• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Spock has lung disease

38 posts in this topic

:(

Leonard Nimoy revealed that he has lung disease. He said that he was an "olympic smoker" for most of his life, and that is most likely the cause.

This is very sad news.

But this is something that could have been avoided. I urge any of you that smoke, to try again to quit.

Leonard Nimoy revealed that he has lung disease. He said that he was an "olympic smoker" for most of his life, and that is most likely the cause.

This is very sad news.

But this is something that could have been avoided. I urge any of you that smoke, to try again to quit.

4 days .... :wishluck:

This is very sad news.

You can do it!!!! (thumbs u

I have not smoked since July 4th weekend 2009. Glad I quit, I can breathe easier and since the price of cigs went up afterwards, I'm saving about $1500 a year.

Now I'm disgusted by those who smoke near me too and I realized how much of an individual_without_enough_empathy I was doing around other people.

Edit: I love how this site censors "a-hole"!

He won't get better. You can live with it for years, but you progressively worsen. His comment about not being able to walk distances is very telling. Those distances will become shorter and shorter, until the trip from his living room to his bathroom will become a major chore. If he doesn't already, he'll soon have oxygen tanks nearby at all times.

My dad died of COPD 2 years ago. It's terribly sad.

He won't get better. You can live with it for years, but you progressively worsen. His comment about not being able to walk distances is very telling. Those distances will become shorter and shorter, until the trip from his living room to his bathroom will become a major chore. If he doesn't already, he'll soon have oxygen tanks nearby at all times.

:foryou:

I'm tremendously sorry to hear about your father. You and the rest of your family have my heartfelt condolences. I've worked with numerous clients with COPD, it's such a tragic disease. :(

I wish nothing but the best for him. I watched my grandfather die from bone cancer and my father died relatively young and on oxygen the last couple of years of his life. Losing the ability to breathe on your own is just sad. Both were tobacco users. I was too and I quit in my mid 30s. I chew WAY too much gum but I want to see my wife get old and my kids have families. If you smoke, you can quit. It is tough but the quality of your life will improve. Sorry for the preaching.

My Grandfather died from it years ago. He was a pipe smoker for most of his life and was absolutely miserable the last year of it. He was put on oxygen and then finally ended up in the hospital where he eventually passed away.

He was a good man and I felt so bad for him. He wished he'd never smoked and said it was like trying to breathe through a straw all the time. Close off your nose and try breathing through a straw for a while and see how fun it is. Not being able to breath properly is one of the worst feelings.

If you smoke...stop. Period. No matter how miserable your are during the nicotine withdrawals...that will pass...and it's nothing compared to how you'll suffer later.

This is very sad news.

Keep going,and don't look back.No matter how bad the cravings are,those too will subside.I have stopped 12 years ago,and it's the best thing I've ever done.One day I just got tired of hacking up this brown phlegm,and coughing.

I lost my dad 20 years ago to lung cancer...and it still hurts like hell when I think of him. Mom says he used to smoke before they got married then wisened up. So I don't understand how he still got cancer.

I've a few friends who smoke. When they cough, I keep reminding them. Discouraging them is no use. Maybe I'm not convincing enough.

This is very sad news.

I have quit twice for several years at a time after each of my daughters was born. Started again for a while and have since given up again. Either you really want to give up, in which case it will be easy... or you don't actually want to give up, you still enjoy smoking and you need a lot of will power to keep it up. Replacing it with junk food or eating in general seems to happen to me for the first couple of months regardless of my motivations :(

- It gets easier after the first month.

- If you quit don't have "just one" every once in a while ... that's how I fell off the wagon a couple of times so to say. You won't be an "ex-smoker", just a smoker that hasn't had a cig for a very long time.

- IMHO patches or gum or any other kind of nicotine crutch should be avoided, the battle is in your mind. Be strong and you will win.

Good luck!

I wish nothing but the best for him. I watched my grandfather die from bone cancer and my father died relatively young and on oxygen the last couple of years of his life. Losing the ability to breathe on your own is just sad. Both were tobacco users. I was too and I quit in my mid 30s. I chew WAY too much gum but I want to see my wife get old and my kids have families. If you smoke, you can quit. It is tough but the quality of your life will improve. Sorry for the preaching.

I quit in 07 and chew gum so much the dentist thinks I clean them , people hate gum chompers, lol

This is very sad news.

Keep going,and don't look back.No matter how bad the cravings are,those too will subside.I have stopped 12 years ago,and it's the best thing I've ever done.One day I just got tired of hacking up this brown phlegm,and coughing.

Amen. I've been off the smokes for 22 years now. My father and I quit at the same time.

My best to Mr. Nimoy

This is very sad news.

I'll agree that it gets much easier as time goes along.

I spontaneously quit years ago on a Sunday night after deciding I couldn't stand the smell (or having others smell me) anymore. Literally the next day Lou had what we think was a mini stroke at work (her arm went dead) and she had to quit out of necessity. It was freaky.

I find that if you just associate something negative (like smell, death, illness, phlegm, etc) every time you think about a smoke it gets much easier quickly and before you know it, you forget about 'em.

Wow. My take on the news is so much different than the rest of the thread.

First, he's not dead.

Then, considering all the happenstances that can take a person out, starting at the moment of birth onward, then at 82 he's certainly a winner of life-lotto. So while it's sad and devastating news, it comes at a point where profound gratitude and congratulations on such a long and productive life are in order, on beating unimaginable odds.

If every breath is a gift, he's still on the receiving end. :applause:

Wow. My take on the news is so much different than the rest of the thread.

First, he's not dead.

Then, considering all the happenstances that can take a person out, starting at the moment of birth onward, then at 82 he's certainly a winner of life-lotto. So while it's sad and devastating news, it comes at a point where profound gratitude and congratulations on such a long and productive life are in order, on beating unimaginable odds.

If every breath is a gift, he's still on the receiving end. :applause:

I completely agree with Davenport. Nimoy is 82!!! Wonderful!!! He was an Olympic smoker and he made it past 70? This is one lucky dude. And not only fortunate to have lived this long flirting with cancer sticks, but fortunate to have left an indelible mark on American (global?) pop culture. He will be remembered long after his time is up and he joins DeForest Kelly on the Bridge.

Live long and prosper.