• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pence VS USA Editions

46 posts in this topic

What are your stance on Pence editions vs USA Editions. Price wise you can get the same Pence edition for so much cheaper, and Amazing Fantasy comes to mind when I think about the variance in price. I am thinking that going down this road would save me tons of cash, and still provide me the same issue printed at the same time.

There has been a lot of discussion about this over the past year or two. The general consensus is that most collectors still prefer the cents editions. However, there is a small but growing group of us who prefer the pence variants, especially due to their relative scarcity compared to the cents version. I personally expect the price gap to close considerably over the next several years as more variant collectors begin to drive the price of pence versions up.

Generally, I sell them for about two thirds of the price of pence copies and there is a lot more trade for them these days.

I love the pence. I had to pay someone in England a premium to find my Captain America 241 pence copy.

I paid way over market value but i see it as a premium for a more scarce book

Same situation with the Canadian price variants like Superman #1 and Batman #400(2.10 cover price)

Direct Edition, UK Edition, Pence Edition

French Canadian, Netherlands, 1993 reprint

20131030_183006_zps450b1136.jpg

Generally, I sell them for about two thirds of the price of pence copies and there is a lot more trade for them these days.

I agree...I've always sold them at two thirds - half the value of there U.S. counterpart... Key issues usually closer to two thirds the price of the U.S. edition. I'm not an authority on pence edition comics and my experience with them has been limited.

There will always be a limited market/buyers pool for pence editions. Regardless of whether or not they are keys. Of course this only matters if you intend on trying to re-sell.

-J.

You are right i agree its a limited market. My experience is in pence and foreigns and I can definitly see trend of prices going up on key books.

There is little to no market data for ultra rare and scarce keys like Iron Man 55s, Batman 227s, Superman 76s, and ASM1s...

most of these books im willing to overpay just to complete my collection.

The only thing I don’t like about pence copies, as an italian, is that with the pence price they feel "less american", but otherwise we all know they are the same as the US editions. I just prefer the US edition because I consider Marvel characters to be an authentic american (USA) product, but if I was british I would be all after them anyways… :D

The only thing I don’t like about pence copies, as an italian, is that with the pence price they feel "less american", but otherwise we all know they are the same as the US editions. I just prefer the US edition because I consider Marvel characters to be an authentic american (USA) product, but if I was british I would be all after them anyways… :D

Valliant,

do you have any pences???

i only have that one Captain America 241 but I have some british 6 and 8 D pricing covers from the 1950s

someone on these boards has a pretty cool pence Iron Man 55

I agree...Less popular issues might sell at closer to half - two thirds the value of there U.S. counterpart... Key issues usually closer to two thirds the price of the U.S. edition. I'm not an authority on pence edition comics and my experience with them has been limited. When I've acquired them in the past I've sold at closer to half price just to get rid of them. :blush:

I guess the difference might be that I'm in the UK and probably see more people wanting to collect pence than there are currently in the US. I've never had a problem getting two thirds of cents price. That is with having sold a wide range from low grade copper to slabbed FF # 1 pence copies.

There are a few pence comics floating around in peoples collections here in Australia. During the 60's/70's there was a migration of British and some brought with them their comic books. These books are less favoured then the U.S. cover price editions but are still bought as they are the same printed book.

145139.jpg.3d726a1513b715d07ff38544555f7d7d.jpg

Valliant,

do you have any pences???

i only have that one Captain America 241 but I have some british 6 and 8 D pricing covers from the 1950s

someone on these boards has a pretty cool pence Iron Man 55

I have very few, because as I said I usually avoid them. I have a Thor, a Tales of Suspense (the 1st Titanium Man), which in fact I kept and gave away the dollar copy I had because it was in lower grade, and some Shade the Changing man, I think, but nothing more.

But I do have original UK editions of Captain Britain, the Daredevils, the Mighty World of Marvel, etc. that – since they contain original british-produced material are first editions (and I am not even sure some of them has been published in the US).

I know for sure there is the second Captain Britain run (by Davis/Delano) which ran in the X-Men archives (in color, and with new, different covers by Davis) but not sure about the Moore/Davis run – I love them in their original B&W. :)

I dont discriminate between Pence and Cents and have lots of both.

I read British comics as a kid until I discovered American comics, then I never looked back.

I have wallpapered my comic rooms in the past with the covers of British comics, probably not the wisest move in hindsight, I still have loads of British stuff in storage though but it holds little or no value to me in collection terms.

Sorry for the distracting British Photos, I just wanted to back up what I was saying :foryou:

P2280017.jpg

P2280015.jpg

P2280010.jpg

P2280022.jpgP5250008.jpg

wow those are awesome!!!! Love it!!!!!

I have a good friend going to London Comic Con and he has my list and what i will pay. Hopefully im walking away from London Con with something good pences :)

i just want to emphasize the comics I showed above are British comics and not what are commonly known as Pence issues :makepoint: