• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Issue Resolved

724 posts in this topic

a fall of confidence would result in a drop in prices for slabbed books which could cause an implosion and the whole house of cards could fall. This is the biggest threat to cgc. Imagine a future where slabs are considered useless and everyone deslabs and goes back to the old way of grading and individually warrants their grade assessment, backed by ebay and paypal 'item not as described' policies.

cgc books have value only because collectors trust their assessment.

I still think trying to compare a straight manufacturing model (like the truck and uniform and roofing) examples to the "informed opinion grading/ restoration assessment" part of the CGC package is fallacious logic.

A more appropriate parallel would be to another opinion based service like stock advisors. They sell their informed opinions. The good ones with good history succeed, the bad ones do not. CGC is currently one of the "good ones" but these examples of "bad opinions" are creating an erosion of customer confidence.

..... and this is because, while CGC fandom as a whole could arguably be analyzed as a single entity (like Hilton)..... the reality is not so cut and dry. The bottom line is that we have placed so much confidence and trust in CGC that a few isolated incidents like these, when placed under the magnifying glass of a message board Forum, cause quite a ruckus. The truth of the matter is that only a small fraction of those who collect slabs even frequent these boards.... the vast majority will never know that this issue ever arose...... and let's face the facts, for $ 40, CGC puts a team of three graders, a customer service rep, an accountant, a data entry technician, and a mail room guy on our book...... and THEN have another employee seal the book in a very nice slab. Most of us would have a hard time finding ONE worker to do something (mow the lawn, etc.) for $ 40. We're getting a FANTASTIC value for our money...... and one or two gaffs will not erode that. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Send them to whomever did the "Costanza" comic's, I'm sure they will come back blue label crooked and higher grade (thumbs u Remember it's not "who you know it's…… no I guess it is actually who you know :baiting:

If Stan Lee does the CT, can it be considered a type of signature?

Have you seen the ASM with the spider he drew on it?

:eek:

-slym

I have always said that a color touched purple label is easily fixed.

Just have someone sign it (CGC SS) and make sure they sign with the right kind of instrument, right on top of the color touch.

Or even draw a cockroach, car or stop sign.

Problem solved and you have a yellow unrestored labeled book.

I've lost confidence in CGC from this thread.

Not just because of the OP, but because there have been so many others boardies posting it's happened to them as well.

Buying a blue label book for thousands of dollars to find out it was restored is down right terrible. That's the reason many people (myself included) prefer slabbed books when making an expensive purchase.

Not just because of the OP, but because there have been so many others boardies posting it's happened to them as well.

Buying a blue label book for thousands of dollars to find out it was restored is down right terrible. That's the reason many people (myself included) prefer slabbed books when making an expensive purchase.

if you're going to spend thousands of dollars on a book you should either educate yourself on the hobby before spending money or you should hire an expert to go over your books. Kind of like how you have a mechanic look over a used car before buying it.

This isn't CGC's fault - its the laziness that many collectors are falling into.

CGC's grade is speculative.(read the label) Get over it.

if you're going to spend thousands of dollars on a book you should either educate yourself on the hobby before spending money or you should hire an expert to go over your books. Kind of like how you have a mechanic look over a used car before buying it.

This isn't CGC's fault - its the laziness that many collectors are falling into.

Isn't that what is currently being done? Hiring an expert (CGC)?

Right. You want an expert to look over your book. Maybe some Company who could Certify or Guaranty the grade.

This isn't CGC's fault??? Does it say on the label that Universal Blue could possibly be restored?

Give me a break. Of course CGC is to blame for this mix up.

Right. You want an expert to look over your book. Maybe some Company who could Certify or Guaranty the grade.

But how can you 'guarantee' the grade ? Grading is a moving target. I like Jimjum's analogy of CGC to a stock analyst. What happened to Dan is not cool but to suggest CGCs label is a guarantee is not plausible.

Send them in again and again. Until you get a blue label. Then sell them to someone and let them go through the same routine.

Win-win, pyramid scheme. . You get your money back. CGC gets lots of fees (and experience), and the next guy, gets the blue label he always wanted.

:jokealert:

But how can you 'guarantee' the grade ? Grading is a moving target. I like Jimjum's analogy of CGC to a stock analyst. What happened to Dan is not cool but to suggest CGCs label is a guarantee is not plausible.

hmmm...what does the first "C" and the "G" in CGC stand for? Grade? Restoration check?

Exactly what do they certify? Their opinion, and that they looked for restoration, but both are not certified or guaranteed?

Perhaps it should be the COC. Certified Opinion Corporation.

hmmm...what does the first "C" and the "G" in CGC stand for? Grade? Restoration check?

Exactly what do they certify? Their opinion, and that they looked for restoration, but both are not certified or guaranteed?

First off, I was quoting the reference to the grade being guaranteed. The Restoration check should be held to a higher standard.

All this would have been so much more interesting had the books been sent in slabbed. As such, there really is no argument.

I agree. This is the only way that CGC could be held at fault for this. As much as I feel for the seller, what was the rationale to crack them out before sending them back in? This has been said over and over throughout this thread and since this isn't what happened (based on the OP's statement) there's nothing else that can be done. Besides recycling the same argument back and forth, that is.

My condolences to the OP. I'd be a very unhappy camper myself if this happened to me... :o

First off, I was quoting your reference to the grade being guaranteed. The Restoration check should be held to a higher standard.

You have me confused with another. You did not quote me. I don't recall ever saying that a grade is guaranteed. I have said over and over again, it is an opinion. One that can (and often does) change from day to day.

But a restoration check is not an opinion. It SHOULD be a fact. And guaranteed in some form or fashion. Not just a "likely not" opinion.

First off, I was quoting your reference to the grade being guaranteed. The Restoration check should be held to a higher standard.

You have me confused with another. You did not quote me. I don't recall ever saying that a grade is guaranteed. I have said over and over again, it is an opinion. One that can (and often does) change from day to day.

But a restoration check is not an opinion. It SHOULD be a fact. And guaranteed in some form or fashion. Not just a "likely not" opinion.

Okay, syntax is important around here. I will change my statement to

'First off, I was quoting the reference to the grade being guaranteed. The Restoration check should be held to a higher standard. ' .

I know it has been posted before and I believe this is the latest label disclaimer. I just cut the portion regarding restoration check.

"A good faith effort is made to detect restoration, but CGC does not warrant this process or the results."

Personally, I would be very upset if I resubbed originally universal label books and they came back as restored but there is no implicit guarantee during the grading process.

label_zps49073cd7.jpg