• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium are we talking for newsstand issues v/s direct editions?
10 10

1,113 posts in this topic

When looking at the 2000's to present era, newsstands have lower print run's but also have a greater chance of damage from shelving and handling(just take a look at your local B&N....what a mess) and what I think is the most important factor is that what is left on the shelf for a period of time, gets removed and destroyed, hence lowering the print run even more. So I believe modern high grade newsstands in this era will have the greatest chance for rarity and value potential. Most people and LCS I noticed are in a fog to this and you can find these books in boxes rather cheap, so my opinion is early bird gets the worm and find them before the hammer drops!!

Low print run + Difficult in high grade + Leftover stock gets destroyed = Great recipe for success!

I firmly believe that besides the obvious low print run and the probability of scoring any 9.8's, some Marvel newsstands have something even bigger going for them.

Anyone wanna guess? hm

It is that Marvel has decided get out of the newsstand business, so no more MARVEL Newsstands?

:gossip: Check the prices on the UPC box.

When looking at the 2000's to present era, newsstands have lower print run's but also have a greater chance of damage from shelving and handling(just take a look at your local B&N....what a mess) and what I think is the most important factor is that what is left on the shelf for a period of time, gets removed and destroyed, hence lowering the print run even more. So I believe modern high grade newsstands in this era will have the greatest chance for rarity and value potential. Most people and LCS I noticed are in a fog to this and you can find these books in boxes rather cheap, so my opinion is early bird gets the worm and find them before the hammer drops!!

Low print run + Difficult in high grade + Leftover stock gets destroyed = Great recipe for success!

I firmly believe that besides the obvious low print run and the probability of scoring any 9.8's, some Marvel newsstands have something even bigger going for them.

Anyone wanna guess? hm

It is that Marvel has decided get out of the newsstand business, so no more MARVEL Newsstands?

AH HA Price variant (thumbs u

:roflmao::roflmao: I sure hope you're going to foot the bill for ShieldAgent's hospital visit as he recovers from his aneurysm.

Anyone wanna guess? hm

That's the way I see it. But, according to the "Price Variants Gods" it's not a price variant. :eyeroll:

var·i·ant

ˈve(ə)rēənt/Submit

noun

noun: variant; plural noun: variants

a form or version of something that differs in some respect from other forms of the same thing or from a standard

All I am saying is that some Marvel newsstands editions, NOT all of them have a different price tag.Some newsstand editions are usually priced higher than the same exact direct editions. That is a fact.

var·i·ant

ˈve(ə)rēənt/Submit

noun

a form or version of something that differs in some respect from other forms of the same thing or from a standard

All I am saying is that some Marvel newsstands editions, NOT all of them have a different price tag.Some newsstand editions are usually priced higher than the same exact direct editions. That is a fact.

Fact is, you made a snide comment about "variant gods".

And you are right, they are variants in respect to each other.

But the cover prices match the indica, therefore they are not "price variants". That is a fact.

var·i·ant

ˈve(ə)rēənt/Submit

noun

Fact is, you made a snide comment about "variant gods".

And you are right, they are variants in respect to each other.

But the cover prices match the indica, therefore they are not "price variants". That is a fact.

:popcorn:

Maybe this has already been covered in this or one of the other threads on this topic (so many pages to search) but is there a chance that CGC would notate "newsstand edition" on the label in the future?

I'm not a newsstand collector in particular but I would support such a notation. Or, is it far too late for such a thing to happen?

Maybe this has already been covered in this or one of the other threads on this topic (so many pages to search) but is there a chance that CGC would notate "newsstand edition" on the label in the future?

I'm not a newsstand collector in particular but I would support such a notation. Or, is it far too late for such a thing to happen?

It is far too late. They should have done it in the beginning, but they didn't think it mattered...and, in 1999, it didn't to most.

It's not as if no one was aware that the difference existed.

But they did miss an absolutely golden opportunity, for only a little more work. If certain copies are worth more depending on their distribution status...and they are, on both ends of the spectrum (DM vs newsstand)...then they've cut off that market difference. And "it's DIFFERENT!" is what drives any market.

It is far too late. They should have done it in the beginning, but they didn't think it mattered...and, in 1999, it didn't to most.

But they did miss an absolutely golden opportunity, for only a little more work. If certain copies are worth more depending on their distribution status...and they are, on both ends of the spectrum (DM vs newsstand)...then they've cut off that market difference. And "it's DIFFERENT!" is what drives any market.

It's never too late to offer a service if there's demand.

They could easily offer an "edition notation" service similar to a simple re-holdering.

More revenue for CGC from those who already care... and more pressure to make a distinction for those who don't care.

They could easily offer an "edition notation" service similar to a simple re-holdering.

More revenue for CGC from those who already care... and more pressure to make a distinction for those who don't care.

It is, of course, not a problem to relabel. Folks will be angry at the extra cost, and resent CGC, and rightfully so....but by far, the biggest problem is now the census. This is unfixable, which is why it is "far too late." Unless they have scans of every single book they've ever graded that is part of this situation, which in itself would be a massive mind-numbing endeavor, then the census will be a problem that cannot be fixed.

By the way...saw your "10th Anniversary" banner over at the site...

It's not the 10th Anniversary....well, it's the 10th anniversary of OMGWTFBBQWHERESTHESITEWHERESTHESITEWHATHAPPENED????!!!?!?!?!?!?!!!!@#%$#*@(!

Had dinner with Neprud the other night...he lives a couple miles from me now.

Hope the Ninjak1baby (who is no longer a baby) is doing fine.

It's not the 10th Anniversary....well, it's the 10th anniversary of OMGWTFBBQWHERESTHESITEWHERESTHESITEWHATHAPPENED????!!!?!?!?!?!?!!!!@#%$#*@(!

10th Anniversary of the "board who lived" lol

10th Anniversary of the "board who lived" lol

hm

You should hide a little lightning bolt in the 10th anniversary logo if that's the case....

i don't think the label matters so much...the book is what it is.... but yes, the census is the problem as now we can just guestimate based on # of copies on ebay.

question: has CGC noted 30/35 cent variants and canadian price variants from the beginning?

i don't think the label matters so much...the book is what it is.... but yes, the census is the problem as now we can just guestimate based on # of copies on ebay.

question: has CGC noted 30/35 cent variants and Canadian variants from the beginning?

I believe so (anybody feel free to correct me here), but not consistently, at least on the Canadians.

Very few of these Variants have been graded by CGC. For example, Secret Wars #8 has 1885 Copies Graded, but only ONE Canadain Variant (in FN) on their Census. One day i expect that VARIANT Collectors will regret not buying these sooner.

doh! I wonder how many of those 1885 were unmarked Canadians. I know I had seen a few by that point in time.

hm I wonder if CBCS will differentiate between the two.