• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Issue Resolved

724 posts in this topic

This is why you don't buy books hoping to resub for higher grades.

I understand that the "re-sub game" has its ups and downs, but BOTH books have resto?? Even if it rarely happens, whats the odds of it happening to both books sent in?

Im wondering if they have new graders? Should I trust the new label, or the old label? Maybe the mistake was made today?

Just don't feel confident

Yes, they have new graders... the old ones keep quitting.

It has nothing to do with the graders. It's all about the resto checkers. The old guy must have missed the resto while he was getting liquored up on his lunch break. The new guy is obviously much more of a bookwormish, no-life guy who has nothing better to do than to spitefully pick out random submissions and label them "restored" just to get back at the society which mercilessly bullied him in his not-too-distant youth.

So CGC got better at resto (trimming) detection ... how is that bad ? (shrug)

How would you feel if one of your hi grade books you paid top dollar for turned out to have resto on it??

If it turned out to have resto then it turned out to have resto.I'd take the hit and accept it. Whining over it wouldn't turn the purple back into blue.

Not looking for sympathy, or trying to "whine" - Just venting some frustration among people (and a few friends Ive picked up along the way) who understand what the :censored: Im talking about

And maybe save someone else from going through the same thing

I'm sorry to hear this. And as someone who can't detect resto I must admit this worries me a bit. People are always saying if you aren't an expert at detecting resto just buy graded books. Now I'm not sure that is as safe as I always assumed.

He gets it (thumbs u

I'm shocked at all of these "it happens, resubs are risky" type responses. Talk about apathy. Isn't the fact that resubs are risky besides the freaking point?

I never understand the resub game,did they not look nice in the old labels?

Shoulda just left em be. meh

Doesn't matter. If they are restored now they were restored then. Even sitting in a blue label.

EDIT: That is to say my problem (and I would guess Dan's) is not that they came back restored, but that they didn't come back restored the first time.

People ooh and aah about all the "wins" they see when someone gets an upgrade but I've been saying for years that there are big losses too. You just don't hear about them as often.

It's a gamble every time and nothing is guaranteed.

Ahem...THEN WHAT THE EFF IS THE BASIS UPON WHICH PEOPLE PAY A PREMIUM FOR SLABS?

Sorry for the outburst. The extent to which blatant absurdity has been normalized in this hobby is impressive.

I'm shocked at all of these "it happens, resubs are risky" type responses. Talk about apathy. Isn't the fact that resubs are risky besides the freaking point?

I think the point is sometimes (rarely I hope) CGC misses resto.

And sometimes (even more rarely, I hope) CGC finds resto where there isn't any. Haven't there been a few cases on these boards where the OO boardie sent books in that came back purple (trimmed, IIRC)?

Not many things can be done 100% , 100% of the time.

Why? It's all a money play now.

If CGC graded books are such a crapshoot, isn't it rational to question WHY premiums are still paid?

Yes.

The risk should be a drop in grade and not, "Surprise, your blue label is now purple. We know it sucks, but those are the breaks when you play the resub game."

I know that its a "gamble" to re-sub, but the gamble should be in the grade, not the color of the label

True, but a past mistake was corrected. CGC employees err at times (even if it is on that rare occasion), even though we expect them not to.

Why? It's all a money play now.

If CGC graded books are such a crapshoot, isn't it rational to question WHY premiums are still paid?

Sure it is. I am more responding to the apathy part. If this thing was a "success" then some stupid rube sucker would be paying more money for a pressed up, shined up key. If that is success, pardon me for not jumping up and down about failure.

Yes.

The risk should be a drop in grade and not, "Surprise, your blue label is now purple. We know it sucks, but those are the breaks when you play the resub game."

It sucks to suck.

I find it fascinating that so many are saying that it is foolish to re-sub, because you don't know what is going to be the end result.

Don't y'all worry about the book in your collection, not being what you (and CGC) thought it was. Your grail in a 5.0 holder, might be a 5.0 restored (trimmed and color touched) book.

What are the fees to CGC for? Guesses? Maybe yes, maybe no?

I know that humans make mistakes. But two books belonging to one collector, at the same time? Defies all odds, and seems to indicate to me that the problem is now. Not when they were checked and graded the first time.

Now, maybe Spider Dan has two books in purple holders, that actualy are not restored. How is he going to know? How much value did he just lose?

Trust in CGC? Then, or now?

What will tomorrow bring?

People ooh and aah about all the "wins" they see when someone gets an upgrade but I've been saying for years that there are big losses too. You just don't hear about them as often.

It's a gamble every time and nothing is guaranteed.

Ahem...THEN WHAT THE EFF IS THE BASIS UPON WHICH PEOPLE PAY A PREMIUM FOR SLABS?

Sorry for the outburst. The extent to which blatant absurdity has been normalized in this hobby is impressive.

I'm not apathetic.

It just is a fact though that nobody does a perfect job. I never expected CGC to do a perfect job. You can call it what you want but that is the reality of the situation.