• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Issue Resolved

724 posts in this topic

I'm not looking for any type of reimbursement. CGC doesn't know if I trimmed this book or not. Only I know for sure. Regardless of whether your a collector, dealer, flipper.... etc, you should be outraged by these situations. It happened to my (only) once before with an early Batman. The concensus at that time was that GA has a different grading standard.

A few of you that have the "that's what you get" attitude need to think about books in your collection. Can you truly be confident in the Blue Label?? I cant, and thats the point

In today's age I can't understand why someone can't make a program that can scan a book . Run the results through the program and come up with a 100% iron clad grade . To me until that day these kind of results will continue to happen . It's why I am not a big fan of cgc .

Dan what you need to do is get those books to a big dealer , have them crack and resubmit for you .

Not only would they probably come back blue labels, they will have a nice big grade bump to boot .

PIP , when did you buy stock in cgc ?

If this could be proven ,it would mean the end of CGC as their principles would be hauled away by the feds. Personally, I don't think this is happening but I was blind-sided by mastronet. :tonofbricks:

I'm really sorry this happened to you. I'm a bit disappointed in CGC, not because the books came back restored, but because the books came back restored AFTER CGC already "verified" that the books weren't restored in the first place. You can analyze, and over analyze CGC's grading capabilities all day, but the fact is that they are proven flip floppers when it comes to their restoration check. Even If this only happens 1% of the time, It still happens, and CGC should take responsibility for not catching the restoration the first time around. I would call CGC and try to work something out with them. Any company with good business ethics should listen to their customers and strive for their satisfaction, especially If the customer is right.

It's a gamble every time and nothing is guaranteed.

This.

I'd rather see Blue go Purple than the other way around though.

...... but who's to say they weren't right the first time. Then going from blue to purple would be VERY bad. Trimming is actually the area where the greatest degree of error on their part is possible. It's basically an opinion...... and frankly, the books are trimmed in the production process.... so it's not like something new has occured to the book. I know more than one person who has slabbed a book they bought off the rack and had it come back trimmed. On the other hand, I bought a book that was slabbed as trimmed and based on the scan I was certain it wasn't..... but after popping it I realized that about a one inch stretch of the book was trimmed and nothing more..... a good catch on their part. It's their opinion.... not gospel. But that being said..... they due a damn fine job. I collect a lot of Atlas (pre Marvel) books from the 50's and they're a nightmare when trying to figure things out. An issue published one month earlier will be half an inch wider, etc.... they often have NO overhang at all and sometimes have paper showing at the bottom edge..... and I'm talking original owner books. It would be very easy for someone not familiar with the shoddy workmanship on them to make a mistake. I'm also not totally certain that substances that are NOT color touch might seem that way under a black light..... but then, we're not privy to CGC's process.

I just try to remember that in life there are no real guarantees.... GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm not looking for any type of reimbursement. CGC doesn't know if I trimmed this book or not. Only I know for sure. Regardless of whether your a collector, dealer, flipper.... etc, you should be outraged by these situations. It happened to my (only) once before with an early Batman. The concensus at that time was that GA has a different grading standard.

A few of you that have the "that's what you get" attitude need to think about books in your collection. Can you truly be confident in the Blue Label?? I cant, and thats the point

true but i wouldn't resub w/out a black light scan first. trimming is another matter.

I'm really sorry this happened to you. I'm a bit disappointed in CGC, not because the books came back restored, but because the books came back restored AFTER CGC already "verified" that the books weren't restored in the first place. You can analyze, and over analyze CGC's grading capabilities all day, but the fact is that they are proven flip floppers when it comes to their restoration check. Even If this only happens 1% of the time, It still happens, and CGC should take responsibility for not catching the restoration the first time around. I would call CGC and try to work something out with them. Any company with good business ethics should listen to their customers and strive for their satisfaction, especially If the customer is right.

cgc could just counter with 'if the books hadn't been cracked we might have been able to do something about this. once a book is cracked, we're outta the loop'.

true but i wouldn't resub w/out a black light scan first. trimming is another matter.

So you would trim without a black light scan?

In today's age I can't understand why someone can't make a program that can scan a book . Run the results through the program and come up with a 100% iron clad grade . To me until that day these kind of results will continue to happen . It's why I am not a big fan of cgc .

Dan what you need to do is get those books to a big dealer , have them crack and resubmit for you .

Not only would they probably come back blue labels, they will have a nice big grade bump to boot .

PIP , when did you buy stock in cgc ?

If this could be proven ,it would mean the end of CGC as their principles would be hauled away by the feds. Personally, I don't think this is happening but I was blind-sided by mastronet. :tonofbricks:

Seriously? don't be another minion and open your eyes, NO one is sacred.

cgc could just counter with 'if the books hadn't been cracked we might have been able to do something about this. once a book is cracked, we're outta the loop'.

That may be true, but If a company really cares about their customer, they should take a situation like this into consideration.

That may be true, but If a company really cares about their customer, they should take a situation like this into consideration.

well you have to consider the miscreants-they would swoop in to take advantage....

Dan, have you talked to The CGC about this?

I did, but their response was pretty much like kav said. Unless they removed it from the slab, they have no proof that the book wasn't tampered with between slabs.

I only asked for a partial refund in grading fees to which they denied. My fees were based on a 10K value, when as it turned out they are worth about 1/3 of that

well you have to consider the miscreants-they would swoop in to take advantage....

Of course. I'm sure CGC gets hit with that all the time, but they shouldn't use that as a crutch to bypass their errors, or to never help the honest customers.

I did, but their response was pretty much like kav said. Unless they removed it from the slab, they have no proof that the book wasn't tampered with between slabs.

I only asked for a partial refund in grading fees to which they denied. My fees were based on a 10K value, when as it turned out they are worth about 1/3 of that

Did they offer you any other alternatives, or did you get the impression that It was shame on you?

Of course. I'm sure CGC gets hit with that all the time, but they shouldn't use that as a crutch to bypass their errors, or to never help the honest customers.

I agree. sometimes you should give the benefit of the doubt and sometimes you can tell when someone isn't lying. good will is worth a lot in a business model. Kaiser refunded me $573 co pay just because i asked for it and pleaded-they gave me a one-time refund. that was nice, and spoke volumes....

Did they offer you any other alternatives, or did you get the impression that It was shame on you?

Shame on me. They didn't seem concerned at all.