• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just received my first Restored book from PGA/CGG

22 posts in this topic

The Bad news: PGA found restoration on my Ghosts #1

The Good news: PGA found restoration on my Ghosts #1

Hi. At the San Diego con earlier this year I found a good deal on a Ghosts #1 and picked it up. Certainly wasn't notated that it had restoration and I didn't see any as I was examining it. Anyway, a month ago I sent it off to PGA to be graded with a dozen other comics. I was surprised when I opened my package today and found the Green Apparent label, my first from PGA/CGG. Sure, I was disappointed that it had some color touch, but since it did, I'm glad PGA caught it, as even now, I think I can see it, but it wasn't too easy to find. Anyway, I just thought I'd post this as I know some of you may be interested in this. -----Sid

638730-Ghost.jpg

638730-Ghost.jpg.442441bc428ca341df89c4c1c2672beb.jpg

The Bad news: PGA found restoration on my Ghosts #1

The Good news: PGA found restoration on my Ghosts #1

Hi. At the San Diego con earlier this year I found a good deal on a Ghosts #1 and picked it up. Certainly wasn't notated that it had restoration and I didn't see any as I was examining it. Anyway, a month ago I sent it off to PGA to be graded with a dozen other comics. I was surprised when I opened my package today and found the Green Apparent label, my first from PGA/CGG. Sure, I was disappointed that it had some color touch, but since it did, I'm glad PGA caught it, as even now, I think I can see it, but it wasn't too easy to find. Anyway, I just thought I'd post this as I know some of you may be interested in this. -----Sid

Bummer for you, Sid, but good for them! So frown.gif and 893applaud-thumb.gif in that order.

Hey Sid,

Hope you're doing well!

Why does PGA/CGG label it as Apparent VF- 7.5 MINOR (A), but then the notes say MODERATE color touch? confused-smiley-013.gif

Why are the two notations mutually exclusive?

It would seem to me that you could consider "moderate color touch" a "minor" restoration provided there was a full spectrum of color touch classifications.

Hey Sid,

Hope you're doing well!

Why does PGA/CGG label it as Apparent VF- 7.5 MINOR (A), but then the notes say MODERATE color touch? confused-smiley-013.gif

Why are the two notations mutually exclusive?

It would seem to me that you could consider "moderate color touch" a "minor" restoration provided there was a full spectrum of color touch classifications.

True, and a good point.

CGC also allows moderate color touch under slight restoration (=PGA minor). link

PGA's choise of words for resto level descriptions are slightly confusing though.

CGC---PGA

slight=minor

moderate=????

extensive=major

CGC also allows moderate color touch under slight restoration (=PGA minor). link

PGA's choise of words for resto level descriptions are slightly confusing though.

CGC---PGA

slight=minor

moderate=????

extensive=major

Thanks, Arty. It just struck me as odd when I first saw it. thumbsup2.gif

CGC---PGA

slight=minor

moderate=????

extensive=major

Me too, but some good points have been made to clear it up.

CGC---PGA

slight=minor

moderate=????

extensive=major

Mabey its Minor because only one item was restored even though the amount of the colour touch was extensive!

If two things were doen then it might be considered extensive!

CGC---PGA

slight=minor

moderate=????

extensive=major

Mabey its Minor because only one item was restored even though the amount of the colour touch was extensive!

If two things were doen then it might be considered extensive!

Yes - considering it could have pieces added, spine reinforced, tears sealed, staples replaced etc etc etc then a mopderate amount fo just CT would certainly be minor resto! grin.gif

CGC---PGA

slight=minor

moderate=????

extensive=major

slight = minor

moderate = MODERATE

extensive = major

Why is this hard? frustrated.gifscrewy.gif

Why were you surprised to see the grade? Didn't PGA send you the customary advance email?

(heck, last week they sent ME an advance notification email and tracking number--but for someone ELSE'S order.)

Smoke, no they didn't send it this time. Every other time I've had a submission I received one though. Probably overlooked this time. I like the surprise anyway so I didn't mind getting first notice when I opened the box.

Why were you surprised to see the grade? Didn't PGA send you the customary advance email?

(heck, last week they sent ME an advance notification email and tracking number--but for someone ELSE'S order.)

Smoke, no they didn't send it this time. Every other time I've had a submission I received one though. Probably overlooked this time. I like the surprise anyway so I didn't mind getting first notice when I opened the box.

Say, your name isn't Sid, is it? What if I got your email?

It is... gossip.gif

Well, I should have received an e-mail for Smoking Hawk then, but never did. "Isolated Incident".

Although I had nothing to hide, I wonder if grading notes could be considered private information. What if the wrong person received grading notes for some high end books belonging to someone else. Maybe an innocent mistake here, I like PGA but they do need to get more organized with some things. -----Sid