• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium are we talking for newsstand issues v/s direct editions?
10 10

1,113 posts in this topic

can you show me how to distinguish a direct sale from a newsstand book from 1976 to 1978? because I didn't think there was any differentiation. The bar code showed up on all books from 1976 to 1978 from what I can tell...the distribution system started to take shape with direct and newsstand but the publishers weren't into it yet until 1979 where Marvel started to differentiate with the cross out bar code and then a few months later, the spider-man head.

The direct edition has a diamond in the top corner with or without a UPC symbol for the early direct Marvel comics.

This page shows all the variations for the US version of Marvel Star Wars 1:

http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/StarWars/Marvel/StarWars/001-006.html

Row 4 shows the direct editions (non-reprints.)

thanks...this is where I was confused because I bought a large OO collection long ago that consisted of books from 1976 to 1980...all was bought at the same store and sure enough, all of them had the bar code until 1979 and then I see the cross out bar code and then the spider head. HOwever, not one of the book has the diamond.

I just went thru some boxes and I was wrong on the saying that all of them don't have the diamond....some did have the diamond but those are the one with the bar code crossed out or the spider head. This is indeed hm

...and I think I got it.

starting in 1977 some books were produced strictly for the Whitman 3 packs and non returnable, the diamond was used......thanks for the link again.

Edited by etanick

The direct edition has a diamond in the top corner with or without a UPC symbol for the early direct Marvel comics.

This page shows all the variations for the US version of Marvel Star Wars 1:

http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/StarWars/Marvel/StarWars/001-006.html

Row 4 shows the direct editions (non-reprints.)

Thanks for posting the link, rjrjr.

An aside to keep in mind...BIP calls them "Diamond", not to be confused with Diamond Distribution, which didn't begin operations until 1982.

can you show me how to distinguish a direct sale from a newsstand book from 1976 to 1978? because I didn't think there was any differentiation. The bar code showed up on all books from 1976 to 1978 from what I can tell...the distribution system started to take shape with direct and newsstand but the publishers weren't into it yet until 1979 where Marvel started to differentiate with the cross out bar code and then a few months later, the spider-man head.

The first direct diamond bar with the cross out UPC bar code was released by Marvel on June 1979.

Here's a sample of both versions.

145881.jpg.1580edc8de8957960af2f1a571d76a20.jpg

145882.jpg.17fa965d3dfcb3c2995a3c66de354fc3.jpg

Just to change the conversation. I dont see this book very often at all. The direct version is also pretty scarce, but I am not sure which one is harder to find. From memory I think the Non enhanced direct version was like 13K or something like that. There is also a Thor and an FF version which print runs were even lower, but are not chased as much.

ASM 25 V2

I had that one, it's super rare. Here's one I see a ton of Direct editions of but rarely a newsstand. Wish it was mine!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venom-1-NM-Gem-Spider-man-Villain-Wow-/371024995812

You can but as many copies of the direct edition as you want for pennies. So why then is this comic with a massive print run getting bids? Yea it's not selling for big bucks but compared to the direct edition it's on fire. I think the newsstand argument comes down to this:

Not enough collectors know that some of their favorite comics have versions with smaller runs which are hard to find in high grade due to the manor in which they were sold. They don't have the benefit of what we see in the modern market.

What do we see today? Variants rule ( if you want to make money that is! ) People out there are making a steady killing off Zenescope variants with varying camera shots right out of Evil Angel's photo library. There is a reason for it. Sex sells especially when it's limited to a small print run. For me newsstands are the variants from ages without many or any. I go hunting and when I find a NM Suicide Squad 23 or a Thundercats 24 vol. 1 newsstand things get moist. The same goes for a plethora of titles cause enough people just don't know. It's one of the few sections of a market place I love where enough douchbags aren't clued in. Personally I'm a little to young to care about Whitman variants but a little to old to care about New 52 Detective Comics 28 and it's 83 limited variants. But the high grade newsstand is just right. Folks here can spew all the data they like and it's all very interesting though not nearly as stimulating as some of those Zenescope cover I mentioned above. But at the end of the day I want something cheap, unknown, high grade and bloody rare. Aren't those the only things worth collecting?

Edited by MrWeen

Just to change the conversation. I dont see this book very often at all. The direct version is also pretty scarce, but I am not sure which one is harder to find. From memory I think the Non enhanced direct version was like 13K or something like that. There is also a Thor and an FF version which print runs were even lower, but are not chased as much.

ASM 25 V2

I had that one, it's super rare. Here's one I see a ton of Direct editions of but rarely a newsstand. Wish it was mine!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venom-1-NM-Gem-Spider-man-Villain-Wow-/371024995812

You can but as many copies of the direct edition as you want for pennies. So why then is this comic with a massive print run getting bids? Yea it's not selling for big bucks but compared to the direct edition it's on fire. I think the newsstand argument comes down to this:

Not enough collectors know that some of their favorite comics have versions with smaller runs which are hard to find in high grade due to the manor in which they were sold. They don't have the benefit of what we see in the modern market.

What do we see today? Variants rule ( if you want to make money that is! ) People out there are making a steady killing off Zenescope variants with varying camera shots right out of Evil Angel's photo library. There is a reason for it. Sex sells especially when it's limited to a small print run. For me newsstands are the variants from ages without many or any. I go hunting and when I find a NM Suicide Squad 23 or a Thundercats 24 vol. 1 newsstand things get moist. The same goes for a plethora of titles cause enough people just don't know. It's one of the few sections of a market place I love where enough douchbags aren't clued in. Personally I'm a little to young to care about Whitman variants but a little to old to care about New 52 Detective Comics 28 and it's 83 limited variants. But the high grade newsstand is just right. Folks here can spew all the data they like and it's all very interesting though not nearly as stimulating as some of those Zenescope cover I mentioned above. But at the end of the day I want something cheap, unknown, high grade and bloody rare. Aren't those the only things worth collecting?

Yes. But again, just because something is "rare", doesn't mean it is collectible or valuable. Same thing applies to all of the "old" junk in the GA that nobody cares about, and thus has no real value in the market at large. But if it has value to you, and you enjoy tracking down books like that, then that is, in fact, all that matters. If it's worth collecting to you, then it has value. (thumbs u

-J.

When looking at the 2000's to present era, newsstands have lower print run's but also have a greater chance of damage from shelving and handling(just take a look at your local B&N....what a mess) and what I think is the most important factor is that what is left on the shelf for a period of time, gets removed and destroyed, hence lowering the print run even more. So I believe modern high grade newsstands in this era will have the greatest chance for rarity and value potential. Most people and LCS I noticed are in a fog to this and you can find these books in boxes rather cheap, so my opinion is early bird gets the worm and find them before the hammer drops!!

Low print run + Difficult in high grade + Leftover stock gets destroyed = Great recipe for success!

When looking at the 2000's to present era, newsstands have lower print run's but also have a greater chance of damage from shelving and handling(just take a look at your local B&N....what a mess) and what I think is the most important factor is that what is left on the shelf for a period of time, gets removed and destroyed, hence lowering the print run even more. So I believe modern high grade newsstands in this era will have the greatest chance for rarity and value potential. Most people and LCS I noticed are in a fog to this and you can find these books in boxes rather cheap, so my opinion is early bird gets the worm and find them before the hammer drops!!

Low print run + Difficult in high grade + Leftover stock gets destroyed = Great recipe for success!

I have a full shortbox of books I bought off the stand. All the books came from the same corner store. I had a great time going back to my roots and collecting that way. Basically I collected Spidey, X-Men & Wolverine. Have complete runs of ASM & Peter Parker Vol.2 from 9-39.

I remember when ASM 36 hit the stand. Once I got home and opened up the issue...I raced back to the store & bought the remaining 2 copies( the store carried 3 copies of each book). I submitted the 2 best copies & they came back 9.6 & 9.8 :cloud9:

I have a full shortbox of books I bought off the stand. All the books came from the same corner store. I had a great time going back to my roots and collecting that way. Basically I collected Spidey, X-Men & Wolverine. Have complete runs of ASM & Peter Parker Vol.2 from 9-39.

I remember when ASM 36 hit the stand. Once I got home and opened up the issue...I raced back to the store & bought the remaining 2 copies( the store carried 3 copies of each book). I submitted the 2 best copies & they came back 9.6 & 9.8 :cloud9:

5dfOhu1.jpg?1

5dfOhu1.jpg?1

Very Nice!!! (thumbs u

5dfOhu1.jpg?1

:golfclap:

I firmly believe that besides the obvious low print run and the probability of scoring any 9.8's, some Marvel newsstands have something even bigger going for them.

Anyone wanna guess? hm

146068.jpg.f5089dc7f90d09ad5296cc87cf5ea1aa.jpg

146069.jpg.98645e3eedc15a389f4f5718d06586f7.jpg

Edited by mr_highgrade

I firmly believe that besides the obvious low print run and the probability of scoring any 9.8's, some Marvel newsstands have something even bigger going for them.

Anyone wanna guess? hm

the answer is not "price variant"

Anyone wanna guess? hm

the answer is not "price variant"

Correct, since all the newsstand copies of a particular issue are priced the same. Maybe price gouging? :grin:

Edited by rjrjr

Anyone wanna guess? hm

It is that Marvel has decided get out of the newsstand business, so no more MARVEL Newsstands?