• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just have to bring this up again

385 posts in this topic

I would never get a SA #1 or any other HG key signed.

Here is my only sig series key with a Stan Lee sig

You cannot tell me the book has suffered because of the sig, its about the only thing it has going for it actually.

TTASS27.jpg

that is the perfect type of book to get signed. i was thinking all those hulk #1 8.0's etc...it hurts to look at....

That is why I linked you back to my first post, we have been in agreement all along.

c0404.gif

:whee:

This is an example of what I meant when it comes to CGC SS and the enjoyment of it for me. Went to Wizard World Austin this year and one of my favorite artists happened to show up, Mark Bagley. Anyways got to talk to him for a few minutes and was cool enough to not only sign my books but give slight personalizations to them based on what was on the cover.

download7_zps05f553d1.jpg

He did it for the X-Men variant stating the opposite "Avengers Suck," "Punch him in the face Spider-man," and my personal favorite "I drew this." Other artists like David Marquez was down to do the same on some and I have to say getting Neal Adams to sign not only this one with Denny O'Neil

2203783_Full_Obv.jpg

But also willing to write something short on the 3D cover and draw a thumbs up on it.

To me those are the things that make it enjoyable to gain signatures and such. Screw the future and live for the now.

And yeah I gotta say my last response was more due to being ..... about another one of these conversations.

ps what's a 'HG'?

High Grade (shrug)

i knew it was gonna be something obvious but there's no stupid question if ya wanna learn....

:shy:

This is an example of what I meant when it comes to CGC SS and the enjoyment of it for me. Went to Wizard World Austin this year and one of my favorite artists happened to show up, Mark Bagley. Anyways got to talk to him for a few minutes and was cool enough to not only sign my books but give slight personalizations to them based on what was on the cover.

download7_zps05f553d1.jpg

He did it for the X-Men variant stating the opposite "Avengers Suck," "Punch him in the face Spider-man," and my personal favorite "I drew this." Other artists like David Marquez was down to do the same on some and I have to say getting Neal Adams to sign not only this one with Denny O'Neil

2203783_Full_Obv.jpg

But also willing to write something short on the 3D cover and draw a thumbs up on it.

To me those are the things that make it enjoyable to gain signatures and such. Screw the future and live for the now.

And yeah I gotta say my last response was more due to being ..... about another one of these conversations.

oh those are awesome and have changed my opinion totally on sigs........

Signatures on books.

At one time it was considered ok to tape a book. To fill in missing ink with crayons, markers.

I believe future collectors will shake their heads in dismay at the signing of books.

You do not alter a collectible-at all.

Many people do.

You do not polish up old coins.

Many people do.

You do not refinish antique furniture.

Many people do.

You do not get the guy who found the dead sea scrolls to sign them.

No, probably not.

You leave a collectible ALONE.

Okay, I see your stance. (thumbs u

It is inevitable that one day untouched, un stan-leed books will command a huge premium. When people come to their senses and realize what they are doing.

If you want Stan Lee's signature (why, I don't know-they are as common as dirt)-get him to sign a piece of paper and insert it in the book.

This makes me very very sad.

There should be more things out there that get you sad, IMO. Instead of getting all teary-eyed over Stan Lee and comic books, think about people without food, clean water, and shelter. That should put things in perspective. Then, Stan Lee signatures shouldn't bother you so much. (thumbs u

2203783_Full_Obv.jpg

the batman sigs totally fit with the cover and seem like part of the artwork-great

It is a great book and I really have to admire it, but if it was a bit higher grade, I would rather have it blue and find another to get signed.

As it is, it is just perfect (worship)

Really?

Would Einstein's signature diminish the value of a first edition Relativity Book?

Interesting topic, looking forward to the discussion.

No, because that is RARE.

stan lee sig....NOT SO MUCH.

also, it wouldnt be ON THE COVER messing up the ART.

books sig-ok. there's a blank page for that.

comic books-art-NO.

Okay, now I don't know why you're rambling about not signing books. It looks like it's okay if you think it's okay.

THATISAWESOME!

Carry on. (thumbs u

For raw comics, what I find is a real shame is that people do not get the first page signed, like with novels. This then keeps the cover clean of the imperfection (the damned signature) but you still have the artist signing your book.

Signatures on books.

At one time it was considered ok to tape a book. To fill in missing ink with crayons, markers.

I believe future collectors will shake their heads in dismay at the signing of books.

You do not alter a collectible-at all.

Many people do.

You do not polish up old coins.

Many people do.

You do not refinish antique furniture.

Many people do.

You do not get the guy who found the dead sea scrolls to sign them.

No, probably not.

You leave a collectible ALONE.

Okay, I see your stance. (thumbs u

It is inevitable that one day untouched, un stan-leed books will command a huge premium. When people come to their senses and realize what they are doing.

If you want Stan Lee's signature (why, I don't know-they are as common as dirt)-get him to sign a piece of paper and insert it in the book.

There should be more things out there that get you sad, IMO. Instead of getting all teary-eyed over Stan Lee and comic books, think about people without food, clean water, and shelter. That should put things in perspective. Then, Stan Lee signatures shouldn't bother you so much. (thumbs u

.....it's ok to get teary-eyed over comics also.....I have lots of tears to spare for various tragedies.... :blush:

Really?

Would Einstein's signature diminish the value of a first edition Relativity Book?

Interesting topic, looking forward to the discussion.

No, because that is RARE.

stan lee sig....NOT SO MUCH.

also, it wouldnt be ON THE COVER messing up the ART.

books sig-ok. there's a blank page for that.

comic books-art-NO.

Okay, now I don't know why you're rambling about not signing books. It looks like it's okay if you think it's okay.

THATISAWESOME!

Carry on. (thumbs u

and i'm not ok for doing it if you don't think I'm ok? anyway I changed my mind.....read the whole thread....

You cannot tell me the book has suffered because of the sig, its about the only thing it has going for it actually.

TTASS27.jpg

not to say anything bad about this it is 100% cool but the silver pen looks like it was getting a bit low on ink-would it be a good idea for someone to come with their own new sharpies for getting sigs? Or use a Pilot Futayaku Double-Sided Brush Pen instead of a black sharpie cause it won't bleed through?

TTASS27.jpg

not to say anything bad about this it is 100% cool but the silver pen looks like it was getting a bit low on ink-would it be a good idea for someone to come with their own new sharpies for getting sigs? Or use a Pilot Futayaku Double-Sided Brush Pen instead of a black sharpie cause it won't bleed through?

Its a crappy photo, it looks better in hand, I am glad you had a change of mind Kav.

SS books are :cloud9: but then I think that all books are :cloud9:

:grin:

The only thing that bothers me about signatures on books is that dealers will take a low grade book, (let's say a FF48 in 2,5) throw Stan Lees name on it and now they can sell it for the same price as a 4.5. Its used as a money making scheme to get more money for a beat up copy.

No offense to you Kevin, its your money spend it like you want it. But it is what it is.

Can we get the mods to instalock this thread the next time someone creates it? There much be a UBB.threads™ plugin for that. Probably you can create a threshold...like the first 15 times this thread is created, let it ride. After that, it's kaput.

Signatures on books.

You do not alter a collectible-at all. You do not polish up old coins. You do not refinish antique furniture. You do not get the guy who found the dead sea scrolls to sign them.

You leave a collectible ALONE. It is inevitable that one day untouched, un stan-leed books will command a huge premium. When people come to their senses and realize what they are doing.

Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

The only thing that bothers me about signatures on books is that dealers will take a low grade book, (let's say a FF48 in 2,5) throw Stan Lees name on it and now they can sell it for the same price as a 4.5. Its used as a money making scheme to get more money for a beat up copy.

No offense to you Kevin, its your money spend it like you want it. But it is what it is.

I do not agree with that at all, I just showed my Stan book and I didnt pay over the odds for it, most of my books were very cheap and are not key books.

Most of my keys are raw or blue

I also live in the UK so have little or no chance of getting these books signed any other way, if a dealer can do that and someone is willing to pay, then thats on them, its got nothing to do with the OPs statement in any case.