• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Most Overvalued Comic Out There...

98 posts in this topic

Green Lantern 76. I love the cover, love Neal Adams, appreciate it's historical importance and scarcity in high grade, but $255 for an 8.0? Gah! Even a restored 6.0 went for $50 last month.

And yes, I am looking for a copy...

I own only the Cap 100 and could care less about IM 1. I think that the first app in their own title should be worth something more, but I don't think it should be worth more than a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th AND 6th appearance. If the value of Ghost Rider 1 was on par with say MS 6 or 7, then IMO it wouldn't be overvalued.

Brian

Green Lama # 7 $410 in 9.2

Jamboree # 1 $270 in 9.2

" " # 2 $160 in 9.2

Captain Gallant # 1 $85 in 9.2

Captain Marvel # 51 $340 in 9.2

Hoards of these books were found.They are so common that I have gotten them free from dealer's over the years. grin.gif

Of course, that was after you spent $47 million with them first, right? poke2.gif

What about Thing # 16 (Charlton) as the most overvalued? At one time it was THE most valuable issue in that run, now it's the least valuable...? Yet even so, it seems tres pricey. Even with the "injury to eye" panel, it's way overrated, I fear.

Green Lama # 7 $410 in 9.2

Jamboree # 1 $270 in 9.2

" " # 2 $160 in 9.2

Captain Gallant # 1 $85 in 9.2

Captain Marvel # 51 $340 in 9.2

Hoards of these books were found.They are so common that I have gotten them free from dealer's over the years. grin.gif

Of course, that was after you spent $47 million with them first, right? poke2.gif

What about Thing # 16 (Charlton) as the most overvalued? At one time it was THE most valuable issue in that run, now it's the least valuable...? Yet even so, it seems tres pricey. Even with the "injury to eye" panel, it's way overrated, I fear.

There was a warehouse find of this issue a couple of years ago - the book took a nosedive in value not too long afterwards.

I'd suggest F.F. 48, Hulk 102, and Silver Surfer 4 to start with.

confused.gif

Fraid so. I love these books, but they aren't scarce in the least, except in super HG. If there was lower distribution of the Surfer 4 compared to the other issues around it, the market doesn't bear this out - it's very easy to find. All '68 books are easy to find.

Plus there've been warehouse finds of FF 48.

I was curious to see what you guys think: What do you think is the most overvalued comic around?

There are five books that come immediately to mind.

1. Hulk #181

2. Hulk #181

3. Hulk #181

4. Hulk #181

5. Hulk #181

Oh, and X-Men #94 is pretty close, given that it is only the second appearance of the new X-Men team.

Green Lantern 76. I love the cover, love Neal Adams, appreciate it's historical importance and scarcity in high grade, but $255 for an 8.0? Gah! Even a restored 6.0 went for $50 last month.

And yes, I am looking for a copy...

I have an extra copy if you want it. Not in the best shape though....PM if interested.

obviously, chris and I are in total agreement about GL 76 being undervalued in the guide still. Hard to find that book in high grade, mostly because the print run was pretty low relatively speaking on that book.

Bats 232 is probably a little over valued right now.

Detective 400, still very undervalued in the guide.

But MOST overrated books include:

Hulk 181 (but 180 is probably undervalued)

Giant Size X-Men #1

X-Men 94

Cap 100 (rediculously common book)

Iron Man 1

Sub Mariner 1

Avengers 4 (yeah, yeah, I know, super key, but it's rediculous how many of these are out there)

Green Lantern 59 (1st App. of Guy Gardner... whoopee!)

Doctor Strange 169

Amazing Spider Man 298 and 300

I wish I could find all these warehouse find books at warehouse find prices!

I agree that Cap 100, IM 1 and Subby 1 are just getting darn expensive and are routinely selling above guide in 8.5-9.2

You've got to negotiate tougher on these books then:

I can find all three in 8.5 - 9.2 (8.5 below guide) (9.0 at or below guide) and (9.2 at guide) easily... and that's slabbed.

I've seen stickers on these books, but once you start in with the dealers, these books were the warehouse books and they're common, the price starts dropping by $100 +.

I won't even touch Cap 100 (other than for my personal collection) because they're so darn common.

Iron Man 1 is a little tougher, but try getting a dealer to pay you a decent price on any of those three books -- they generally won't do it.

I'll throw out the most overpriced comics in the past.

GI Joe 2... $150 at its peak???

Longshot 1, X-men 201, New Mutants 86, $25 each was standard

Spiderman 1, X-men 1, Youngblood 1.... for anything over cover price

Spiderman 149 $150 in VFNM??

Punisher War Journal 6 7 $30 other 80's Punishers

TMNT replica comics (Radioactive Hamsters etc)... anything more than free.

Wolverine #1 $30 raw NM, oh wait it still sells for $30 and I can't seem to find one. Anyone have a copy or two or a hundred.

I'll throw out the most overpriced comics in the past.

GI Joe 2... $150 at its peak???

Longshot 1, X-men 201, New Mutants 86, $25 each was standard

Spiderman 1, X-men 1, Youngblood 1.... for anything over cover price

Spiderman 149 $150 in VFNM??

Punisher War Journal 6 7 $30 other 80's Punishers

TMNT replica comics (Radioactive Hamsters etc)... anything more than free.

Wolverine #1 $30 raw NM, oh wait it still sells for $30 and I can't seem to find one. Anyone have a copy or two or a hundred.

Nice list. I'd add the following:

Daredevil 257 and Punisher 10 crossovers

X-Men 244 (1st Jubilee)

X-Men 266 (1st full Gambit)

Now, the DD and Punisher aren't even broken out, and no one cares. There just isn't the demand for the Jubilee and Gambit issues, which makes them, by definition, overpriced. The same can be said for mid-grade Marvel SA.