• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Issue Resolved

724 posts in this topic

The risk should be a drop in grade and not, "Surprise, your blue label is now purple."

Ridiculous. If the book has resto then it has resto. Period.

That's true, and I wouldn't send them back in hoping for a blue label. Point is they should have been in a purple label in the 1st place.

People shell out big dollars based on CGC grading. I for one, cant be 100% sure what Im buying anymore

What I've always failed to understand is how resubs result in different scores. Sure, grading is subjective... But isn't that why we pay CGC to give us the grade? They're supposed to be the authority, and in a sense the final word. Yet the same book can result in different grades upon different submissions?? I guess that's why I always hear "buy the book not the grade".

Now we can't even have cgc agree if a book is a restoration or not? Concerning to say the least.

And Dan, complete bummer. Two books too. As if one coming back restored wasn't bad enough!

The risk should be a drop in grade and not, "Surprise, your blue label is now purple."

If the books had resto, why were they in a blue label to start with?

People shell out big dollars based on CGC grading. I for one, cant be 100% sure what Im buying anymore

I picked up 2 iPhone 5s at the same time at the same store. One for me, one for my wife. Mine gives me no problems. Hers on the other hand :pullhair:

Luck of the draw on any product.

I'm shocked at all of these "it happens, resubs are risky" type responses. Talk about apathy. Isn't the fact that resubs are risky besides the freaking point?

Why? It's all a money play now.

If CGC graded books are such a crapshoot, isn't it rational to question WHY premiums are still paid?

Sure it is. I am more responding to the apathy part. If this thing was a "success" then some stupid rube sucker would be paying more money for a pressed up, shined up key. If that is success, pardon me for not jumping up and down about failure.

What about mourning the fact that both sides are true. But really one (perhaps misguided confidence in a label) begets the other (the rubes paying up).

My guess is that when a grader thinks resto has occurred, unless its super obvious they get a second opinion. So its LESS (But still possible) likely that they incorrectly assessed them this time, also there are potential clerical issues that might come into play. BUT its more likely that a grader who was off his game way back in the day missed the resto, for any number of reasons. We rely on CGC, but there's no way that any human can get resto check found in 100% of cases, and given the volume going through, they're going to miss some for sure, and probably occasionally assign resto where there wasn't any.

THe odds I'm sure are way way against it, but the with the number of books that go through CGC, it is bound to happen occasionally.

A mistake was made Andrew. One that has since been corrected. To me, it's clear cut.

some times when you take your car to the shop they screw it up. usually they fix it but mistakes happen. we still have to take our car to the shops when it breaks down. likewise with doctors and everything. humans are fallible I think I've proven that pretty conclusively.

I'm shocked at all of these "it happens, resubs are risky" type responses. Talk about apathy. Isn't the fact that resubs are risky besides the freaking point?

Why? It's all a money play now.

If CGC graded books are such a crapshoot, isn't it rational to question WHY premiums are still paid?

Sure it is. I am more responding to the apathy part. If this thing was a "success" then some stupid rube sucker would be paying more money for a pressed up, shined up key. If that is success, pardon me for not jumping up and down about failure.

What about mourning the fact that both sides are true.

I'm not sure I know what you are saying, Art.

I picked up 2 iPhone 5s at the same time at the same store. One for me, one for my wife. Mine gives me no problems. Hers on the other hand :pullhair:

Luck of the draw on any product.

This is definitely the same thing - Sorry about your bad iphone

A mistake was made Andrew. One that has since been corrected. To me, it's clear cut.

True enough, but I suspect that no amount of mistakes would be sufficient to unhinge the faithful.

Have at it, gents. It ain't my money.

What I've always failed to understand is how resubs result in different scores. Sure, grading is subjective... But isn't that why we pay CGC to give us the grade? They're supposed to be the authority, and in a sense the final word. Yet the same book can result in different grades upon different submissions?? I guess that's why I always hear "buy the book not the grade".

Now we can't even have cgc agree if a book is a restoration or not? Concerning to say the least.

And Dan, complete bummer. Two books too. As if one coming back restored wasn't bad enough!

A small bump or downgrade can easily happen - as you said, grading is subjective. What isn't is page quality and colour, yet those can vary widely as well on a re-sub. One would think that CGC would have a color-guide that all graders use, they compare the guide with the comic, and assign the PQ that matches. Simple, yes?

But no.

:shrug:

-slym

+1

I certainly hope the schadenfreude crew never have an unfortunate incident.

As collectors would a modicum of camaraderie really pucker your anus?

+1

I certainly hope the schadenfreude crew never have an unfortunate incident.

As collectors would a modicum of camaraderie really pucker your anus?

I'm sorry this happened. It is indeed saddening.