• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just have to bring this up again

385 posts in this topic

Signatures on books.

At one time it was considered ok to tape a book. To fill in missing ink with crayons, markers.

I believe future collectors will shake their heads in dismay at the signing of books.

You do not alter a collectible-at all. You do not polish up old coins. You do not refinish antique furniture. You do not get the guy who found the dead sea scrolls to sign them.

You leave a collectible ALONE. It is inevitable that one day untouched, un stan-leed books will command a huge premium. When people come to their senses and realize what they are doing.

If you want Stan Lee's signature (why, I don't know-they are as common as dirt)-get him to sign a piece of paper and insert it in the book.

This makes me very very sad.

well comic store owners used to think felt pens could turn a worn book into something special too....

what the heck is special about a stan lee sig???? They are common as dirt!

saying it makes them special is like a guy getting a tattoo cause he wants to be 'different'.....yeah, different....like EVERYBODY ELSE...

Really?

Would Einstein's signature diminish the value of a first edition Relativity Book?

Interesting topic, looking forward to the discussion.

No, because that is RARE.

stan lee sig....NOT SO MUCH.

also, it wouldnt be ON THE COVER messing up the ART.

books sig-ok. there's a blank page for that.

comic books-art-NO.

Really?

Would Einstein's signature diminish the value of a first edition Relativity Book?

Interesting topic, looking forward to the discussion.

No, because that is RARE.

stan lee sig....NOT SO MUCH.

Ah, then I see the crux of this topic.

i mean personally even if it was rare, if there was only one book with stan lee sig i would rather have an unmarked copy. that's just me. but considering how many there are, i think it's just foolish.

For me its a more personal touch with the creators of the books that had a big influence on my life and the things that interest me.

99+% of my books are not signed, less than 1% isnt too much to ask, is it ?

Stan Lee's sig might be common, but unstanleed copies of whatever comic still outnumber the signed copies. So, in the long run, the SS Stan Lees will still be rarer than unsigned or blue labels.

If I had an AF 15, or AC 1, I wouldn't want Stan Lee or Siegel/Shuster to sign them. They are a collectible unto themselves. Defining what a collectible is might very from person to person but the general idea is that if it is something desired by many, and/or it has historical significance, then it is a collectible.

With moderns, I think an autograph actually makes them a collectible. Your ASM 700 is just an ordinary ASM 700, but with Stan Lee's sig, it becomes something special.

While I do agree that there is a plethora of Stan Lee SS in the market, I still think it is special. It's the granddaddy of the MU putting his mark on his comic.

PS. I don't own any stanleed comic, SS or otherwise. :)

plus comics have the stigma of writing on the cover cause so many kids did that. Books dont have quite the same stigma attached to them. or something....

i just can't get this image out of my mind of future collectors shaking their heads going 'why why why....'

it's like a premonition.

If I bought the book it is mine to do what ever I want with it.

well of course. You can burn it.

but i can still say future collectors will moan why why why did he burn it?

Therefore, a collectible, is also defined by time. A treasured stanleed comic now, might be a damaged collectible in the future.

We just invented a term - "stanleed".

I have to admit, I saw some stanleed silver keys with additional wordings (i.e. superhero quotes such as "With Great Power..."), that are ugly.

Future collectors could also say then, why didnt my Dad get it signed when ****XX was still alive.

You are just thinking of investment, I collect for me

no i'm thinking of the purity of comics and have a 'leave them alone' attitude. the investment angle is a bonus.

ps most people that get sigs do it for investment. for now it can raise the value. just like markers used to.

i believe that will change.

Future collectors could also say then, why didnt my Dad get it signed when ****XX was still alive.

i'm betting they will not say that. they will say dang there's hardly any SA #1's without a SL sig...WHY WHY WHY did gramps get it signed????

and anyway why would they say that when there are plenty available???

You are just thinking of investment, I collect for me

no i'm thinking of the purity of comics and have a 'leave them alone' attitude. the investment angle is a bonus.

ps most people that get sigs do it for investment. for now it can raise the value. just like markers used to.

i believe that will change.

I know a lot more collectors of SS than flippers just on these boards alone

i'm betting they will not say that. they will say dang there's hardly any SA #1's without a SL sig...WHY WHY WHY did gramps get it signed????

Stan Lee is the extreme case, but there will come a time soon when this stops and there will not be enough for those that want them :makepoint: