• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Input/opinions appreciated

Choices  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Choices

18 posts in this topic

Looks like I might be able to get 2 of 3 of the following books in 6.0-7.0...

With the #1, I would only need 3 of the reprint era issues for a complete run of X-Men.

I have TTA 59 up, and a 35...would like to fill in 36-58 eventually if I get the 27.

I have a smattering of STs. Doc Strange is a favorite character of mine.

Another possibility is I might hold out for just one of the books (most likely the TTA or ST) in higher grade...

Interested in the community's thoughts.

Thanks for your opinions/ musings :foryou:

I went with the ST and the X-Men. I think those two books are at reasonable and sustainable prices, as the ST was due to run up for years and finally did. The TTA #27, to me, seems overhyped and ripe for a pullback, so I would wait on that one. Your mileage may vary.

If Dr. Strange is a favorite of yours that makes the 110 a no-brainer, IMO. If you were going to pick one I would get the higher grade ST. 2c

Sounds like you like Dr Strange so 110 would have to be a must. Even though it has heated up in price.

X-men 1 would be my second choice. You have almost completed the run and that book is a solid seller.

TTA 27 though maybe hyped up in price but I'd like to pick up one for my run and I saw but never bought a copy I spotted over in Seattle a month ago and it looked to be in vg for $900. The dealer also had 2 ST 110 in about vg for$2000 mark. So the TTA 27 maybe cheaper to pick up but I think you will get the other 2 books.

Good luck in your hunt (thumbs u

TTA and X-Men.

Those two are the likeliest to continue to go up up up in price more quickly IMO

Shop for Doc when you have another bankroll built.

I own all three already, so no dog in this fight.

The TTA has already about tripled or quadrupled in price in the past year or 18 months or so. As someone who focuses on pre-hero Marvels, I've been keeping an eye out for a copy I liked at a price I was willing to pay for about 20 years. It hadn't happened before the price jump, and I'm sorry to say that I probably won't ever own a copy of that book now barring a lottery win or a major pullback in prices (see also TTA #13). All that being said, my guess is that TTA has already made its major move up and is unlikely to jump significantly upwards from here (10-25% maybe, but not another 100% move). I don't think that the ST has reached its full potential, even with the move up it has made. The X-Men #1 has been relatively static in price for a while, at least that I've noticed, and could be due for another move sometime soon.

Long story short, I'd still say the ST and the X-Men are the better books for the money. The TTA is an awesome book I'd love to own, but I wouldn't rush out to buy at today's prices unless it is your #1 want.

Sounds like you will end up with all 3 books at some point. I'd do the xmen 1 and ST 110 now. The TTA27 will get you to overpay right now due to the ant man movie hype. You can wait on that one and get it cheaper when price points level off. Besides, the xmen 1 is the biggest key of the 3.

X-men and TTA would be my choice because those are two of my favorite series but thinking about it would probably go ahead and get the ST over the TTA before it goes any higher. 2c

I think it's best to buy these books when there isn't a lot of movie hype.

I bought them in the following order:

1982 - X-Men #1

1982 - X-Men #1 (2nd copy, still own 2 copies)

1992 - Strange Tales #110

1993 - Strange Tales #110 (2nd copy, rolled it into a trade for Amazing Spider-man #1 which got rolled into a trade for FF#1)

1995? - Strange Tales #110 (3rd copy, sold it)

2006? - Strange Tales #110 (4th copy, still have it)

2006? - Strange Tales #110 (5th copy, own 3 copies currently)

2008 - TTA #27

I think the order in which I acquired them ultimately defined my priorities.

I really like them all but it took me awhile to find a TTA #27 that I was happy with. I wanted it, but always felt it was overpriced.

I can't get enough ST#110. 1st Ditko Dr. Strange is my favorite of the three, hence the repeat purchases. I've always felt it was under-priced.

X-Men #1 is going to be a great investment, easy sell, and bigger focus for collectors. The only down side is that it's more common than the other two.

DG

If price is your number one factor then, ST110 is the no-brainer choice because it continues to climb rapidly in value, while X1 has remained the same price for the past year and TTA27 is slowly going up in price and remains the toughest to find SA Key.

My order:

1. ST110

2. TTA27

3. X1

Interesting that ST 110 is so popular here. It wasn't ten years ago that you could barely sell this book. Now, it gets sucked up in any grade. lol

I was a big Ditko Dr. Strange fan in H.S./College, but ST was always a second-tier title (or lower). :grin: