• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,445 posts in this topic

Well Dr. Love, mission accomplished! Don't you just love when you can say that about anything? Especially when it refers to comic book acquisitions :D Thanks to this thread, and Mr. Bedrock i have done just that. This short run is no easy feat, in fact it came on my radar when i couldn't find any of the issues on the various comic 'read' sites, and the more i looked at the covers on GCD, i literally fell in love (no pun intended) with he ladies on these covers. So much so, iv'e code named each cover, and have a new favorite each week.

First a quote from Michelle Nolan from her book 'Love on the Racks': "After beginning it's love line with lackluster line drawn covers, Ace distinguished itself by appealing to the fashion sense of young girls with pulp style painted covers of gorgeous female faces, complete with wonderful makeup and imaginative hats or ribbons. At any rate, these were among the most striking covers on the stands-truly fine works of commercial art."

REAL SECRETS #2 (#1) -The Pin Up Girl

This issue is the first issue of the formerly titled "Real-Life Secrets". I'm sure the gorgeous blonde on this striking purple (ComicJack :baiting: ) cover will probably make this one the clear favorite with most on the boards, and i can't blame them. With the 'teaser' title and nicely designed logo to boot, definitely deserves 'classic cover' status. I have seen one other on a certain site this week... :whistle:

Real%20Secrets%202%201_zpsgqpwvdd0.jpg

REAL SECRETS #3 -The Starlet

This one was the hold out, until last week when a boardie mentioned in this thread Mr. Bedrock had just posted a small stack of Romance book on his site. I was getting ready for work and thought iv'e searched everywhere, no way this book is there. A nagging inner voice kept saying put down the coffee and check it out. So in a dress shirt and tie, with no pants, i looked and holy hannah, there she was :banana: . Sure i would've loved a higher grade, but scarce as this issue is, i thought it may be a long while before i see one again. Beautiful use of colors on this woman in red cover. Thanks Bedrock :foryou:

Real%20Secrets%203_zpse0cehuxh.jpg

A peak inside, some 'Bakerish' art

IMG_1958_zps46rhk3ze.jpg

IMG_1961_zpsspjew7g4.jpg

REAL SECRETS #4 -The Couple

The only issue in the run, (if you don't count the one shot former title issue) to feature a couple. Striking reds on this one. I have reason to believe this is the 'Crippen copy', but the slab folks will have the final say on that when i submit them later this week. I used the Metro scan for this post.

Real%20Secrets%204%20D%20copy_zpshb2jy5ly.jpg

REAL SECRETS #5 -"Rosie'

This one, is my favorite in the run (i have an under copy too to prove it). I code named it 'Rosie" because to me she looks like Rosie the riveter if you came to pick her up on date night (don't judge me!! lol). The piercing eyes. the details in the ribbon, dress and bracelet, complete with a yellow cover seal the deal for me. :cloud9:

There are house ads Ms. Nolan talked about in her book that i will post after work tonight in that thread. I put a group shot in another revived thread. Enjoy gang. Curious to which is your fave Doctor.

Real%20Secrets%205_zpsjx2gycli.jpg

REAL SECRETS #4 -The Couple

The only issue in the run, (if you don't count the one shot former title issue) to feature a couple. Striking reds on this one. I have reason to believe this is the 'Crippen copy', but the slab folks will have the final say on that when i submit them later this week. I used the Metro scan for this post.

Real%20Secrets%204%20D%20copy_zpshb2jy5ly.jpg

Wonderful covers. This one might be my favorite because of the pensive look on the girl's face. :cloud9:

Were these covers originals done for the comics or were they reusing covers from paperbacks? hm

A word on the pedigree: You may want to monitor that closely because I had a tussle with them last year over a Crippen book. They had actually gone so far as to print the label without the pedigree notation when I was finally able to provide some additional documentation to convince them to redo the label.

REAL SECRETS #3 -The Starlet

This one was the hold out, until last week when a boardie mentioned in this thread Mr. Bedrock had just posted a small stack of Romance book on his site. I was getting ready for work and thought iv'e searched everywhere, no way this book is there. A nagging inner voice kept saying put down the coffee and check it out. So in a dress shirt and tie, with no pants, i looked and holy hannah, there she was :banana: . Sure i would've loved a higher grade, but scarce as this issue is, i thought it may be a long while before i see one again. Beautiful use of colors on this woman in red cover. Thanks Bedrock :foryou:

Real%20Secrets%203_zpse0cehuxh.jpg

A peak inside, some 'Bakerish' art

IMG_1958_zps46rhk3ze.jpg

IMG_1961_zpsspjew7g4.jpg

That really does look like Baker. hm

Well Dr. Love, mission accomplished! Don't you just love when you can say that about anything? Especially when it refers to comic book acquisitions :D

GRATS, Sagii! :acclaim: This run is really really tough. I never even attempted it because of the heartbreak factor. Well done, sir, and no surprise that Bedrock had the book - his inventory these days is quite something.

I know you like a challenge, Sagii - so what's next? hm

and I love the first issue of the run, with the couples cover a close second for her expression. It's hypnotically strangely affecting.

Thanks Doc

I can still remember when I first PM'd you about my attempt to put it together and that I couldn't wait for the day to be able to present the complete set.

As for a 'challenge' in reference to Romance books, you know me too well lol ...

But I'm thinking S&K's "In Love" four issue run for Mainline with their faux novel covers looks interesting...

Stay tuned...

Is this Kirby? GCD says maybe. I think if it is, somebody heavily inked over his pencils. hm

10c383ad-16d2-4c17-b5d4-c167b17221d3_zpsbake9fgo.jpg

Certainly! I can still see Kirby in it. Really nice copy and cover. Starting to really dig yellow covers