving once in a while. I think that's something that will be with me for life.

Best of luck to Mr Nimoy!

Now I'm disgusted by those who smoke near me too and I realized how much of an individual_without_enough_empathy I was doing around other people.

Not saying that this is what you're saying, but I really can't stand it when people quit smoking and all of a sudden have a problem with other people smoking.

It is super annoying. Someone who quit smoking, of all people, should be understanding of how hard it is to quit.

I completely agree with Davenport. Nimoy is 82!!! Wonderful!!! He was an Olympic smoker and he made it past 70? This is one lucky dude.

Those were my exact thoughts, and by 82 something is likely to get you anyway, and he had a great life and career.

I don't smoke, but getting cancer from smoking has far more to do with genetics than cigarettes, but as you don't know if you're Leonard Nimoy or Smokey McCancerman beforehand, it's best not to start up.

I completely agree with Davenport. Nimoy is 82!!! Wonderful!!! He was an Olympic smoker and he made it past 70? This is one lucky dude.

Those were my exact thoughts, and by 82 something is likely to get you anyway, and he had a great life and career.

I don't smoke, but getting cancer from smoking has far more to do with genetics than cigarettes, but as you don't know if you're Leonard Nimoy or Smokey McCancerman beforehand, it's best not to start up.

To be clear, he has COPD, not cancer. COPD certainly has more to do with cigarettes than genetics.

I get what you guys are saying about being 82 and living a great life, but when it's you facing the reality that you've cut short your life because of a bad habit, it's still a difficult pill to swallow, and a long, sad way to leave this world.

I'm guessing he's too old for consideration as a lung transplant recipient? (shrug)

In another generation or two they'll probably be offering custom-matched lab grown replacements. Every organ is prone to some type of disease or another, entropy being what it is.

I'm guessing he's too old for consideration as a lung transplant recipient? (shrug)

In another generation or two they'll probably be offering custom-matched lab grown replacements. Every organ is prone to some type of disease or another, entropy being what it is.

My dad was the same age, 82, and they told him he was too old for a transplant.

I lost my dad 20 years ago to lung cancer...and it still hurts like hell when I think of him. Mom says he used to smoke before they got married then wisened up. So I don't understand how he still got cancer.

Although they are related, there is not a direct, cause-to-effect relationship between smoke and cancer. It’s clear that smoking is not good, but it’s not a "direct" cause for cancer, so your father might just have had a predisposition.

I have read that between smoking and lung cancer there is a relationship which can be compared to that between helicobacter and stomach adenocarcinomas.

I don't think anyone is saying "might as well smoke" or that 82 years is anything other than that.

Just the perspective that anyone's life comes with a gazillion choices resulting in a gazillion life-impacting consequences.

Live long and prosper? Mr. Nimoy managed to do both. That's no minor feat considering how tenuous life is.

Since I quit smoking 4 years ago, I find that I can taste food more intensely, and plus I don't hack up green and black stuff. Not sure if I'll live longer, but my quality of life has improved since I quit.

Dan

I might as well smoke. I hear it is pleasurable. By the time it hits me hard, I will be 82 and will have run my course anyway. doh!

I sincerely doubt that the average lifespan of an "Olympic smoker" is 82 years of age.

My dad was the same age, 82, and they told him he was too old for a transplant.

My father passed at 81 in 2011 15 days before his birthday. He never smoked and had a long life, but its never long enough. He was really healthy until he got an infection in the hospital from a simple procedure. You never know what's going to take you out, but you can always avoid the obvious. I hope all of you have kicked the habit and Mr. Nimoy continue to live long and fight for every day.

My Mother in law was a smoker who'd quit for over 20 years ago and she passed in 2011 as well at 65 from lung cancer.

Not everyone gets a pass who smokes. In fact I'd say its the rare exception.

So 82 is enough for any and all men?

I might as well smoke. I hear it is pleasurable. By the time it hits me hard, I will be 82 and will have run my course anyway. doh!

I wasn't meaning that at all. I was just saying that he's very lucky to have lasted that long. My stepdad recently had a massive heart attack and died at 58 due to smoking so the cigarettes can take your life very early...

:(

Leonard Nimoy revealed that he has lung disease. He said that he was an "olympic smoker" for most of his life, and that is most likely the cause.

This is very sad news.

But this is something that could have been avoided. I urge any of you that smoke, to try again to quit.

Smoking is bad and all... But dude's 82. Smoking or not, things are gonna start falling apart at that age.